Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - TV Mounting Height

Options
  • 28-06-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm building a new house and have the electricians in at the moment on first fix. Although there's a bit of wriggle room with positioning the tv electrical, aerial, etc. sockets I'd like to position them at a sensible height. Here's the rooms and details:

Sitting Room
    Seating will be about 4 meters back from the tv. From most websites I've browsed seated eye level (42 inches) is about right (for centre of tv). With a bit of 'couch slouch' and recliner angle then maybe a bit higher would be better? This will probably look very low but comfort comes first!

Bedrooms
    I would think you would need a greater height for tvs in bedrooms?

Thanks, Barney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

My best suggestion would be to get a broad sheet newspaper and tape it to the sizes your going to use and see what works.

The bedrooms would be ideal for what I usually recomend : "head hight" ie no greater than your head when mounted and the use of a tilting bracket would be a must install.
    That is probably a try and see for the sitting room even with a tilting bracket.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks, for the bedroom I assume you mean head height when standing (as opposed to when lying in bed)?

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Thanks, for the bedroom I assume you mean head height when standing (as opposed to when lying in bed)?

Sorry!
    Yes when standing, should have clarified. Also make sure you can easily access any cable behind the TV's. Nothing worse than having a broken cable that's plastered into the wall!

>Sol

akaSol wrote: »
    Sorry!
    Yes when standing, should have clarified. Also make sure you can easily access any cable behind the TV's. Nothing worse than having a broken cable that's plastered into the wall!

>Sol

The plan is to plaster them all in so there's no cables showing between the tv and where the devices, e.g. DVD player will sit. I'll still have access to the back of the telly though as it will sit out from the wall a bit.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    The plan is to plaster them all in so there's no cables showing between the tv and where the devices, e.g. DVD player will sit. I'll still have access to the back of the telly though as it will sit out from the wall a bit.

Seriously looking for a world of hurt if you do.
    Put them inside conduite then plaster over or you will be sorry - take this from allot of experience.
    Have you thought about what devices you will be wiring - XBoxes/Sky HD etc don't use scart ( actually allot of the new tv's don't have any ), are you looking at a surround sound or "sound bar" in the front room.
    Its the ideal time to think of esp as your in first fix

>Sol

• Advertisement

akaSol wrote: »
    Seriously looking for a world of hurt if you do.
    Put them inside conduite then plaster over or you will be sorry - take this from allot of experience.
    Have you thought about what devices you will be wiring - XBoxes/Sky HD etc don't use scart ( actually allot of the new tv's don't have any ), are you looking at a surround sound or "sound bar" in the front room.
    Its the ideal time to think of esp as your in first fix

>Sol

Sorry, yes a conduit will be used. I'm using big conduits in the sitting rooms si I'll be able to feed wires up/down from the TV to devices and also back to the utility room where all house wires meet. Hope I get time to watch the telly some day! :p

Back on heights, in the living room it's not so easy. The finished floors are not in and we have to imagine sitting on a sofa. Most online sites recommend eye level but this rises as the room gets bigger. Perhaps 60 inches to the centre of the tv for large rooms would be fine? There's a good bit of wriggle room anyway.

Advertisement