Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

ASOT wrote: »
    Iv also used mine over the phone to pay for my phone bill with three.

I've recently used the revolut card over the phone too... after having a USD transaction fail 8 times over a 4 day period using an online webshop (& having tried various address combinations... so 8x$63 "pending" transactions = $504) I decided to try once more by phone, not really expecting it to work - to my surprise, it worked and I got my confirmation email immediately. Just waiting the 10 business days for my €504 in pending transactions to revert/time out now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

I've only scanned over the last 5 or so pages here but has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ? Must have had 3 or 4 different people from support try to look at it for me but without any luck and their response time is slow to say the least.

Also, anyone know does bank transfers from UB work? Sent a tenner last night to test so guess I'll find out tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

mgray wrote: »
    I've only scanned over the last 5 or so pages here but has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ? Must have had 3 or 4 different people from support try to look at it for me but without any luck and their response time is slow to say the least.

Also, anyone know does bank transfers from UB work? Sent a tenner last night to test so guess I'll find out tomorrow..

I've had the issue since January 19th. Countless emails, tweets and phone calls to Revolut. Must have reformatted my address two dozen times. Sent tons of test 10 euros which failed every time and had to wait up to 4 days for the money to come back into my account.

My PTSB account works with no issue - all the time.

Revolut washed their hands and pushed me to engage with Ulster Bank.
    So I've written to Ulster Bank because any phone call to their call staff isn't entertained seriously.

Currently Revolut tell me that they are engaging with Ulster Bank - only because I tweeted and told them to stop ignoring Ulster Banks emails. Still I have no proof that this is happening. Trying to get an update from Ulster Bank at the moment on where they are at.

Incompetence at the highest order on both sides.
    Yes I've considered leaving Ulster Bank and possibly will if I don't get a resolution.
    PTSB - although I have a current account with them - their app is terrible.
    EBS - no banking app. So couldn't go with them.
    KBC could be an option.
    I am in the process of closing my Number26 account over the ATM stamp duty farce. I've no confidence in them.

Yes bank transfer work fine with Ulster Bank. But take up to two days. So not ideal if you want to buy some thing on Amazon quickly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

....has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ?

To clarify my situation, i've never had the problems with my UB account that others have experienced so have had nothing to resolve.... yet... fingers crossed.

Thanks Bob.
    msmx5 wrote: »
    To clarify my situation, i've never had the problems with my UB account that others have experienced so have had nothing to resolve.... yet... fingers crossed.

Lucky you, all went wrong for me when i tried to load hotel and spending money to the card the night before going away for weekend only for that money to disappear for 4 days..!!

Was fast losing faith in them till seeing on here is a UB problem, in fairness I did get some decent feedback from them (not just generic emails) so did look like they were trying to sort it, albeit very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 amecullen

Like Bob I have ongoing problems with using my Ulster bank debit card since mid January, (which worked perfectly for several months before hand).
    Again multiple attempts with different address formats, none work.
    No resolution yet from any party.

My current "take" on the situation is that the problem is a combination of the AVS check that revolut introduced in mid January and changes they have made to the app.

Ulster Bank tell me that my postcode on their system is blank. They also tell me that there systems currently do not support the new irish postcode system and they dont have any timescales on when this will be introduced.
    The changes to the revolut app since January, do not allow you to leave the postcode blank, so you must enter something.

I have used different versions of the app and each of them have reformated the address in different ways. First time address line 1 moved into address line 2 and left address line 1 blank, most recent version requires 4 address lines and a postcode to be entered. But there are only three address lines on my ulster bank account.
    I advise anyone that has a working ulster bank card, not to update their address on the app as it may "reformat it" and thus the card may stop working.

On the positive side, I made a bank transfer instead which worked fine, once you carefully follow the instructions and advice on this forum. But I really miss the convenience of being able to use a debit card and I am looking at number26 as a potential alternative.

I found the in app support has really deteriorated so I have stopped using it.

I now send emails to support (24-48 hours to rly) or skype them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Has anyone used this in Australia and has any advice over which ATMs to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

everywhere has free wifi in the states, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to top up quickly.

In relation to fraud protection, you have no cover with your normal visa/mastercard (credit card) if you put money on it. You are only covered for 'their money' not 'your money', meaning that if you are not in debt on your credit card, you're not covered.

Isn't this in violation of Directive 2007/64/EC which limits the liability of a consumer to a maximum of 150€?

To my understanding even a positive balance is covered by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Isn't this in violation of Directive 2007/64/EC which limits the liability of a consumer to a maximum of 150€?

To my understanding even a positive balance is covered by this.

I think some companies are appling the rules of that directive and others have yet to do so. As an example; avantcard will not cover the loss of a positive balance on your credit card but AIB will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Frynge wrote: »
    I think some companies are appling the rules of that directive and others have yet to do so. As an example; avantcard will not cover the loss of a positive balance on your credit card but AIB will.

Wow giving that the directive has been transposed into Irish laws that is unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Wow giving that the directive has been transposed into Irish laws that is unexpected.

Avantcard advised me not to have a positive balance as it would not be insured against fraud about 8 months ago, whereas AIB advised that the €4k i loaded onto the card would be covered against fraud.

Looks like they are acknowledging now there is a problem, here's the response I got today from Revolut on twitter...

@UlsterBank_Help @gray_martin Hey! We're looking into some solutions on our end, but it may take a while.

Looks like they are acknowledging now there is a problem, here's the response I got today from Revolut on twitter...

@UlsterBank_Help @gray_martin Hey! We're looking into some solutions on our end, but it may take a while.

And this why I cannot support Ulster Bank anymore.
    They blatantly lie to you in your tweets and say they are not aware of any issue when you clearly stated it was an AVS issue with Revolut and it was affecting other UB customers.
    I raised the issue with the @UlsterBank_Help as well a week or two earlier - so they should be well familiar when AVS and @RevolutApp are mentioned in a tweet.

They were meant to get back to me but never did. I have to constantly ring them and ask for an update. So the Revolut issue aside - the poor Ulster Bank customer service was enough for me to decide to leave them. I've opened a KBC account and will begin the process over moving over my direct debits one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I just made a purchase of $165.10 on Aliexpress. Before the transaction i checked the rate on the app it converted it to €148.93. The transaction went through at €150.77, yet when i check it again after it was €148.93.

Support say it because of their spread for volatility over the weekend, which i can understand the need for, but why are they not advertising (or calculating) at the spread rate then? (They started ignoring me when i asked them that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Satriale wrote: »
    I just made a purchase of $165.10 on Aliexpress. Before the transaction i checked the rate on the app it converted it to €148.93. The transaction went through at €150.77, yet when i check it again after it was €148.93.

Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost you using your regular bank?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost you using your regular bank?

I'm making it 152.91 just using my AIB Visa s current rates.
    But is there a currency conversion fee on top of that?(says Visa Rest of World 2.75%) that would stick another 4 euros odd onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Tried to pay for stuff on dbrand and it said that address must match address on card!?

Anyone have this problem?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Has anyone used this in Australia and has any advice over which ATMs to use?

If its just for holidays its fine, most machines charge 2 dollar withdrawal fee for revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Was in London at the weekend and got to use the Revolut card for the first time, loved it. Worked seamlessly and the notifications real-time are pretty cool. Only thing I missed from regular bank card is the contactless option, I've got so used to not having to type PIN all the time but it's OK and worth it. I must have saved a fortune in bank fees.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »

Support say it because of their spread for volatility over the weekend, which i can understand the need for, but why are they not advertising (or calculating) at the spread rate then? (They started ignoring me when i asked them that.)

They got back to me and said the rate was correct, and that my internet connection must have been weak and not updating.
    I think this is sh1te cause I updated the app half an hour before the transaction and my connection is great at home.

Anyone else notice an overcharge on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

How do I update to the latest app version?
    How can i tell what version I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Skidrow wrote: »
    How do I update to the latest app version?
    How can i tell what version I have?

go to the profile section the app version is on the bottom of the screen,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Has anyone else completely given up on this because of the UB issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭oinkely

FWIW, I'm with PTSB and the transfers to revolut are instant. Has worked every time so far. No issues at all. Verification would not work with an early version of the app but took all of 30 seconds recently. I've made about 20 transfers int eh last two months, ranging from €10 to €150 and every one has appeared in the app within seconds. One in the last week did not give me the notification but still appeared. Can't fault it from my perspective anyway.

n1ck wrote: »
    Has anyone else completely given up on this because of the UB issues?

I've given up on UB and am switching to KBC.
    Yes I know Revolut share some of the blame here but I've been frustrated by Ulster Banks lack of action on this issue.
    Each time I call them, I have to explain the entire issue again.
    It's like no record of my issue is being kept and it is so annoying having to repeat myself and being told that they will call me back but they never do.
    I call again for an update and the whole process repeats itself.

Most likely it will be eventually solved either by UB or Revolut making allowances in the AVS but when this will be is anyone's guess.

Yes switching 15 odd direct debits is a bit of a nuisance but I am proactive when it comes to banking and have no loyalty whatsoever to any bank.

As mentioned in another post - they fact the PTSB has always worked for me gave me the confidence that the issue lies with UB and fingers crossed that my KBC debit card will work without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Amouar

How about using N26 instead of UB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

oinkely wrote: »
    FWIW, I'm with PTSB and the transfers to revolut are instant. Has worked every time so far. No issues at all. Verification would not work with an early version of the app but took all of 30 seconds recently. I've made about 20 transfers int eh last two months, ranging from €10 to €150 and every one has appeared in the app within seconds. One in the last week did not give me the notification but still appeared. Can't fault it from my perspective anyway.

Same for me, PTSB top ups go through in a few seconds. Only place I had problems using the card abroad were the subway ticket machines in NY as they want you to enter your ZIP code which of course meant I was screwed! Luckily I had a few yankee dollars handy to cover it 'til I could use the Revolut card in an ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

KBC top-ups - no issues.

KBC security actually called me the first time I used it to ask was it a valid payment from myself, since then all go through in about 5seconds.

Amouar wrote: »
    How about using N26 instead of UB?

Yes I hear from other users that it works fine.
    Never tried it myself.
    And I've closed my Number26 account now because of their blanket charge of 5 euros for stamp duty when it should be 12 cent per ATM transaction.

It's not the amount of money - its the laziness on their part / lack of understanding of the regulations in the banking system in Ireland (regardless of how stupid it is to charge stamp duty on debit & credit cards in the first place). Previously they were stating that the stamp duty was to be 30 euro but eventually the backed down and changed it to 5 euro.

I feel I could not use them as my principal bank as I've no confidence in them and also their support can be hit or miss.
    On top of that their cancellation PDF is in German only.
    They've moved to fast to new countries (outside of Germany & Austria) without taking in to account the various regulations and proper language support.

It's a good idea and I was interested in them but they've issues to iron out.

KBC top-ups - no issues.

KBC security actually called me the first time I used it to ask was it a valid payment from myself, since then all go through in about 5seconds.

Cool. Good to know.
    Hopefully I will be back using Revolut soon enough with KBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

No issues transferring funds via BOI. Minor problem with validation that was easily overcome by persistence. Have used the card for months now buying on Amazon, Ebay and in NI and Budapest. I had meant to take a note of savings made for the duration of use, but life and laziness got in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm buying a few things off amazon.com to be delivered to my brothers house in New Jersey. I'm going to use my Revolut card but on payment page it gives 2 options once I select Revolut Mastercard:
    -My card is in Pound Sterling
    -My card is in different currency

Do I select different currency,euro or different currency,US dollars?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm buying a few things off amazon.com to be delivered to my brothers house in New Jersey. I'm going to use my Revolut card but on payment page it gives 2 options once I select Revolut Mastercard:
    -My card is in Pound Sterling
    -My card is in different currency

Do I select different currency,euro or different currency,US dollars?

Select the 'different currency' option and then the currency of the transaction which presumably is US$. If you're asked the currency of your card, always select the currency of the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there a reason why on amazon it always converts from euro to sterling, and never uses the sterling balance I have on revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is there a reason why on amazon it always converts from euro to sterling, and never uses the sterling balance I have on revolut?

WHen you're buying your item, at checkout, is the price in Euros or Sterling?

Turn off Amazon currency converter if it's in Euros, they give a terrible rate anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I keep getting more and more impressed with this card. Bought stuff from the Argentina the other day, no hassle. Had to get a refund from Amazon too and it only took a day to process. Great card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    WHen you're buying your item, at checkout, is the price in Euros or Sterling?

Turn off Amazon currency converter if it's in Euros, they give a terrible rate anyway.

Yeah the card is in sterling on Amazon. Actually thinking about it, it seems to happen everywhere where I buy in sterling. The card converts from my euro balance, and leaves the sterling I have on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can I register a revolut card at an address in the UK or the US for the purposes of buying something online that won't deliver to parcel motel unless the payment method is the same as the delivery address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yeah the card is in sterling on Amazon. Actually thinking about it, it seems to happen everywhere where I buy in sterling. The card converts from my euro balance, and leaves the sterling I have on the card.

You don't leave sterling currency on Revolut when buying from Amazon or UK sites.
    Money will come from your primary currency, Euro, in this case for Irish users. Just convert that money back to Euro to make available when you need it.
    Only reason to keep dollars or sterling in Revolut IMO is if you are hedging them or moving curency around in the hope the rates will change favourably in time for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, me and misses want to get a debit card purely for grocery shopping. Just to put money each on account every week and buy off it when needed.
    Would it work for such needs? Basically tesco shopping etc.
    You can transfer money from your account and different account no problem?

If it's not suitable for that any other ideas to set up such account and atm card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

I've used it for supermarket shopping without any problems, question is will there be a 12c per transaction charge at the end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Guys, me and misses want to get a debit card purely for grocery shopping. Just to put money each on account every week and buy off it when needed.

If it's not suitable for that any other ideas to set up such account and atm card?

It should be perfect for that. I've used it in Tesco, Supervalu and Spar with no problem.

The only time I had an issue was once I forgot my wallet and tried to use it in supervalu with just the number and it didn't work but when I went and got the card it was no problem.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut doesn't support joint accounts and only the account holder can top up their own Revolut account. Only way around this is for both of you to set up your own Revolut accounts as you can also instantly transfer funds from one Revolut account to the other at any time. Excellent option IMO.

Other option is to set up a Number26 account. They don't support joint accounts (yet) either but both of you can transfer funds to the one N26 account from any of your bank accounts. Biggest downside is you can't top it up instantly via debit card like you can with Revolut but transfers to Number 26 generally shouldn't take more than one working day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is there any way to make this work over the phone? I was trying to buy parts today and it was giving back an error code from UK SAGE system as "auth text error". When I got Revolut support they said that the card does not work over the phone, it only works by swiping it or for online use.

What happens in online purchases that is different from ordering over the phone? The vendor had logged into his secure payment portal to manually enter the details but obviously it did not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just a warning to people!!!!!

I had been storing some money in my account to pay the balance of my Glastonbury ticket in a few weeks; changing the odd €50 whenever the Euro - Sterling conversion rate was decent.

I woke up yesterday morning to an "Insufficient balance" message and a balance of £18 instead of £140. Someone in India took out 2 ATM transactions for £106 and ~ £15 in the space of a few hours.

Was straight onto Revolut support who in fairness were pretty quick and decent in their replies. Had to download the new app to make use of the new chat function, and while the new chat function seems to work pretty good, the new app in general is a piece of dog****; hanging every time you open it.

Anyway, word of advice; there's an option in the app to block and unblock your card. Block your card whenever you're not using it and unblock it just before you need to use it: it only takes a second.

Turns out in the UK pre-paid cards aren't protected by normal fraud legislation. In fairness to Revolut they said they'd try and issue chargeback proceedings but couldn't give any guarantees.

I always thought I'd been pretty careful, but just goes to show you never know. I'd only ever used my card for a couple of purchases on Amazon and AliExpress (I think the latter being the source of this particular breach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Anyway, word of advice; there's an option in the app to block and unblock your card. Block your card whenever you're not using it and unblock it just before you need to use it: it only takes a second.

Is it actually possible to do this...? Can you only block it for a certain timeframe....and if you block it, can you only do so for so many times or else the card becomes unusable and you have to get a new card....? Also, if you block it, can you still have money on it or able to lodge money...??

Sorry for all the qs, but I noted this function before, but was afraid to press in case if rendered my card unusable and I have to be issued a new one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

Rewired wrote: »
    I've used it for supermarket shopping without any problems, question is will there be a 12c per transaction charge at the end of the year?

The 12 cent tax is only on ATM withdrawals.
    There are no charges for transactions other than taking money out of a wall.

Last time I tried to block my card, they never bothered sending it out to me. I think it generates a new card number doesn't it?

Is it actually possible to do this...? Can you only block it for a certain timeframe....and if you block it, can you only do so for so many times or else the card becomes unusable and you have to get a new card....? Also, if you block it, can you still have money on it or able to lodge money...??

Sorry for all the qs, but I noted this function before, but was afraid to press in case if rendered my card unusable and I have to be issued a new one.....

You can still have money on it , and block and unblock whenever your want, no limited timeframe. (Not sure about lodging money, try it and see, it wont do any harm anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

No in the app you can click on card, unblock, block as many times as you want. I normally block it after a transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone know of any bank ATM in New York or anywhere in US, that don't charge fees to withdraw cash?
    I know Bank of America, Wells Fargo all charge between 2-3$ per cash withdrawal.

Heading to US with my Revolut card and want to minimise extra charges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement