Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazing stories of survival,have you any of your own?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Most amazing survival story I've ever head: Joe Simpson's ill fated attempt at climbing the mountain Siula Grande in Peru. The book, Touching the Void, and the film of the same name, are both excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah Jaysus this one time it was Friday evening and I was sitting around the house just watching DVDs. I finish Schindler's List and decided to lighten it up so I stick on Supertroopers, walk to the fridge with a plan to crack open a few beers.

But when I got there, the cupboard fridge was bare. Not a can in sight!

I glanced at my totally rad 80's retro Casio digital watch and saw the time was 3 minutes to ten.

Three minutes to 10????? :eek:

And me living 5 minutes from the nearest off-licence!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Out the door with me, no shoes on my feet but the threat of broken glass and dog excrement was no deterrent. This was a mission that was more important than foot safety, more important than personal dignity (I was also only wearing boxer shorts and a t-shirt).

I sprinted, I ran, I pelted it down the road. Children out playing late in the street were knocked backward by the wind caused by my speed as I hurtled down the hill towards the Spar. I gave my all, I vaulted over buggies, dogs and illegally parked Nissan Micras. I was bettering my all time best time, the time I had to leg it down for last pints on Holy Thursday 2007.

I was faster than Mercury, the messenger of the Roman Gods. I was speedier than Lucy Kennedy in pursuit of a new energy-related advertising campaign. I was faster than Twink, after a small bit of exposure on a third rate RTE talk show.

But still, despite all of this, despite giving my all and pushing myself beyond limits that mere mortals would have crumbled long before, despite being all I could be, I was not there in time.

The shutters around the small fridge section of Spar were down.

The look of regret on the cashier's face was heart-breaking as he realised that here was a man who had given his all for a few cans of Dutch Gold and had been denied.

It was the night of the dry.

The night of no beer.

The cold, lonely dark night of the soul.

AnonoBoy had no beer but yet somehow I managed to survive.

F*ck that cannibal rugby team in Argentina.

I am the embodiment of survival.

Where's my true-life movie?

Where's my medal?

I thank you,

AnonoBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It was my mate Dave's birthday last week, the amount of Jack Daniels we pumped into him, I'm surprised he's alive at all. Amazing story of survival right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

It was touch and go for me last sat afternoon.I walked along the liffey boardwalk from O'Connell bridge to Liberty hall.Had to run the last 20 meters dodgeing junkies Zombies,but i made it.Jumped on my bus before any of them could react,
    Another time i was on the beer in limerick when.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I was on the LUAS at half eleven last night ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm from Coolock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Once nearly went a day with a ****. Nearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Was in town with my family when I was 7, one of the wooden boards that is used to cordon off building sites collasped on me and another man. It landed straight on my head but caused no damage to me, the other man could barely move his arms or legs when he was taken away in an ambulance. I was so lucky that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I finish Schindler's List you,

Speaking of stories of survival...

This guy gets it from me.. Cutting off your own arm like..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I once watched "Titanic" from start to finish. Three years later, I came out of the coma & have been healthy ever since.

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I finish Schindler's List
    This sounds ominously like you were trying to finish the list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

caseyann wrote: »
    The 15-year-old plunged more than 160ft from a balcony of the high-rise Proximity Apartments in Auckland's Manukau district, and landed on a concrete floor.

The alarm was raised by another resident of the apartment block, who was out on his balcony smoking a cigarette when the boy fell past him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/7909794/New-Zealand-teenager-survives-falling-16-storeys.html

Wish the poor lad a speedy recovery.

You see kid, smoking can kill.

greetings wrote: »
    didnt you mean without ? or are you a monk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

[quote=[Deleted User];67132043]didnt you mean without ? or are you a monk?[/QUOTE]

I think we should start to discuss the masturbation habits of clergy.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

When I was younger about 7 or 8, my mother was going to Galway to visit relations, I would always go with her. The morning we were meant to be going something told me not to get in the car, she thought I was just acting up being a brat, but I point blank refused to go, I just had a feeling.....

Driving back a bull came out on the road and smashed into the passenger side where i would have been sitting. completely took out the passenger side, horns in through the window swinging around as the bull was in a panic. The car was wrecked.

Dunno if its a tale of survival but i avoided potentially serious injuries anyway. My mother thought i was some kind of psychic after that!

I think we should start to discuss the masturbation habits of clergy.
    i think you will be on your own there but work away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

My friend passed out on a railway track in Australia. He was hit by a train which hooked him by the chest and dragged him for 60 yards leaving him opened up like a can of sardines, fractured skull, broken ribs, punctured lung, broken leg, shattered ankle and multiple lacerations. He was in a coma for 6 weeks and the doctors had all but written him off. When he came round, his first words were - "Get these ****ing tubes out of me!"

Today he is fine apart from short term memory problems and a vicious scar like a zip up his chest.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Reminds me of Biggins post on how much the world wants him dead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58341630&postcount=14

Considering this was a few years ago I wonder what life has thrown at him since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Reminds me of Biggins post on how much the world wants him dead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58341630&postcount=14

Considering this was a few years ago I wonder what life has thrown at him since then

is there anything that man hasn't been through? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Transgender surgery.

That we know of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Hmm i tried to run away from the north side gang in an armed robbery that was kinda funny i guess having guy with a sawn off chase me while all i could think of was gotta put lunch in the canteen, odd day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus,

He rose from the dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Jesus,

He rose from the dead

Then he didn’t survive did he? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jesus,

He rose from the dead
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

by the looks of that post he's been wading through a lot of bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

greetings wrote: »

I think you might have made a spelling error here.

Surely you are not telling us that you've never cracked one off before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I moved from dublin to kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

RonMexico wrote: »
    My friend passed out on a railway track in Australia. He was hit by a train which hooked him by the chest and dragged him for 60 yards leaving him opened up like a can of sardines, fractured skull, broken ribs, punctured lung, broken leg, shattered ankle and multiple lacerations. He was in a coma for 6 weeks and the doctors had all but written him off. When he came round, his first words were - "Get these ****ing tubes out of me!"

Today he is fine apart from short term memory problems and a vicious scar like a zip up his chest.

Legend.

I'm glad he's alive and all that, but there is nothing legendary about that, your friend is an idiot, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm glad he's alive and all that, but there is nothing legendary about that, your friend is an idiot, pure and simple.

Me; I'd like to know how he passed out before calling him an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i survived the deadliest disease of all and that is of course man flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Insurgent wrote: »
    Me; I'd like to know how he passed out before calling him an idiot.

I can't think of a single case where you'd pass out on a train track apart from being paraletically drunk or high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i have a story of survival

it started at midnight when i was called into the office. back at home, my daughter had sneaked out of the house with people who wanted to abduct her.

my name is federal agent jack bauer

and that was the longest day of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I can't think of a single case where you'd pass out on a train track apart from being paraletically drunk or high.

Em Australia heat exhaustion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

caseyann wrote: »
    Em Australia heat exhaustion!
    You can't get heat exhaustion in the parts of Australia that Irish fúckwits go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Depends on what he meant by passed out. Friend of a friend "passed out" ie simply fainted as a train pulled in. Woke up 'sans' one arm. **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I was on the LUAS at half eleven last night ....
    Was it the red line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Have I ever told you of my backpacking excursions of self-discovery in east Africa? Well, then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

You can't get heat exhaustion in the parts of Australia that Irish fúckwits go to.

Irish ****wits,whats that in aid of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Mine's not so amazing, but still I survived!
    Was go - karting in Italy, what seems to be a fairly safe thing to do, but crashed into some tyres at high speed because of some messing around going on on the tracks, knocked into the steering wheel and lacerated three major internal organs. Got to the hospital in time, gave me all the scans, said I'd basically have a 50/50 chance of survival and have to undergo an extensive bout of major surgery, cutting from my breastbone to groin. Went along, came out the other side, had severe complications. (No gory detail, lets just say I was pretty f*d up inside.) Came back to Ireland, no idea how they let me on the plane. Came to Limerick where I had to undergo similar major surgery, came out fine, got MRSA. At the end, I was a tiny 6 stone (I'm 5"10), severely scarred but alive. It was two years ago, but I'm well recovered today. Just glad of such a brilliant medical team and my friends and family who looked after me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mcgrath

Ah Jaysus this one time it was Friday evening and I was sitting around the house just watching DVDs. I finish Schindler's List and decided to lighten it up so I stick on Supertroopers, walk to the fridge with a plan to crack open a few beers.

But when I got there, the cupboard fridge was bare. Not a can in sight!

I glanced at my totally rad 80's retro Casio digital watch and saw the time was 3 minutes to ten.

Three minutes to 10????? :eek:

And me living 5 minutes from the nearest off-licence!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Out the door with me, no shoes on my feet but the threat of broken glass and dog excrement was no deterrent. This was a mission that was more important than foot safety, more important than personal dignity (I was also only wearing boxer shorts and a t-shirt).

I sprinted, I ran, I pelted it down the road. Children out playing late in the street were knocked backward by the wind caused by my speed as I hurtled down the hill towards the Spar. I gave my all, I vaulted over buggies, dogs and illegally parked Nissan Micras. I was bettering my all time best time, the time I had to leg it down for last pints on Holy Thursday 2007.

I was faster than Mercury, the messenger of the Roman Gods. I was speedier than Lucy Kennedy in pursuit of a new energy-related advertising campaign. I was faster than Twink, after a small bit of exposure on a third rate RTE talk show.

But still, despite all of this, despite giving my all and pushing myself beyond limits that mere mortals would have crumbled long before, despite being all I could be, I was not there in time.

The shutters around the small fridge section of Spar were down.

The look of regret on the cashier's face was heart-breaking as he realised that here was a man who had given his all for a few cans of Dutch Gold and had been denied.

It was the night of the dry.

The night of no beer.

The cold, lonely dark night of the soul.

AnonoBoy had no beer but yet somehow I managed to survive.

F*ck that cannibal rugby team in Argentina.

I am the embodiment of survival.

Where's my true-life movie?

Where's my medal?

I thank you,

AnonoBoy
    brilliantly told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Transgender surgery.

That we know of!

i'm sure he's dabbled in some way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Narcolepsy.

Advertisement