Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Old People

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Yea my granny has had a few funny ones while at mass.

After shaking hands with someone in mass, she came home to describe them "as black as my boot".

I was questioned whether I could tell the difference between Nigerians and other black people. I was informed that Nigerians were the ones with the massive arses.

My grandad has a Filipino helper in the house, and for the first month he was there he would keep asking my granny, "when's the china-man going home?" Thankfully the helper has a decent sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

When I was little I saw a black man at a bus stop and burst into tears. "Oh the poor poor man, what happened to him, was he burnt?" I said to my mam.

The furious glares the guy gave us - probably a prince from Africa in those days. He was ripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

My nan was in hospital a few years back, and some Muslim doctor came in and was really kind and friendly to her, my nan then turned to my mam and said "See, they gain your trust, and that's why they make such good suicide bombers."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    My nan was in hospital a few years back, and some Muslim doctor came in and was really kind and friendly to her, my nan then turned to my mam and said "See, they gain your trust, and that's why they make such good suicide bombers."

Oh jaysus:D:eek::D:eek:

One of those moments where ya wish the floor will open and swallow ya up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Oh jaysus:D:eek::D:eek:

One of those moments where ya wish the floor will open and swallow ya up!!

To be fair, the doctor didn't take it that badly, he pretended not to hear her:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Mickeroo wrote: »
    the word Negro is short for negroid, it should be no more offensive than calling a white person caucasian(short for caucasoid). people from the far east are mongoloid which also sounds offensive but is actually a scientific term too.

Negro is also spainish for black.

EDIT: durr, read full respone in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I'll never forget the first time my son saw a black child. He was about three years old at the time, and we were walking down the street, when a Nigerian lady came out of a shop with her son, who was around 4 or 5 years old.

My lad shouted, at the top of his lungs "Look, Mum, that boy didn't wash his face!".
    The Nigerian lady was not at all amused!!!

Cue one mortified apology, followed by a hasty explanation that he had never seen an African before, while my OH muttered a hasty explanation to my son. She was so shocked at the idea that parts of Ireland still weren't multicultural that she forgot to be offended, and we ended up laughing about it.

I still cringe when I think about it, though!

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

I brough my OAP neighbour out for a Sunday spin :D recently and we had coffee al-fresco in a seaside village. A couple of young black boy's came strolling up the road, my neighbour then started nodding and winking at us and shaking her head in the direction of the boy's who were now right beside us. I don't think she meant it in a racist way, it was more like "hey look at the black boy's". The rest of the group nearly died of mortification and just ignored her.

The funny thing is her sister in Dagenham, London is married to a man from the West Indies with about 50 years and her nieces and nephews are black, so I don't know why she was so shocked to see black people, it's not as if she hasn't met her own family before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Here_Young_Wan

Think alot of it is a generation thing, not that I am excusing it but they grew up in diffrent times. There were literally no black people in Ireland back then and they are pretty much uneductated on the matter. Its not racist but my granda said just recently "what is the world coming to when a man can marry another man". I told him I thought love of between two people reguardless of their gender was to be celebrated. He did seem to have a think about it.

My Nan is more patronising than straight up insulting to foriegn doctors. I think she find them cute and endearing or something and will say something along the lines of "Oh the little black doctor looked after me" even if he was 7ft she always calls them little.

Personally I don't think anyone should be racist, but I find harder to deal with from the younger generation who I think she know better. Anyone like that I always just think "Jesus Christ you must be so amazingly stupid to think in that way in this day and age". Always have and always will associate racism with unintelligence. I mean you really do need to be thick as a wall to not be able to work out how idiotic hating someone who is the exact same as you other than the fact they have slighty more or less melanin in their skin and thats simple because where they are from orignially if they didn't they would be burnt by the sun. I mean if you want to hate someone because of that you really aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

My dad's term for a blade person.. "Look at that fúcking spade!". (Black as the ace of spades).

Poor old racist geezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Watching the final of the snooker after the pub one night years ago with a mate*. The father arrives in. He proceeds to enliven the proceedings by announcing - when yer man has good position on the black ball etc - that 'he's on the nigger', 'he can't win if doesn't keep on the nigger' and so on.....

*Yes, he was 'black'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Thats a thing I cant understand if the N word is so offensive to a black person why is it ok for them to say it and call themselves it

You get young white kids into rap that have no idea the meaning and history that is associated with it and would use it and and then be called a racist etc

If it is that offensive why are these rappers keeping it in their music

I seen an Oprah episode recently and she said she does not listen to rap because of this I think she was interviewing JayZ coud have been someone one else I cant remember
    well that's bull imo, people have forgotten what racism actually means. It means hating someone because of their race. I have yet to meet a single young person who genuinely hates other people because of their race. The word is only unacceptable in a malicious context, imo, and people should lighten the **** up. to kids like that it's just another word, like "dude"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

well that's bull imo, people have forgotten what racism actually means. It means hating someone because of their race. I have yet to meet a single young person who genuinely hates other people because of their race. The word is only unacceptable in a malicious context, imo, and people should lighten the **** up. to kids like that it's just another word, like "dude"

My nephew has 2 black friends in his class and he plays with some older black boys on the street they say whats up my nigga etc on the street listening to this on the street my nephew said this in the school yard to his 2 friends , a teacher overheard and the sh1t hit the fan letters came home and the teacher chastised him for saying that word all an innocent statement that he heard his peers saying

After talking to the principle of the school he said the teacher went over the top that day but that stuck with my nephew and it had to be explained what that word ment, The boys parents even agreed that the teacher went to far

So dont tell me its bull and its another just another word like dude or whatever either its a word that acceptable or its a no go word people need to make up their minds

Someone explained it was the people taking the word back like an empowerment thing , but it is still there and a new generation coming up learning it , if the usage of it is stopped ie through the music the word would just hopefully fizzle out

Its acceptable for black people to call each other it but not for others to thats keeping that divide there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

My nephew has 2 black friends in his class and he plays with some older black boys on the street they say whats up my nigga etc on the street listening to this on the street my nephew said this in the school yard to his 2 friends , a teacher overheard and the sh1t hit the fan letters came home and the teacher chastised him for saying that word all an innocent statement that he heard his peers saying

After talking to the principle of the school he said the teacher went over the top that day but that stuck with my nephew and it had to be explained what that word ment, The boys parents even agreed that the teacher went to far

So dont tell me its bull and its another just another word like dude or whatever either its a word that acceptable or its a no go word people need to make up their minds

Someone explained it was the people taking the word back like an empowerment thing , but it is still there and a new generation coming up learning it , if the usage of it is stopped ie through the music the word would just hopefully fizzle out

Its acceptable for black people to call each other it but not for others to thats keeping that divide there imo

How can you blame the teacher, in this context it was said in all innocence but how was the teacher to know that.

As for is the word acceptable or not, does it not depend on context, is paddy acceptable or not, we use it to describe each other, but if an English person used it many would then find it offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

The word is NIGGA used for homies hanging at the clubs with gold ropes around their necks not N@gg@er which was the word for slaves with ropes around there necks hanging from trees. Teacher needs an education.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How can you blame the teacher, in this context it was said in all innocence but how was the teacher to know that.

I was just giving an example how people jump the gun
    The teacher knows that these boys are good friends he is only 8 and has no comprehension of racism and what it means he has been with these boys from junior infants and socialized with them after school and summer holidays that day he learnt a word he thought was a term of endearment to his friends was a bad word. The teacher should have known better

(Im not getting into any argument with you weather he was being racist or not)

That is all I have to say on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shizle

This thread reminds me of one of my cousin's comments, who would have been six around the time of the earthquake in Haiti last January.

He had been watching the news coverage of the earthquake, looking at the pictures in the papers etc and was fascinated by the idea that a huge crack could suddenly just appear in the ground.

He was at the hospital with his mother. While in the waiting room, he noticed a black doctor near him.

My cousin: 'Thank God, you survived the earthquake:eek::eek:?!'

He was obviously under the illusion that all black people are Haitians and have experienced a horrific natural disaster :o

Thankfully the doctor, by all accounts, didn't take too much from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Westwood wrote: »
    The word is NIGGA used for homies hanging at the clubs with gold ropes around their necks not N@gg@er which was the word for slaves with ropes around there necks hanging from trees. Teacher needs an education.

yo bust a cap in dat teacher ho's ass:pac:

I was just giving an example how people jump the gun
    The teacher knows that these boys are good friends he is only 8 and has no comprehension of racism and what it means he has been with these boys from junior infants and socialized with them after school and summer holidays that day he learnt a word he thought was a term of endearment to his friends was a bad word. The teacher should have known better

(Im not getting into any argument with you weather he was being racist or not)

That is all I have to say on this

How are we getting into an argument??

It doesn't matter what age they are, yes it could have been handled differently, but you are not suggesting that the comment should have been ignored, are you? If it was your child on the end of a racist comment,unintentional as it is in this case, I'm sure you would not want it to be ignored, a quick friendly phone call/letter letting you know about the matter would have been sufficient which as a parent I'm sure you would welcome :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How are we getting into an argument??

It doesn't matter what age they are, yes it could have been handled differently, but you are not suggesting that the comment should have been ignored, are you? If it was your child on the end of a racist comment,unintentional as it is in this case, I'm sure you would not want it to be ignored, a quick friendly phone call/letter letting you know about the matter would have been sufficient which as a parent I'm sure you would welcome :)

The teacher shouldn't have reacted the way she did the parents of the boys and the principle even said so but that day My nephew learned that that word was a racist term keeping the word alive and going and confusing him

Its either right or its wrong , it should be down the middle imo

• Advertisement

The teacher shouldn't have reacted the way she did the parents of the boys and the principle even said so but that day My nephew learned that that word was a racist term keeping the word alive and going and confusing him

Its either right or its wrong , it should be down the middle imo

So how should it have been handled then? He now knows the word is not acceptable, I agree letters should not have been sent out, one letter would have sufficed, schools have responsibilities to educate kids and I would actually be grateful to the school that they made the parents aware, all too often we say their is not enough communication between schools and parents. I agree with you that at that age kids don't know what any of these words mean and in this case it was said as a term of endearment to his mates :), but as the word really is not acceptable, just like the F word etc is not and should also be pulled up on in school.

I agree with you in regards it is either right or wrong and imo it is wrong, it is not a word that would be acceptable in the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Have an uncle nicknamed Sambo with a lovely base-tan.

I thought it was because he liked sandwiches :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have an uncle nicknamed Sambo with a lovely base-tan.

I thought it was because he liked sandwiches :(

Ha that reminds me, there's loads of people on my mam's side of the family called Paddy so they have to be referred to as Tall Paddy, Ann's Paddy, Old Paddy etc. Anyways, one of them is black and is called Black Paddy, I think he's dead now. I asked my mam one time did she not think it was awful he was called Black Paddy and she said they were all too polite to call him Fat Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

there's a wisdom and honesty that comes with old age...dont tell me the pc brigade wont to take that away now???? NO FCUKING WAY. you've everthing ruined else now just fcuk off.
    grandads can say "blackies" and "puff" they've earned the right.
    I've never bought in to the notion that age automatically imbues you with wisdom.

Intelligent, open-minded people will indeed learn and grow wiser through the cumulative experiences of their years, but ignorant bigots just seem to become more ignorant and bigoted as they get older.

It goes against the romantic sentiments of some, but there are 25-year-olds far wiser than many of their grey-haired counterparts.

It would also appear that you're confusing honesty with tactlessness.

Advertisement