Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Looking forward to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

johnny-depp-whitey-bulger-embed.jpg

Count Bulger Depp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what happened to his eyebrows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm predicting an Oscar nomination and possibly a win for Depp for this. I didn't recognise him at all until half way through the trailer.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Even in the trailer the prosthetic forehead bugged me. Depp cant seem to act without hiding behind a makeup mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Grew tired of Depp ages ago. On the evidence of the trailer his acting is rather cartoonish and a bit awkward to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was a time many years ago I really looked forward to a Johnny Depp film coming out.

Now not so much.

Jack Nicholson's Whitey Bulger..Frank Costello in The Departed will be hard to top in any film version of Bulger's life story I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

This is probably the first time in a long time that a Johnny Depp trailer hasn't annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

New trailer:

Is that really the USA? Could just as easily be North Dublin. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Looks very promising

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I watched this tonight and thought it was very good,nice to see Johnny Depp playing a real person again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It did a good job in portraying Bulger as just another vanilla psycho. He only got lucky in his connection with the FBI. Depp does a good job of making a boring man interesting for as long as possible. The fact is Whitey Bulger is what happens when clerical errors, over-promoted mandarins and psychopaths get together.
    It isn't The Departed or Goodfellas for the simple reason that it sticks close enough to the facts that it may occasion a yawn. But it happened. And as for Benedict Cumberbatch and whatever movie he was in when he strayed on the set of this - I wish him well.

Well made and worth a watch (the hard coded Korean subtitles might be unique to the cinema I viewed it in).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

After having a little read about it, I'd probably rather re-watch The Departed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Quite boring. Most scenes are 25% too long..
    Rte2 midweek movie material

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I walked out of the Korean cinema I viewed it in after 20 minutes. Might give it another shot some time in Ireland but on first viewing this was very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I walked out of the Korean cinema I viewed it in after 20 minutes. Might give it another shot some time in Ireland but on first viewing this was very boring.

Walking out of your own house is a bit drastic. Hope you remembered to bring a coat.

• Advertisement

Chilling performance from Depp. Really enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I thought Black Mass was supposed to be released into the cinema this Friday, it has an irish release date of the 13th of November but it isn't in any of the cinemas in Cork, anyone know when its coming in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Just watched it tonight and found it really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭moby2101

Not a patch on the departed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

moby2101 wrote: »
    Not a patch on the departed

Which in turn wasnt a patch on Infernal Affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Very poor, generic is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just seen an ad for it, in cinemas November 25th, looking forward to seeing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Saw this last night - very generic and brought nothing new to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Thought Depp was pretty good, but agree with other criticisms that it was just a bit drab and mundane.

The makeup on Bulger was pretty distracting I found, he looked slightly vampiric at times and there was something off about his eyes - contacts too big or something? Took my attention away from what was going on too often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Depp was excellent but film was very poor.

It was all over the place and seemed to have no direction.

Sloppy.

Advertisement