Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ignition key security lock on Ducato problem

Options
  • 07-08-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

We have a Fiat Ducato 06 Chausson which we bought second hand. There is some sort of security system with the ignition key - a padlock icon lights orange on the dash display when you turn the key and we think you are supposed to wait a second or two for the light to go out before you should try to start the engine. Only problem is that sometimes the light does not go out. You could try 20 times before it does go out and you can start. We don't know if it is a fault or are we just stupid? Can anybody help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Colette X wrote: »
    We have a Fiat Ducato 06 Chausson which we bought second hand. There is some sort of security system with the ignition key - a padlock icon lights orange on the dash display when you turn the key and we think you are supposed to wait a second or two for the light to go out before you should try to start the engine. Only problem is that sometimes the light does not go out. You could try 20 times before it does go out and you can start. We don't know if it is a fault or are we just stupid? Can anybody help?
    It's a fault alright , sounds like your factory fit immobiliser is acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Colette X

Thanks for that Aidan. Any idea where we should go to get it checked out? An ordinary mechanic or would we have to go to a Fiat garage? We are in Clare.

Colette X wrote: »
    Thanks for that Aidan. Any idea where we should go to get it checked out? An ordinary mechanic or would we have to go to a Fiat garage? We are in Clare.
    First stop is someone with diagnostics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I have the exact same problem with my 96 Ducato. I find that swapping the keys solves the problem. I think I would rather live with the minor hassle than shell out a few 100 to have it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Do you have two van keys, other car keys or a load of junk on your keyring? Try the key on its own.

If its still intermittant the antenna on the ignition is a lightly suspect.

As Aidan_M_M says diagnostics will tell you.

If its the 02-06 model you may just need to put some contact cleaner on the connectors on the immobiliser unit under the steering column. If the antenna is dodgy its only about 30 euro new. If the dealer give you a ludicrous quote you can buy a complete set of keys, ignition, antenna, immobiliser, ecu on ebay for about 150 euro. Rather than swap the ignition you just swap the blade from your old key plug in the antenna, ecu and immobiliser and you should be ready to roll.

• Advertisement

I have the exact same problem with my 96 Ducato. I find that swapping the keys solves the problem. I think I would rather live with the minor hassle than shell out a few 100 to have it fixed.
    Same idea , different problem. Your immobiliser is a unit bolted to the injector pump , the newer one is not , it's in the electronics of the van.

Advertisement