Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cork - Dublin Express launched

Options
  • 27-05-2015 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

New 06.15hrs Cork to Dublin non-stop Express service begins Mon 25th May
    The new service will have a journey time of 2 hours 15 minutes, arriving in Dublin Heuston at 08.30hrs. Minor changes to some other services also.
    We are delighted to introduce a new non-stop express service daily (Monday to Friday):
    • 06.15hrs from Cork’s Kent Station to Dublin Heuston, with a journey time of 2 hours 15 minutes, arriving in Heuston Station at 08.30hrs.
    The new service operates from Monday 25th May onwards, and is being introduced following the approval of the National Transport Authority.
    The new express service is being introduced following customer research, with a particular demand identified for a faster morning service arriving in Dublin at 08.30hrs, to facilitate business meeting needs.
    This will be the only non-stop service of its type on our national network, and will enable customers to maximise the benefits of travelling with Iarnród Éireann – allowing productive use of time and offering free wifi, charge points for phones at every seat – while giving our best journey time.
    We intend for this to be the beginning of a series of continuing journey time improvements, including network upgrades to deliver further speed enhancements on all our services, to ensure the train is the most competitive option for customers
    As part of the introduction of the new 06.15hrs Cork to Dublin Express service, the following changes will also be implemented, following the approval of the National Transport Authority:
    • 06.00hrs Cork to Dublin Heuston (Mon-Sat) will now depart at 05.55hrs, and operate 5 to 10 minutes earlier throughout.
    • 04.55hrs Tralee to Mallow (Mon only) will now depart at 04.50hrs, and operate 5 to 8 minutes earlier throughout.
    • 05.15hrs Westport to Dublin Heuston will now depart at 05.25hrs, and operate 6 to 10 minutes later throughout.
    • 08.09hrs Newbridge to Dublin Heuston will now depart at 08.11hrs, and operate 2 minutes later throughout.
    • 06.55hrs Athlone to Dublin Heuston (Sat only) will now depart at 07.05hrs and operate between 6 and 10 minutes later throughout.
    The press launch occurred on Wednesday 27th May and 22010 is pictured passing Killenard with the new express service.
    Click the picture for full details.
    DSC_6846-S.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

That's nice, pity it's not mark 4 operated though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Thedarkb wrote: »
    agree. they really need to be forced to use the mark 4s on the cork line as they were bought for, and to grow the lines custom. using ICRS on this line is taking capacity from others. paying peter to pay paul. mind you thats how its been for the past 11 years so expect nothing to change i suppose

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anyone know patronage levels?

agree. they really need to be forced to use the mark 4s on the cork line as they were bought for, and to grow the lines custom. using ICRS on this line is taking capacity from others. paying peter to pay paul. mind you thats how its been for the past 11 years so expect nothing to change i suppose
    If they're advertising the sockets at every seat, as below, then it'll have to be ICR-operated.
    This will be the only non-stop service of its type on our national network, and will enable customers to maximise the benefits of travelling with Iarnród Éireann – allowing productive use of time and offering free wifi, charge points for phones at every seat – while giving our best journey time.

Karsini wrote: »
    If they're advertising the sockets at every seat, as below, then it'll have to be ICR-operated.
    yes, forgot. well, rob peter to pay paul it has to be then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

But that's what the ICRs were bought for too I don't see why they need to be forced to use a mark 4 it's a new service so demand at the moment might not require a longer train.

But that's what the ICRs were bought for too I don't see why they need to be forced to use a mark 4 it's a new service so demand at the moment might not require a longer train.
    no the ICRS were bought for the other lines with the mark 4 for cork. but whatever, no reason why this service which should have been introduced 30 years ago won't get the demand unless IE screw it up. i'l watch and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A Mark 4 would struggle to complete the journey in less than 2h10m like the 22's can. Combined with the fact a 3 coach is far better suited to demand.

I am far more concerned with the poor planning for this service and the disruption it has caused which I said would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    Anyone know patronage levels?

I believe there was about 50 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I am not a fan of ICR, I'm a loco hauled man, only then is it a train IMO. However I took a rare trip to Dublin last November, up in a MK4 and back ICR, I could'nt believe the difference in comfort. My preference now would be a ICR if I was to travel that way again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

roundymac wrote: »
    I am not a fan of ICR, I'm a loco hauled man, only then is it a train IMO. However I took a rare trip to Dublin last November, up in a MK4 and back ICR, I could'nt believe the difference in comfort. My preference now would be a ICR if I was to travel that way again.

my experience too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Thedarkb wrote: »
    Pity it's not Mark 3 operated. Hope that the taxpayer money spent on making Mark 4s more like Mark 3s when they could have kept the Mark 3s was worth it.

BTW, over in the USA, they tried nonstop trains between Washington D.C. and New York City (Pennsylvania Station) from time to time and all of them were a flop. This Dublin-Cork nonstop may be different, or may not be.

BTW, over in the USA, they tried nonstop trains between Washington D.C. and New York City (Pennsylvania Station) from time to time and all of them were a flop.

In comparison Irish Rail running speeds to Cork look amazing, the route in the US is 80mph for most of it with few spots passing 100.

MGWR wrote: »
    Pity it's not Mark 3 operated. Hope that the taxpayer money spent on making Mark 4s more like Mark 3s when they could have kept the Mark 3s was worth it.

the rebranding exercise wasn't worth it no . the public didn't buy it this time i'm afraid

my experience too
    mine as well. but when i hear of capacity being an issue on other lines yet ICRS used on the cork line dispite it having its own stock which was bought speciffically for it, i would hope one can understand why i and maybe some others might see their use on the cork line is ridiculous. but, i don't know why i bother giving a damn any more about the lot, there is just no point. IE will do whats convenient for IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

mine as well. but when i hear of capacity being an issue on other lines yet ICRS used on the cork line dispite it having its own stock which was bought speciffically for it, i would hope one can understand why i and maybe some others might see their use on the cork line is ridiculous. but, i don't know why i bother giving a damn any more about the lot, there is just no point. IE will do whats convenient for IE.

Mark fours were bought for general usage.

They ended up being concentrated on the Cork road.
    Anyone got a back of an envelope calculation for 3 PC ICR vs 201 plus seven ml fouurs

That's not true. AFAIK they are only passed for the Cork lne

Purchased for Cork services with Limerick/Galway peak service usage in mind I believe.

They were initially only passed for Dublin-Cork and Limerick but are passed for a lot more now. The internal route displays also show Galway and Tralee on the map.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Purchased for Cork services with Limerick/Galway peak service usage in mind I believe.

does it hurt with your tongue in your cheek like that or did you mean peak service on the Dublin to Limerick and Galway lines?

• Advertisement

eejoynt wrote: »
    Mark fours were bought for general usage.

They ended up being concentrated on the Cork road.
    Anyone got a back of an envelope calculation for 3 PC ICR vs 201 plus seven ml fouurs
    no, i believe they were originally bought for the hourly cork service, but later on IE decided to clear them for some other lines.

does it hurt with your tongue in your cheek like that or did you mean peak service on the Dublin to Limerick and Galway lines?

Mean peak services to Galway/Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They were ordered to eliminate the Mark 3 sets on Cork services. As some services work between Cork to Tralee they were expected to work the Kerry lines and some services to Galway as well. In practice neither happened as 22000's came on stream but they have operated the Cork-Mallow leg before and, I believe, the odd time on the Cobh line.

They were passed out to work to Limerick while the sets were being tested before they entered service. They have not operated to Limerick in service though they have operated many of the late night services to Port Laois and Newbridge in the pass, again before 22000's became plentiful and when 29000's were concentrated on Connolly links.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

They were initially only passed for Dublin-Cork and Limerick but are passed for a lot more now. The internal route displays also show Galway and Tralee on the map.

Internal route maps only for Cork and Limerick and they are still only passed for those lines, despite route clearance runs to Tralee and Dundalk they are not cleared for those lines.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    Internal route maps only for Cork and Limerick and they are still only passed for those lines, despite route clearance runs to Tralee and Dundalk they are not cleared for those lines.

GM228

I was on a Mark 4 yesterday (0900 Dublin-Cork behind 231 for those interested) and I definitely saw Galway on the map. Whether there are lights in that part or not, I don't know.

I was on a Mark 4 yesterday (0900 Dublin-Cork behind 231 for those interested) and I definitely saw Galway on the map. Whether there are lights in that part or not, I don't know.

The map have lights for all routes and Galway is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To clear this up for once and for all, the Mark 4 sets were originally ordered (when Joe Meagher was CEO) to replace the Mark 3 sets on the key business trains from Galway, Cork, Limerick and Tralee to Dublin, and for use on other Dublin/Cork trains.

Subsequently Dick Fearn joined Irish Rail as Chief Operating Officer under Joe Meagher, and he then came up with the concept of an hourly Dublin/Cork service using these sets, which is what they have been used for since they were delivered.

Now, despite what some people think, IE is not in some bubble that is unaffected by the recession, and due to the severe financial position that they found themselves in, they've had to put some of the Mark 4 sets into storage and replace them with ICRs. I'm sure that they are no happier about that than anyone else, but sometimes decisions such as that have to be made in order to stabilize a company's finances.

I'd expect that we will gradually see the rest of the Mark 4 sets come out of storage as things pick up (there are currently 5 sets in daily use plus a maintenance spare), but some trains on the route may well remain ICR operated if the loadings simply don't justify a full Mark 4 set. There has to be an element of operational flexibility between train types to match supply and demand.

"There has to be an element of operational flexibility between train types to match supply and demand"

not when much of the other routes lose out and irish rail can't and won't cater to supply and demand on the rest of the network as well as cork, and ICRS end up on maynooth and other suburban services there doesn't. the mark 4s were for the hourly cork service. if some trains aren't filling a mark 4 set, then either management find a way to grow the business or get out and employ management who will grow the business. the line has a hell of a lot of potential for custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

"There has to be an element of operational flexibility between train types to match supply and demand"

not when much of the other routes lose out and irish rail can't and won't cater to supply and demand on the rest of the network as well as cork, and ICRS end up on maynooth and other suburban services there doesn't. the mark 4s were for the hourly cork service. if some trains aren't filling a mark 4 set, then either management find a way to grow the business or get out and employ management who will grow the business. the line has a hell of a lot of potential for custom

• Advertisement

with Mk4s in store and 29000 in use on long distance services, it's hardly ideal

Advertisement