Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTE

Options
  • 07-02-2013 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Just wondering if it'll be worth waiting for in terms of buying a new handset?

I need a new phone. I was thinking of a GS3 or a Nexus 4, but neither are LTE enabled.

I don't want to spend more than say 400e (was going to pick up a second hand S3).

Will I miss LTE when it becomes available?

Is it that good?

Or should I save a little more money and buy an Xperia Z?

I just really wish this iPhone dead! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It will be some time before it gets here, they're bidding on the frequency range I read somewhere, feck knows what that means!
    It's supposedly a couple of times faster than HSPA?
    If you want to be confused try to read some of the wikipedia entries for mobile internet, oyy...
    I'm happy enough with my SGS2 for now, my next phone will most likely have LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

OP, I think it all comes down to how long would you expect to keep your phone. Realistically, if you love outside of Dublin, it will probably be at least 12 months until you see LTE. Aa well, I don't think its even that big a deal, initially at least. 4G launched in the UK in October 2012, the launch there was subdued to say the least. I can see why tbh. I mean, what do you currently do with your phone day to day that would be vastly improved with a 4G network? I cant think of very much tbh, and I think the reason why is most services we currently avaial of are design ed to work well with 3G/HSDPA networks.

Point being, until we see some sort of 4G traction in this country, you wont see any of the benefits it will bring, and that'll be a couple of years more. I wouldn't think too many people are even aware that 4G is on the way tbh... They'll know when the networks start marketing it, no sooner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Thanks guys.

I think it'll have to be a Nexus 4 for me so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

4G will stuck your battery faster than 3G when it's in use. Also you may loose FM radio on an LTE phone. Just some of the disadvantages in case they matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The version of LTE we get in Ireland will more then likely not be compatible with the US spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The version of LTE we get in Ireland will more then likely not be compatible with the US spectrum.

I'm not 100% on this but I think Ireland is getting the same bands as the US, just divided between the Irish carriers. I remember looking up channel 4 because the Nexus 4 can use LTE on that band. That was a while ago now so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I'm not 100% on this but I think Ireland is getting the same bands as the US, just divided between the Irish carriers. I remember looking up channel 4 because the Nexus 4 can use LTE on that band. That was a while ago now so I could be wrong.

No, it isn't. Irish bands/frequencies are 20/800, 8/900 and 3/1800.

USA bands/frequencies are 4/(1700/2100), (12/13)/700, (2/25)/1900, so not even one common band/frequency!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

rediculous how a "standard" can be so non standard at this day in age...

and yeah there are 4 networks already paid for the rights to 4g here there a good while back. like around christmas.
    i know someone whos working for sony on 5g. same again. nothing major in terms of speed etc. though lots of diff companies doing work and only one best new tech will be standardised of course.

as for actual irish implementation of 4g. i reckon a few are working on it now, since it actually doesnt involve much if any equipment upgrades as far as i know.
    they just have to mod the towers.
    just for your information also 4g isnt a huge step up. i get nice speeds on hspada. the main purpose in 4g is when there are lots of users online at the same time there wont be a huge dip in speeds.
    depends on your network provider also. iv no idea which ones have plans to implement it. but i cant see it being priority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Big thing with LTE is it is IP only. Nothing before it has been IP only.

Advertisement