Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought car declared off the road, can i drive once off?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

djimi wrote: »
    Youre going to have to tax it either way. Its better to pay the tax now if it means you can drive it home, rather than paying someone a couple of hundred quid to trailer it home for you, and still having to tax it next week.

You can't tax or if it's not in your name yet - nor declare it off the road.

Actually, the whole thing is a mess.

No surprise there then. ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Being frank, and I buy an awful lot of cars.. I just buy em, insure em and drive em home. Then I park them up and await the Tax book before proceeding any further. It would be an awful bollix of a guard that did you for no tax, most are reasonable about it, and if they did do you, it's a €60 fine, which is less than a recovery charge. Never had any issues though, and I do it an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bear in mind that th off road declaration is voided by a sale and a new declaration by the new owner would be necessary. Don't get caught out thinking it's already declared off, you could get a nasty surprise when yoy get charged the back tax!

corktina wrote: »
    Bear in mind that th off road declaration is voided by a sale and a new declaration by the new owner would be necessary. Don't get caught out thinking it's already declared off, you could get a nasty surprise when yoy get charged the back tax!

Unless you err, "sold" it to the missus..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got done for not displaying a tax disc after I bought a car one time. Bitch of a ban garda

• Advertisement

Unless you err, "sold" it to the missus..

obviously, but I referred to a situation where someone might not realise that they had to re-declare it and then go in a few months later to tax it...a bit late to transfer it then!

I got done for not displaying a tax disc after I bought a car one time. Bitch of a ban garda

no such thing as a Ban Garda anymore... her gender doesn't come into it, and she was merely doing her job.

corktina wrote: »
    no such thing as a Ban Garda anymore... her gender doesn't come into it, and she was merely doing her job.

Maybe it was a bloke Gard and he got banned as a result..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

galwaytt wrote: »
    You can't tax or if it's not in your name yet - nor declare it off the road.

Actually, the whole thing is a mess.

No surprise there then. ....

yeh agree fully!

However, if you get the seller to send in the documents and track the change of ownership ONLINE you can even declare the vehicle off road online as well!

Bit of advice, if you're not declaring the vehicle off road. Put a deposit on the vehicle and buy it on the first day of the following month. thus not paying tax on the days of the previous month you didn't own or drive the bloomin' thing.

Advertisement