Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe's population increases, effects debated on YouTube

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

European statistical database Eurostat reported growth in the European population of 1.4 million people from January 1, 2009 to January 1, 2010. The July 27 report by Eurostat revealed that the populations of countries within the European Union (EU27) increased from 499.7 million to 501.1 million; the five countries with the biggest increases in population were Ireland, the United Kingdom, France, Cyprus and Sweden.

Just cant take it anymore we will over flow :(:pac:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/europersquos-population-increases-effects-debated-on-youtube-2036747.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Rock on!

That's 1.4 million more tits.. that I can look at in 18 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

That's 1.4 million more tits.. that I can look at in 18 years.

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What is there to debate? We're screwing everything up, there isn't any more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

i would have thought thats quite low..half a BILLION is the population of the european union..but it only increases by a million or so in 1 year..plus how much of this is immigration from outside europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Effects debated on YouTube" I can just imagine the level of discourse.

OMG WTF IS DIS ****TTTT?!?!?!?! YOU EURO SCUM

Shut it Yank! Europe is UBER!!!

Hey guys subscribe to my channel!!!!!!!!!!

OH GREAT 1MILLION MORE SOCCER PLAYERS. Football rules!!!!

YOU MEAN HAND EGG?!!?!?!

Nazi nazis nazis nazis!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no asia is at overflow, when you consider countries like china or india on their own have 3 times the population of all eu countries combined

anyway just look at the countries that are increasing, its obvious that immigration not birth rate is causing the increase

rossie1977 wrote: »
    no asia is at overflow, when you consider countries like china or india on their own have 3 times the population of all eu countries combined

Are you saying that we should only be concerned about population in terms of how 'full' countries are??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

How will we overflow? I'd love to see a situation where every European had to stand up straight at all times in case they knock someone over, heralding a domino effect knocking every other person over into the sea. Unlikely, I know, but judging by the OP its a very serious risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Denerick wrote: »
    How will we overflow? I'd love to see a situation where every European had to stand up straight at all times in case they knock someone over, heralding a domino effect knocking every other person over into the sea. Unlikely, I know, but judging by the OP its a very serious risk.

Try to read what they are saying.
    They are saying resources etc.. will run low we will be in trouble.

I havent viewed the youtube debate yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

afaik , the rate of Earths population growth is decreasing. I think the peak was in around the 50s or 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Are you saying that we should only be concerned about population in terms of how 'full' countries are??

according to reports natural birth/death rates in most european countries and russia will result in negative population growth by 2025 and most predict as early as 2013. this in itself poses huge problems in hugely industralised nations like france and germany which depend on a large working population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

caseyann wrote: »

Just cant take it anymore we will over flow :(:pac:

How is an increase in population of 0.22% going to suddenly cause an overflow?

How is an increase in population of 0.22% going to suddenly cause an overflow?

It was a joke :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

You know what they say about a recession...gets colder when you can't afford heating;)

Seriously though, that's massive! Wonder how it'll go if it keeps increasing.

according to reports natural birth/death rates in most european countries and russia will result in negative population growth by 2025 and most predict as early as 2013. this in itself poses huge problems in hugely industralised nations like france and germany which depend on a large working population

I couldn't care less about germany's working population to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I couldn't care less about germany's working population to be quite honest.

Because we are completely isolated from Germany. It's not like they have lent us money. Or are a very big economy or anything. We probably wouldn't notice if they all died.

Yep, we are so lucky that our economy is so isolated from all these other euro countries with funny languages. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Population density in China/India is lower than some European countries.

And your average European tends to consume (and hence pollute) more than your average Indian

Because we are completely isolated from Germany. It's not like they have lent us money. Or are a very big economy or anything. We probably wouldn't notice if they all died.

Yep, we are so lucky that our economy is so isolated from all these other euro countries with funny languages. :rolleyes:

No need to try to be condescending. What I was getting at is that in terms of things that are really important the effect of over population might have on any countries economy is insignificant.

It was a joke :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry - I missed the hilarity bit.

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Population density in China/India is lower than some European countries.

And your average European tends to consume (and hence pollute) more than your average Indian

Could that also be because in India they have no census.Or do they frequent the slum shacks and count the people?

Statistics?

Oh, sorry - I missed the hilarity bit.

Not my fault you dont know joke from serious ;) if you would like to read what they are saying,is with increase we simply havent got resources for such a increase in the statistics of what they are predicting.

Not my fault you dont know joke from serious ;) if you would like to read what they are saying,is with increase we simply havent got resources for such a increase in the statistics of what they are predicting.

I read the article & it doesn't actually say that.

All it says, is that the general concencus of the effects of which population increases might have, are being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

No way. I've looked it up, and for example, the Indians did this Union Carbide thing a few years ago where they like totally polluted everything and probably ruined progress for the rest of us.

Also, there is no such thing as the "average European". We are different in our own ways due to liberal democracy, and therefore can't be compared to the average Indian.

Disclaimer: I am mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

No need to try to be condescending. What I was getting at is that in terms of things that are really important the effect of over population might have on any countries economy is insignificant.

There is a huge disconnect between what you are saying here and what I quoted. If you believe the threat of over-population is exaggerated, fair enough. However, excuse my ignorance, if I couldn't read between the lines when you state you couldn't care less about a sizeable population.

Irish-German relations are very important, particularly to Ireland. Have a gander at this page if you'd like to know more.

My tone, however, was condescending not because I believe our relations with Germany are important, but because you appear to be completely apathetic about the well-being of a large group of people. It's quite self-centred.

I read the article & it doesn't actually say that.

All it says, is that the general concencus of the effects of which population increases might have, are being discussed.

Isnt that what i said? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Could that also be because in India they have no census.

There are ways besides holding a census to establish the population of a country.

There are ways besides holding a census to establish the population of a country.

Currently, India is second largest country in the world after China in terms of population.

Current Population of India in 2010:

Current Population of India in 2010 - 1,150,000,000 (1.15 billion):eek:

Population of India in 1947 was - 350 million

http://www.gits4u.com/envo/envo4.htm

Advertisement