Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Stuart Pearson?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I've been out of the country for a while, but reading the Irish Times today I came across this very interesting story:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0515/1224246568925.html

Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to who Stuart Pearson might be.

A bit of digging found some stories in the IT about proposed bids by Mr Pearson's investment vehicle Pearson Holdings for Aer Lingus and Taggart Holdings, which don't seem to have come to anything. Also found a very funny wikipedia entry that seems to be regularly edited.

Anyone know the man? Has he managed to fool people into believing he runs a multi-million euro empire, or is the sweet shop just a cover for the next Denis O'Brien?
    MICHAEL PARSONS

A “BILLIONAIRE” businessman linked with a string of high-profile potential investments has been identified as a sweet-shop owner based in rural Co Kilkenny.

Stuart Pearson (25), a native of Co Wicklow, lives in a rented house in the village of Goresbridge and operates the shop at a rented premises in the nearby town of Graiguenamanagh.

Over the past year, there have been claims in national and regional media that he was the head of a major investment company which sought to acquire a 30 per cent stake in Aer Lingus; was approached by SR Technics to invest “€25 million” in the troubled avionics company; and had offered “€450 million” to acquire failed Northern Ireland property company Taggart Holdings.

His profile on the Wikipedia internet site refers to the Arklow-born businessman as having “interests in property development, retail, insurance [and] horse breeding”, adding his “personal wealth is valued at over €3 billion”. The entry claimed Mr Pearson had inherited substantial wealth. It also said he collected vintage Jaguar cars and used a helicopter for work.

Yesterday at his shop in Graiguenamanagh, which sells sweets, newspapers, Mass cards and some groceries, a female employee said that Mr Pearson was “not here”, had not been seen for a few days and was with his wife who was “sick”.

But at the rented pebble-dashed house in Goresbridge, his wife told The Irish Times she had “separated a while ago” from her husband, was unaware of his current whereabouts and knew nothing about his business deals. She accepted, however, that an elderly and much-repaired Northern Ireland-registered Jaguar Sovereign car parked outside belonged to her husband.

The couple and their two daughters have been living in the modest house for a year. In Goresbridge yesterday, people said they were surprised and sceptical about media reports of Mr Pearson’s wealth.

At a take-away restaurant on Barrack Street, Chrissie Travers said Mr Pearson was a “fierce nice chap” but “if someone told me he was a billionaire, I’d drop dead or give him an extra bag of chips”.

She said he often called in “on the way home from work” and ordered the “quarter-pounder meal deal” – which at €6.70 includes “a can” – but sometimes “he goes for the chicken curry” (at €5.80).

Ms Travers said she had “never heard a helicopter taking off”.

Repeated efforts to contact Mr Pearson proved unsuccessful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

He played for Man U in the 70s, most likely not the same guy though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That's ****ing funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I am Robert Paulson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There was a Panorma programme dedicated about him just last week 11/05/09.

It is/was on again this morning repeated at 1.55 am BBC Northern Ireland - I think!
    DOCUMENTARY: Panorama
    On: BBC 1 Northern Ireland (141)
    Time: 01:55 to 02:25 (30 minutes long)

The Six Billion Dollar Man.
    Twenty-twenty cricket promoter and banker Sir Allen Stanford arrived at Lords last summer by helicopter and was hailed as the saviour of the English game. Now the Texan is accused of a multi-billion dollar fraud. John Sweeney goes on the trail of the dark side of the off-shore banker who bowled over English cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that's my da :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carlow2009

OMG - I dont know where ive been for the last few months and how i havent heard anything about this person until yesterday when my mother told me about the article in the times! I used to go to school with Stuart Pearson. I remember when he came to our school (didnt start first year with us, think he joined around 5th year maybe) well he used to tell us that his father was like some 'Lord' up in Monaghan or Fermanagh or something!! Well anyway, he wasnt and Stuart used to live in Burrin Manor in Carlow town which is a housing estate which would be basically the lowest end housing estate in the town. He married a local girl - Sarah Lennon! I heard in was then living in Springfield Park - a council estate on The Burrin Road in Carlow town but now he rents a house in Goresbridge. He must be the biggest conman ever....how did he manage to get away with all this? He has NO money.... He is just a normal Joe Bloggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Who is Stuart Pearson?
    He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German.
    Nobody believed he was real.
    Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him,
    but to hear The Times tell it, anybody could have worked for Pearson.
    You never knew. That was his power.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
    And like that, poof. He's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

There was a guy in my class last year called Stuart Pearson. Got a serious fright when I first saw this thread.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Stuart Little was a mouse.

Does that help? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yep, same as schisim ,first thing I thought Stuart Pearson = Man Utd ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Don't ya just love Stuart Pearson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Who is Stuart Pearson?
    He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German.
    Nobody believed he was real.
    Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him,
    but to hear The Times tell it, anybody could have worked for Pearson.
    You never knew. That was his power.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
    And like that, poof. He's gone.

No you're getting him mixed up with the eldest of the Soze's- Kaiser, i think they called him.
    He and Stuart Pearson are first cousins of Rodrigo Cardoso
    Robert Paulson (mentioned above) has nothing to do with the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

i dont see how all the disrespectful and malicious detail put in the papers is relevant to anything. for them to merely mention that stuart pearson is no longer a candidate to invest would surely suffice. correct me if i'm wrong, business is not my forte but as a catholic and a humanitarian i find the distasteful 'literature' im reading lately about the given person to be souldestroying, to see so many journalists and others revel in a persons time of probable embarrassment. the man in question may hav been guilty in talkin himself up and he may be accused of wasting some companys' time or thought, such as aer lingus. i don't think that deserves the ridicule he's getting, it would be much more beneficial to the world if people could show some compassion and take the high road by refraining to jump on the bandwagon to accuse and make little of people who are less than perfect (who isn't) persuming the latest findings are true, and stuart did embellish his life, are we not human enough to let bygones be, cast no judgement but allow stuart to reconcile with himself and continue his life. persumin again that he did make up stories, he did it out of no badness so why would all the papers, and even a family member go to effort to highlight this? please enlighten me, i would like to know if there is a GOOD reason to highlight an error of judgement made my another human being in this often cruel world we live in. does anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

he scored for the devils in the cup final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Schism wrote: »
    He played for Man U in the 70s, most likely not the same guy though. :pac:
    i took a quick glance at the title and i thought of "psycho" :p

will someone plz repy to my post above, i wanna know if im the only one who's thinkin like i am????????????????? thanx :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jesus, motherhood has changed you lois.

my heart sank wen i saw you replied mord, but alas, your post was mild :) stuart was a little friend of mine wen we were young ones and ive been listenin to all the bull**** richkids takin the piss of him since then so im just kinda thinkin, give the dude a break, and i am a very nice person and always was!!!!! so you into captain morgans now i take it?

nah, it's just an awesome name.

yo stole it, captain morgans spiced rum, so any thoughts on stuart pearsons life been thorn apart, since every other thread on ah seems to be hoppin except here, think its a bit too deep and serious for here :)

• Advertisement

I never heard of him before I read this thread, but then I've been very busy masturbating.

:) masturbatin hasn't changed you :)

well it has left me a little raw in places.

kinda like motherhood, same area too :D

children truly are evil, evil things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Stu sounds like a righteous dude.

Play for Man United - check
    Inherit biliions - check
    Collect Jaguars - check
    Fly to work via helicopter - check
    Create Peason Holdings - check
    Bid for Aer Lingus and Taggart holdings - check

Spend €2 in an internet cafe and edit Wiki entry.

Priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Turns out that he is a sort of a Walter Mitty character;

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21876&hilit=stuart+pearson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    i took a quick glance at the title and i thought of "psycho" :p

Stuart Pearse = 'Psycho'

Stuart Pearson = 'Pancho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

So is he The Stig or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kEVIN2009

Just thought that fellow board members may be interested to learn that I live near Mr Pearson. Pretty nice fellow to be honest. Anyhow, a local youth was arrested in relation to the Wiki article and seemly has admitted to making up alot of the contents. However, I would point out that Mr Pearson, does own his home.(I know who he bought it from). Its a 6 bed, two storey, not a cottage as reported and he actualy does drive a jaguar.

Not sure what the outcome of all this shall be, but I'm informed that he has taken legal action against several newspapers. I noted that an apology appeared in Thursday edition.

I eagerly await to see more retractions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement