Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Management Client: CLI vs GUI

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

So I've started using PostrgreSQL (on a Linux box) recently where the majority of my db experience has been SQL Server (on a Windows box). I'm not using a GUI management client such as pgadmin as of yet; I've been using a CLI management client for the small work I've done so far. Previously with SQL Server I would do everything through SQL Server Management Studio.

So do people think sticking with a CLI is a good idea for database management?

The reason I'm asking as opposed to just doing whatever seems easiest, which would be using the GUI, is that with previous tools such as version control I've found my understanding of the software (and underlying concepts) increased dramatically after moving from a GUI to a CLI. On the other hand I haven't really come across anyone who manages databases entirely through the CLI. Then again my experience with DBAs is pretty limited – mostly I just see other devs beating the db with sticks until it does what they want. Such is the joy of the startup world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

In my early days with Oracle we only had a CLI for DBA work, SQLPlus & SQLDBA. You probably do get to understand better how the database software works but for day to day work you will do a much better job with a GUI. With a CLI you will spend so much time writing scripts that you won't be looking at how to manage the database properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've found that whilst I'm learning something new I always prefer CLI tools, to get a deep understanding of what's happening; Then progressing to the GUI when I just want to get things done quicker or have flows that are just better in GUI's (e.g. diff tools etc).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mixture of both. For instance use the CLI for noddy scripts to test out the concepts but use GUI to handle the automation of common tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Generally I'd never use the GUI for a production database, other than just for executing scripts. Other people would generally have taken care of backup procedures I'd just be going data and schema changes. I'd usually use the GUI in my development environment and then produce a script for making changes on the production database. But the majority of work I do with a database is schema design, working on the data access layer, and managing development databases.

I think I'll stick with the CLI and once it gets to the point I'm no longer on a learning curve or it's too gammy I'll probably switch over to pgadmin.
    I've found that whilst I'm learning something new I always prefer CLI tools, to get a deep understanding of what's happening; Then progressing to the GUI when I just want to get things done quicker or have flows that are just better in GUI's (e.g. diff tools etc).
    My usual approach as well but due to the complexity and variety of work when using database systems I was wondering what the general approach was regarding CLI management.
    Manach wrote:
    Mixture of both. For instance use the CLI for noddy scripts to test out the concepts but use GUI to handle the automation of common tasks.
    I have to ask; what's do you mean by noddy script?

Advertisement