Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ROM for HTC Desire other than Cyanogenmod?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 3:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

I just got a Desire and cyanogenmod is giving me a lot of problems. The biggest pain in the arse is when I tap the power button to wake the phone up - it just freezes with a black screen. Only option is to take the battery out and reboot.

Wifi intermittently cuts out too.

Apparently Cyanogenmod 7 is the best ROM ever for the Desire, but it seems to have raped my one.

So what's the 2nd best ROM for the Desire? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

the original HTC desire?
    I'm running this Jelly Bean - 3.1.0p1 Pre-Alpha 1 [18.10.12], and its fantastic

From here http://nikez.nu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Are you using CM7.2 stable? If so then perhaps you had a borked downloaded ROM, did you check the MD5 before flashing?
    Failing that you may not have fully wiped before installing.

Either way your symptoms don't sound like the results you should see from CM stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

MildWild. It's the bees knees.

(not the oxygen one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Using euroskank. But it's based on cm7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Ninjer

biebiebie wrote: »
    Are you using CM7.2 stable? If so then perhaps you had a borked downloaded ROM, did you check the MD5 before flashing?
    Failing that you may not have fully wiped before installing.

Either way your symptoms don't sound like the results you should see from CM stable.

I checked the MD5 and it was fine. Fully wiped too.

I'm on Mildwild now anyway... seems to be ok.

By the way why the hell isn't gtalk on Google Play? So unbelievably retarded.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    MildWild. It's the bees knees.

(not the oxygen one)

I downloaded this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1353861

I can't find the non oxygen one... have you got a link there?

• Advertisement

Thanks. And why do you want me to use that one instead of the oxygen one?

Well I've only used that one so can't recommend the Oxygen one.
    But I think theres also something to do with the hboot. The Oxygen uses a different one than Cyanogenmod so its not as interchangeable or something.

MiCr0, I just installed that Jelly Bean one to test. How do you enable App2SD on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

But I think theres also something to do with the hboot. The Oxygen uses a different one than Cyanogenmod so its not as interchangeable or something.

MiCr0, I just installed that Jelly Bean one to test. How do you enable App2SD on it?

In order to enable a2sd, the ROM must support it firstly, then install the rom, let it boot to your pin number screen, power down, then go back to recovery, then install the data2sd script, reboot and you should have no issue (assuming you have an ext3 or ext4 partition on your SD card.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

details in the FAQ
    http://nikez.nu/faq/

How do I activate stock a2sd in terminal ?

A: Yes, both ICS and JB have the stock a2sd script included with the ROM. After installation it needs activation. Here is how:

1. Make sure you have created a sd-ext partition on your SD-card. WARNING this will format your SD card:

boot the device into Recovery,
    go to Advanced and Partition SD card,
    depending on your SD card size, speed and the amount of apps your are planning to install choose 512 MB or more and leave swap at 0 MB.
    2. After installing the ROM, open up terminal in the app drawer and type

su
    a2sd install
    (Y)es to moving Dalvik cache to sd-ext
    (N)o to moving app-data to sd-ext
    (Y) to reboot
    We feel the above setup has the best performance, your applications will go to sd-ext together with dalvik cache but the app-data stays on the internal memory.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, I have it working now.
    Nice little ROM. Still not as snappy as MildWild, but not by much, considering all the extra features!
    The camera was a bit wonky, until I installed GO Launcher, and now its working. It hasnt crashed yet at all, but I'd imagine there's a few bugs I havent touched upon yet, and I think I saw on the site that the GPU doesnt work properly?

Anyway, for ROM recommendations, I'd go with MildWild for a fast stable ROM, and this one if u want the latest version and don't mind the odd glitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

MIUI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Using Sandvoid's ICS rom atm. I tried the Jellybean one Micro linked but its a tad to unstable for daily use for me.

Its sucks there is no official ICS roms as the Desire is not only able to handle them but seems to run even faster than when on Gingerbread :eek:

Just having a look at Sanvoid. Is there no torch function?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ninjer wrote: »
    Just having a look at Sanvoid. Is there no torch function?

No but you can download one from the play store.

Thanks ... and how do I turn off haptic feedback? I can't find the option ANYWHERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Been running MIUI for the last 8 months. Its driving me nuts at the moment.

Anyone have any other recommendations ? Anything stable/dependable works for me.

I find that MIUI has a tendancy to crash and lock itself for a few minutes. Sometimes crashes totally forcing me to remove the battery etc. Usually happens when I really need to use my phone aswell.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Korvanica wrote: »
    Been running MIUI for the last 8 months. Its driving me nuts at the moment.

Anyone have any other recommendations ? Anything stable/dependable works for me.

I find that MIUI has a tendancy to crash and lock itself for a few minutes. Sometimes crashes totally forcing me to remove the battery etc. Usually happens when I really need to use my phone aswell.. !

I'm using Android Revolution on my One X. Not suer how it would work on a Desire though! I find it very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've been using CM7 as well for months, but I too notice my screen goes black every so often.. But it comes back after pressing the power again twice.

Considering installing RevolutioN as it claims to be completely stable and "unlimited" memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Am using CM10 on my desire, with no problems....well the only thing is it doesn't vibrate when i get a text/notification even on vibrate mode. But other than that it's awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

truedoom wrote: »
    Am using CM10 on my desire, with no problems....well the only thing is it doesn't vibrate when i get a text/notification even on vibrate mode. But other than that it's awesome :)

I'm guessing this is a custom version from XDA and not from Cyanogen themselves?

Also, way to resurrect an old thread..

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is a custom version from XDA and not from Cyanogen themselves?

Also, way to resurrect an old thread..

Indeed it is.

It looked interesting so i thought i'd chip in my two cents :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭mada999

i'm running Jellytime, not sure if it is Cyanogenmod.... seems to be ok

I'm running this Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM on my HTC Desire. Its pretty good:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2070704

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I'm running this Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM on my HTC Desire. Its pretty good:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2070704

im running the above for the last 2 weeks, its decent. i cant get flash to install on the device now though...

copeyhagen wrote: »
    im running the above for the last 2 weeks, its decent. i cant get flash to install on the device now though...

Adobe flash? Not supported on phones anymore, Seeing as most sites are migrating to HTML5. Get a browser with good HTML5 support (Dolphin Browser is one)

Sorry if I've missed the point entirely :D

Ye you'll just need to get the seperate APK file and install it manually.
    It won't let u install from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You need flash if you're gonna be watching Fair City on RTEPlayer on the sh1tter. Here's how to get it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You need flash if you're gonna be watching Fair City on RTEPlayer on the sh1tter. Here's how to get it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

LOL'd Hard :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lol, yeh got it sorted.

yt videos wouldnt play on the site, but now with the app installed works perfectly.

now, off to the sh1tter to watch fair ****ty

Advertisement