Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW "confident" of €100 road tax a year 3 series

Options
  • 25-04-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

No loss in performance, but they are planning on getting the 318d to do 120 g/km for CO2. Currently it does 123 g/km, so shaving 3 g/km off shouldn't be too hard for them, and that's why they are giving it a go.

Of course, they're trying to get it into the 120 g/km threshold to try and deprive Red Ken of £8 a day for the London Congestion Charge, and hence allow people to travel around London and not have to pay, and sell more cars:D!

But we will now benefit after July from BMW's plans, as it will reduce the purchase price of a 318d from €44,800 now, to €38,206 in July for the current 123 g/km derivative, and of course another 2% VRT off in time for October 27(that's the day the Congestion Charge becomes a tax on pollution) apparently which could bring it down to around €37,500(though they might up the pre VRT price for the lower CO2 model) which would negate some of the saving, and of course a road tax bill of only €100 a year.

I think it's safe to say what the best selling 3 series in Ireland will be in July anyway:D! Linky to where I got this info from

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'd not be gone on any low emission car, they just don't sound fun to be honest. "oooo, my car has lower emissions then yours!":D:rolleyes: Hardly good pub talk about motors now is it?! However I do enjoy the fact that this will be exempt from the congestion charge, Red Ken won't be happy that the bourgeois middle classes will be able to drive a BMW into London free of charge.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If a low emissions vehicle gets a lower purchase price and road tax savings, then it's worth talking about, especially when the only catch is well... there is none, it's hardly that difficult to shave 3 g/km off a car.

Of course if VRT wasn't changing nobody would care, do you really think I'd bother informing people of these things if there wasn't something good to be gained out of it:)?

I'd much rather we bragged about CO2 rather than engine size, how many times have I heard someone saying they'll buy car x but it must have an engine size no bigger than x.x litres?

FWIW it's not exactly a complete sluggard, 0-100 in 9.3 seconds and a top speed of 210 km/h is far from bad(no it's not your Audi S5 but then again how many cars are?) for a 2.0 litre engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I still reckon there is no replacement for displacement!:D Fair play to BMW though, that 100E road tax is going to have them queuing around the block, I have to say I'm not sad to see the old underpowered 316i gone, I always though such base models were an affront to BMW and the marque in general.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will they be getting the V8 M3 down to that tax class also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

astraboy wrote: »
    I still reckon there is no replacement for displacement!:D Fair play to BMW though, that 100E road tax is going to have them queuing around the block, I have to say I'm not sad to see the old underpowered 316i gone, I always though such base models were an affront to BMW and the marque in general.
    Ah now, forced induction engines are a good idea too!

As for the 316i, couldn't agree with you more. I never thought 4 cylinder BMWs were terribly interesting, more badge than Ultimate Driving Machine, it's the 6 cylinder models that are worth talking about really(putting your foot down confirms why:D), though the new 123d engine is spectacular technologically speaking at any rate, and the 520d getting in at only 136 g/km is not to be sniffed at either, 177 bhp from a 2.0 4 cylinder engine is rather impressive, especially for a diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

kbannon wrote: »
    Will they be getting the V8 M3 down to that tax class also :D

In my dreams :p but if they ever do Im in heaven

Advertisement