Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, advice regarding purchasing a laptop

Options
  • 21-11-2012 1:40pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice and maybe someone to point me in the right direction, Im after a laptop for my 12 year old for Christams and I have a budget of around €400 to spend on it. Ive been to PC world, and Harvey Norman but they all seem to be pushing me towards the €500 range.

All he'll be doing with it is mainly surfing the net and using Itunes for transferring his music, and obviously when he starts secondary school next year, maybe some projects on it.

I came across this one on the argos site, it looks ok price wise compard to what I have seen up to now, it also comes complete with a

Bag
    Mouse
    Mcafee Internet Security
    Mcafee Family Protection
    and a set of Speakers

Its on page 649 in the current catalogue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice and maybe someone to point me in the right direction, Im after a laptop for my 12 year old for Christams and I have a budget of around €400 to spend on it. Ive been to PC world, and Harvey Norman but they all seem to be pushing me towards the €500 range.

All he'll be doing with it is mainly surfing the net and using Itunes for transferring his music, and obviously when he starts secondary school next year, maybe some projects on it.

I came across this one on the argos site, it looks ok price wise compard to what I have seen up to now, it also comes complete with a

Bag
    Mouse
    Mcafee Internet Security
    Mcafee Family Protection
    and a set of Speakers

Thanks.

just be aware of one thing with Toshiba...... they have terrible driver support once they deem the laptop no longer in production... so if u do buy this burn a copy of ALL the drivers onto a DVD for future use.

STAY AWAY from Acer laptops they are rubbish.... the screen's cables go on them after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Aquos76 wrote: »

Bag
    Mouse
    Mcafee Internet Security
    Mcafee Family Protection
    and a set of Speakers

Thanks.
    I would suggest getting a laptop with a Core i3 because the difference seen in performance and battery will be completely worth it.

Owned the previous version of this models below and loved it, really well made and asthetically pleasing. Also comes with Windows 8 and a 5 hour battery (€473.55).

UPDATE: The older Acer models have display cabling issues, not the current generation.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME8653H02

Just buy a bag and speakers seperately, they are really cheap already.

PS: I currently work for an AV company, please don't buy a separate McAfee / Norton etc. bundle - I will issue you a free copy for Christmas ;) PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

advertsfox wrote: »
    I would suggest getting a laptop with a Core i3 because the difference seen in performance and battery will be completely worth it.

Owned the previous version of this models below and loved it, really well made and asthetically pleasing. Also comes with Windows 8 and a 5 hour battery (€473.55).

UPDATE: The older Acer models have display cabling issues, not the current generation.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME8653H02

Just buy a bag and speakers seperately, they are really cheap already

PS: I work for an AV company, please don't buy a separate bundle - I will issue you a free copy for Christmas ;) PM me.

avoid this...it's an Acer.... the screen will go faulty within a year

Also no need to buy AV software

Avast, Avg, or Microsoft security essentials are all free and do just a good a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

avoid this...it's an Acer.... the screen will go faulty within a year

Also no need to buy AV software

Avast, Avg, or Microsoft security essentials are all free and do just a good a job
    As I've said in my previous post, the older Acer models have display cabling issues, not the current generation which are much more reliable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I got a nice new Samsung in PC world in Waterford for 530.

It has an amd quad core, 1tb harddrive, radeon 7640g graphics card and 6 gig ram very good price for the money and there is still some there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

There is a big gulf between 350-400 euro laptops and 500 euro laptops performance wise, you can get twice the performance over some of the more horrible machines the likes of PC world sell.

Maybe something like this would be a good buy It has relatively decent graphics, I imagine any 12 year old worth his salt is going to try a couple of games on his laptop.

Actually this might be a better buy, an I3 + 410m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

imitation wrote: »
    There is a big gulf between 350-400 euro laptops and 500 euro laptops performance wise, you can get twice the performance over some of the more horrible machines the likes of PC world sell.

Maybe something like this would be a good buy It has relatively decent graphics, I imagine any 12 year old worth his salt is going to try a couple of games on his laptop.

How would either of your above two choices be for a fourteen year old who will want to do some gaming, and do Save on Laptops ship to Ireland?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

How would either of your above two choices be for a fourteen year old who will want to do some gaming, and do Save on Laptops ship to Ireland?

Both are good for that purpose. Look other things to decide.. do you need what expansion ports, battery life etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

They ship to Ireland http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/shipment-help

Depends on the gaming - low spec online games like WoW, League etc would be fine. The latest COD games would be a bit sluggish, but playable on low settings.

If it was a serious gamer I would be suggesting either trying for a desktop machine which will give alot more gaming bang for buck, or spending approx 700-800 euros and getting a machine with an I5 and a geforce 640-650m. I brought this recently, fantastic laptop for the money and can play new games on high/medium

• Advertisement

freestyla wrote: »
    Both are good for that purpose. Look other things to decide.. do you need what expansion ports, battery life etc..?

This is for a young lad with a little interest in gaming but other than that it's main purpose would be general use so ports are not a major concern I guess.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try to get one that allows easy access to the fan, so you can de-fluff it without having to totally strip it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

imitation wrote: »
    This is for a young lad with a little interest in gaming but other than that it's main purpose would be general use so ports are not a major concern I guess.

Yeah MSI CX640MX is very good for £400

freestyla wrote: »
    Yeah MSI CX640MX is very good for £400

Out of stock at Lappy Direct though:mad:

Advertisement