Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lights at Baldoyle Industrial Estate

Options
  • 14-03-2006 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Has anyone had the pleasure of turning right into baldoyle industrial estate since the new lights were put up. Well its a joke had to q for 20 mins this morning to take a right turn into the estate which used to take a couple of minutes.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, noticed them switched on yesterday but I was driving out of Baldoyle. Is there a filter for turning right into the estate? If so, I'm sure the engineers will (hopefully) sort out a setting for the filter here.
    Also noticed coming home yesterday evening (from the Donaghmede side) as I approached the lights, one lane turns to 3. laft lane for left, middle for straight and right for right - bit obvious, you would think. However, out of ten cars, 6 of them were in the left lane even though they were going straight. Made a bit awkward trying to merge back into one lane. Hopefully people will get used to it. Although there are clear line markings, something like an overhead gantry say at the the top of the bridge should be erected to show a graphic of the lanes ahead. But this country seems to have a fear of overhead gantries except on the odd motorway.

If the right turn filter is not sorted soon, then the lane itself will have to be made longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pinks

Yes the filter light is working but takes ages to come on
    they prob would have been better off putting a roundabout there
    even getting out of the estate at lunch time takes ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've lost count of the number of new lights that have sprung up in Baldoyle in the last five years from the old Church in the village right up to Donghamede.

More lights...wonderful.

Yeah, and although it wasn't all that long ago that the traffic lights were erected around the village, the whole village atmosphere seems to have been lost as a result. Baldoyle no longer seems to be right beside the coutryside especially with the vast developments going on to the north and west.

highdef wrote:
    Yeah, and although it wasn't all that long ago that the traffic lights were erected around the village, the whole village atmosphere seems to have been lost as a result. Baldoyle no longer seems to be right beside the coutryside especially with the vast developments going on to the north and west.

True, and it would be criminal if they linked up Portmarnock and Sutton golf clubs and landfilled the bay as was rumoured.

I get nostalgic for the old Baldoyle, especially the ruins of the Racecourse and Grange Manor, but that's progress I guess!

• Advertisement

Well the estuary is safe as it is a protected area. I seriously doubt that will EVER happen. I have some video footage taken around the racecourse shortly before they started to destroy it. And also a few nice photos looking north and northeast from the top of Furnace's Bridge just days before the builders moved in and tore up the old Racecourse land and the land to the west of the Dublin -Belfast railway. Even now, it's amazing to see the photos and the change that has taken place in a mere two years or so. I have a good few photos and some video and and around the old Tom Walsh motorss area which kind of brings us back on topic as this is the area we were originally discussing.

Well done highdef. I'm kicking myself for not doing the same.

Amazing to think that little bridge used to be two-lanes plus pedestrians. I remember almost being creamed by a truck when I was a kid and cycling over it.

I've both Michael Hurley books (the first was more of a booklet) plus his DVD on the history of Baldoyle. I'm fascinated by Percy French's connection with the place too.

Well as I'm not too old, I only ever remember the old bridge having the one-way traffic lights on them. But from what I remember, there was a disctinct lack of stopping at the red lights. I remember many a time where a large slow truck which had gone through the red lights would be met by on-coming traffic at the brow of the bridge as their lights had turned green. Always got messy at this point and there was no room to pass. Great to watch as a kid though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

pinks wrote:
    Has anyone had the pleasure of turning right into baldoyle industrial estate since the new lights were put up. Well its a joke had to q for 20 mins this morning to take a right turn into the estate which used to take a couple of minutes.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    The funny and frustrating thing is: the traffic was always fine BEFORE those stupid lights were put up!

Same with the traffic lights put up a few years ago at the Malahide Road/Clare Hall crossroads - the big roundabout always worked fine! Now there's 30 min queues at rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The OP wrote:
    The funny and frustrating thing is: the traffic was always fine BEFORE those stupid lights were put up!

Same with the traffic lights put up a few years ago at the Malahide Road/Clare Hall crossroads - the big roundabout always worked fine! Now there's 30 min queues at rush hour!
    Eh, because there is more traffic!

Traffic lights process peak traffic quicker than roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I am just thinking now that lights like these actually increase the value of houses closer to the city centre.
    The new lights at broombridge (cabra/finglas) are slowing things down aswell.

Just wait until the baldoyle /cabra developments are finished and opened up.
    Then there'll be trouble .

Advertisement