Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with fridge

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I am having a problem with my fridge when I travel.
    Last week I drove down to Kinsale from Dublin. When I got there my leisure battery was full, I stayed in Kinsale for the week when I left to come home my battery still had two bars on it. We really only used the lights for the week.
    Because of this problem on the way down I turned the fridge off (I put some ice blocks in).
    On the way back I turned the fridge on to battery.
    When I got home my battery was as flat as a pancake. This happens every time I put the fridge on battery when I travel. Anyone know whats happening Any advice?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Last week I drove down to Kinsale from Dublin. When I got there my leisure battery was full, I stayed in Kinsale for the week when I left to come home my battery still had two bars on it. We really only used the lights for the week.
    Because of this problem on the way down I turned the fridge off (I put some ice blocks in).
    When I got home my battery was as flat as a pancake. This happens every time I put the fridge on battery when I travel. Anyone know whats happening Any advice?.

:confused::confused:
    When a fridge is on 12volt (battery) is should only take a supply from the starter battery after the engine starts, it should not effect the habitation battery if the wiring is correct.
    Also your habitation battery should be getting charged when the engine is running, it should definitely not be loosing charge.

Something is definitely wrong with the wiring. Start with checking that the supply from the engine battery does not have a break or a blown fuse, the fridge can 'back-feed' from the leisure battery in such circumstances after the engine has started and the split relay has operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

niloc1951 wrote: »

:confused::confused:
    When a fridge is on 12volt (battery) is should only take a supply from the starter battery after the engine starts, it should not effect the habitation battery if the wiring is correct.
    Also your habitation battery should be getting charged when the engine is running, it should definitely not be loosing charge.

Something is definitely wrong with the wiring. Start with checking that the supply from the engine battery does not have a break or a blown fuse, the fridge can 'back-feed' from the leisure battery in such circumstances after the engine has started and the split relay has operated.

Also check the fuse holders taking power to the leisure battery. And the earths .

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Thanks guys. I will have a look at it over the weekend with my limited knowledge of electrics.

Advertisement