Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Button system to call taxis

• 20-12-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi all,
    In the town I live in, there is a proposal to put a new taxi rank outside my house. I am objecting, with neighbours, but we have been advised to come up with alternative suggestions which will be taken more seriously than a NIMBY approach. The most ideal solution I can come up with is to have a few calling spots around the town for taxis, and have the rank located away from businesses and residents. My idea would be that you would press a button on the wall of the local supermarket / garda station / main pub / train station, and you either just wait for a taxi to come, or you get a radio link to a taxi. There are more than one taxi companies working in the town, so that may complicate things a bit. Does anyone know if such a system exists anywhere in Ireland? Or on the technical side of things, would anyone have much of an idea regarding the cost of such a system, or complications of installing it?
    Any input is most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

www.hailocab.com

Maybe get in touch with these and see if they can operate in your town.

I have used them in Dublin and find it an excellent system and have heard nothing but good from taxi drivers also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think your suggestion is pretty good and I've seen free phones at shopping centers, etc. around the world that directly connect you to a taxi company and they seem to work well.

Really I think the whole idea of filling our city and town centers with parked up taxis is a really bad idea and an eye sore.

In the long term I think apps like Hailo will make even this unnecessary and will totally do away with the need of taxi ranks, with the benefit of the extra security it brings (you have a record of who the driver is, the customer is and the journey), plus the bonus of easily retrieving lost goods.

Ideally taxi ranks should be on the outskirts of our towns or in industrial locations in our cities (e.g. docklands in Dublin), instead of blocking up our roads and homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bk wrote: »
    Ideally taxi ranks should be on the outskirts of our towns or in industrial locations in our cities (e.g. docklands in Dublin), instead of blocking up our roads and homes.

A long way from where the people who want to catch taxis are? Clever.

OP, I've got this really cool push-button thing in my pocket, that I can use to summon a taxi, or talk to my friends. Last time I looked, most other people (including most grannies, btw) had one too. So really, I think your idea is about 30 years too late.

Can you explain to us why you don't want a taxi-rank near?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A long way from where the people who want to catch taxis are? Clever.

Well just outside a town would only be still very close, maybe just two or three minutes away.

Similar with industrial locations around Dublin city, it can even be just some less used side streets away from the main streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Many thanks for all responses.

Mrs OBumble, the main reason I don't want a taxi rank near my house is because parking is at a premium. There would be 4 spaces permanently taken by taxis, plus whatever overflow (up to 16 taxis work my town at night). There's also the risk of anti-social behaviour. The current rank is being closed down (as it is totally unsuitable), but there have been reports of anti-social behaviour and loud music from taxis there.

But I am on my town council, and I want to recommend an approach that will work well for everyone. The current situation is that many, many people still walk to taxi ranks to hail a taxi, instead of phoning. In particular, most old people folks in the town walk to the rank.

Apps like Hailo are worth considering, but I do think that it's not a solution for the majority of our elderly, and my town has quite a large number of old people.

Anyway, to get back to the point of my post: the taxi drivers, town council, residents, and county council, are all in principal in favour of moving the taxi rank away from the homes and businesses if a physical call system could be implemented. I am looking to investigate the feasibility of such a system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are there only 16 taxis, but several taxi companies?

As regards your suggestion of having some sort of call system, that tends to depend on having a dispatcher available, which may be difficult if there are only a small number of taxis - the dispatcher's wages need to come from somewhere. Setting up Hailo or similar would have upfront costs and not everyone has or can use a smart phone.

One solution would be to pick X number of locations in the town, put a basic phone on the wall and have each taxi company given a specific number, e.g. dial '4' for Acme Taxis. The phone wouldn't work for any other purpose. It is better than a button-only system that might suffer abuse or confusion. Similar systems work in supermarkets and some other locations, but they tend to be tied to one company, which would be unhealthy if it was a town-wide system.

Of course, someone has to bear the cost of such a system.
    pinkbear wrote: »
    The most ideal solution I can come up with is to have a few calling spots around the town for taxis, and have the rank located away from businesses and residents.
    I have made a fair few submissions on taxi and other council bye-laws, e.g. I helped push for daytime loading bays to be used as evening / night-time taxi ranks and for extra ranks space to reduce on-street circulation by taxis.

I think your approach and perhaps everyone's expectations, are unrealistic. All to often, as evidenced on these boards, everyone wants the maximum convenience for themselves (I speak of the townsfolk), with no consideration of the common good. Have a read of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_good

Now, it is possible, if there is a taxi rank on a residential street, that there may be some nuisance at night. Realistically, the same nuisance shouldn't apply in a commercial area. There may of course, be an overlap.

In, I think it was Portarlington, one of the residents told me that there were complaints by shopkeepers of a lack of available parking on the shopping streets. The problem being, of course, that all the shop staff drove to work and occupied all the parking, leaving none for shoppers. :(

I would suggest that it is an imperative that businesses facilitate taxis, as it is they that create the greatest number of trips that require taxis. A parking space that will facilitate one trip pair (to and from work) per day for an office worker, would facilitate 3-8 comparison shoppers / business visitors or 32 convenience shoppers or a similar number of taxi trips.

I would suggest that each of the supermarkets and pubs would have two or more spaces in front of them to as taxi ranks, not necessarily that the only rank in town would be in the one place. Potentially, they can also be used as a loading bay for specific hours - pub deliveries tend to be in the morning when taxis won't be picking up passengers anyway.

You don't say which town you are in, but some people might get a bus or a lift when they are going shopping (carrying only a wallet) and get a taxi home (with their shopping).

I think the idea of using daytime loading bays as evening / night-time ranks is good. This is something I will look into.

I am openly admitting I have a vested interest in this, I don't want it outside my door, but I also believe it's not the best place for it so I'm looking to put forward a more agreeable suggestion (while acknowledging that someone else will be unhappy with it).

The whole town centre is mixed residential and business. Where I live there are about 7 houses in a row, with businesses at either end, and businesses opposite. But we are not the most central location in the town. There is pay parking during the day, so there is not a problem caused by shop / office workers hogging the parking spots.

I think the 2nd best suggestion (if the calling system is not feasible) is to have a number of smaller ranks, maybe 2 slots each, split between the areas.

If you have a call out system, do you risk people being charge the €2 call out charge all the time?

Victor wrote: »
    If you have a call out system, do you risk people being charge the €2 call out charge all the time?

Good point. Hailo doesn't allow drivers who use Hailo, to charge the call out charge, because in fairness for most Hailo jobs you are rarely more then 3 minutes away.

Perhaps it could be in the contract with whoever provides the call system that there would be no call out charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Many thanks for all responses.

Mrs OBumble, the main reason I don't want a taxi rank near my house is because parking is at a premium. There would be 4 spaces permanently taken by taxis, plus whatever overflow (up to 16 taxis work my town at night). There's also the risk of anti-social behaviour. The current rank is being closed down (as it is totally unsuitable), but there have been reports of anti-social behaviour and loud music from taxis there.

But I am on my town council, and I want to recommend an approach that will work well for everyone. The current situation is that many, many people still walk to taxi ranks to hail a taxi, instead of phoning. In particular, most old people folks in the town walk to the rank.

So you're a councillor and yet you are a NIMBY,beggars belief (or not)
    If the taxi rank is being moved because as you say it is unsuitable(why is it by the way?),then it is up to every councillor which includes YOU to get a new rank in suitable area,near shops,bars ,clubs ect If that means taking up some "parking spaces" so be it .
    Drivers throughout the country are being pushed from pillar to post with no where to ply for hire ,which they are entiltled to .
    A rank should and must be in a given area that is reasonably populated and accessible .Having a rank outside town or in an industrial area is quite simply ridiculous and pointless.

and my town has quite a large number of old people.
    All the more reason why a rank should be in place.
    Anyway, to get back to the point of my post: the taxi drivers, town council, residents, and county council, are all in principal in favour of moving the taxi rank away from the homes and businesses if a physical call system could be implemented. I am looking to investigate the feasibility of such a system.

So "your " system only favour taxi companys ?
    Going with the idea of useing a loading bay at night time is one that is used here in Dublin ,HOWEVER,what about day drivers ,they must have a place to ply for hire as well .Not every taxi driver works nights .
    You mentioned there was an "overflow " of 16 taxis at night .So where exactly are these cars expected to ply for hire?
    It is illegal for any taxi to ply for hire other than at a designated taxi rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

bk wrote: »
    Well just outside a town would only be still very close, maybe just two or three minutes away.

Similar with industrial locations around Dublin city, it can even be just some less used side streets away from the main streets.

Well why not go the whole hog and have bus stops just outside the town or train stations away from everywhere.
    The whole idea of a rank is so it can be accessible to everyone .
    If a rank was in an industrial estate ,no doubt you are your fellow taxi bashers would be on here complaining you couldnt get a taxi .

Ha ha, I'm chuckling to myself here!!! I'm not a county councillor!! I'm a local school teacher, on my town council, i.e. a group of hard working VOLUNTEERS that does our best for the town. Sorry if that wasn't clear. My group has been ASKED by the county council (i.e. the PAID guys, with the power) to propose an alternative rank (or ranks). I have talked to gardai, taxi drivers, chamber of commerce and old folks groups, as well as residents. So while I am being a bit NIMBY (while wearing my residents cap) I genuinely want the best for our town.

We have found a solution that ALL groups are in favour of if we can get it working. It should not be linked to one taxi company above another. The call system is what I asked advice on, nothing more, so facetious comments about moving bus stops and train stations aren't too helpful to me.

To those who brought up the point about the €2 charge, thank you. That is helpful to note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There are a couple of ranks in Dublin which have phones installed for locals to call taxis to their doors. As calls into them are virtually untraceable the rates of fake request for taxis from them are quite high plus there is no obligation on a drive to take a call from them. A buzzer system would be no different plus it would require a driver to physically stand at it in order to listen out for calls; not nice on a cold or wet day. Also, who will pay for this system? It will need some hardware, installation, phone connections, etc and maintaining it. You may suggest that local drivers chip in but any driver in the county is entitled to use the ranks plus it defeats the purpose of having a taxi plate over a hackney plate.

You should bear in mind that a taxi rank is an amenity for your town and it's something that makes life easier for locals and cabbies alike. While it may be a nuisance for you and others in some respects it's benefits are there for all to gain from and it makes things a little handier for the town as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well it depends where you live OP

If your house is in a residential estate I see your point about the taxi rank.

If you live on the main street with the pubs and shops you can't be NIMBY about a rank

Advertisement