Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car declared off the road, can i drive once off?

Options
  • 18-03-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I know its unlikely now. This car has NCT currently. The car is in munster and a lot of miles away from me. Is there any provision made for a just purchased car to be drove home in this new legislation, i heard something before about an NCT provision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If its declared off the road then its not taxed. Theres no provision for driving an untaxed car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

No can do. But if you pop in to the tax office they will put if back on the road immediately and you will walk out of there with a tax disk in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

voz es wrote: »
    I know its unlikely now. This car has NCT currently. The car is in munster and a lot of miles away from me. Is there any provision made for a just purchased car to be drove home in this new legislation, i heard something before about an NCT provision?

If you tax and insure it from the date you purchased it then there should be no reason why you can't drive it wherever you like. You can generally do both on line and be covered immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Thanks folks. Do I not have to wait for a new logbook before I tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks folks. Do I not have to wait for a new logbook before I tax it?

Is it being bought through a garage or a private sale.? If private you could get the current owner to tax it before the sale. Not sure how quick you can tax it with a garage sale. They can transfer ownership online so you may be able to tax it straight away yourself or maybe they could do it.

• Advertisement

Is it being bought through a garage or a private sale.? If private you could get the current owner to tax it before the sale. Not sure how quick you can tax it with a garage sale. They can transfer ownership online so you may be able to tax it straight away yourself or maybe they could do it.

It's a private sale I never heard if it being done before. It is a pity that i didnt ask this question before I bought it, I dont like asking them to go queing in the tax office for half the day now the deal is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

I'm currently in a similar situation.
    I purchased a vehicle privately on 9th March and still waiting for the documentation re. change of ownership to arrive. The car is sitting in my driveway but as i'm not registered as the owner I can't insure, tax or drive it. However , the tax rules will charge me for tax for March which is now more that half over,,,,, How PAINFUL AND INFURIATING is that.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It's a private sale I never heard if it being done before. It is a pity that i didnt ask this question before I bought it, I dont like asking them to go queing in the tax office for half the day now the deal is done.

They can do it in five minutes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If its a sale from a garage, they should be able to tax it for you, AFAIK. Or deliver it to you with trade plates, or get it trailered, but taxing it would probably be cheaper option.

I had better weigh up my options so, three months tax is €179 I cant imagine paying a man with Van and trailer down from mayo to limerick would be much cheaper!

Can paying tax online can be done at anytime or is it 9-5 mon-fri? I assume any time at all.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If its a sale from a garage, they should be able to tax it for you, AFAIK. Or deliver it to you with trade plates, or get it trailered, but taxing it would probably be cheaper option.
    it's Private bonzodog

I had better weigh up my options so, three months tax is €179 I cant imagine paying a man with Van and trailer down from mayo to limerick would be much cheaper!

Can paying tax online can be done at anytime or is it 9-5 mon-fri? I assume any time at all.

Youre going to have to tax it either way. Its better to pay the tax now if it means you can drive it home, rather than paying someone a couple of hundred quid to trailer it home for you, and still having to tax it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    They can do it in five minutes online.

Previous owner won't be able to tax vehicle online if it's been declared off the road.

CiniO wrote: »
    Previous owner won't be able to tax vehicle online if it's been declared off the road.

Why is that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

get the paperwork signed, waltz into the nearest tax office and hey presto it is taxed, i fot a car last dec, i went straight into the tax office and came out clutching a tax disc in my sweaty paw. they could see that i had contacted my insurance company and had it insured.

Fair enough, I though you could.

flutered wrote: »
    get the paperwork signed, waltz into the nearest tax office and hey presto it is taxed, i fot a car last dec, i went straight into the tax office and came out clutching a tax disc in my sweaty paw. they could see that i had contacted my insurance company and had it insured.

Is it not normally the seller that sends off the paperwork? Actually can the buyer not bring the paperwork with them, i had to wait two weeks a few years back a lad kept forgetting to send it on

I could be entirely wrong in saying this, but if you can show that you have just bought the car then I cant see any Garda prosecuting you for not having tax, considering you actually cant tax the thing until you have the logbook. Didnt someone in another thread mention a 10 day grace period after buying a car before you can be prosecuted for driving it untaxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I could be entirely wrong in saying this, but if you can show that you have just bought the car then I cant see any Garda prosecuting you for not having tax, considering you actually cant tax the thing until you have the logbook. Didnt someone in another thread mention a 10 day grace period after buying a car before you can be prosecuted for driving it untaxed?

I remember there was a 10 day after purchase to either tax or declare the car off the road, too.
    Not sure if it was introduced already, or due in 2020;)

Also as soon as car is sold the non-use declaration is cancelled automatically.

Why is that now?

I dont know. Thats just a way their system works.
    My car was declared off the road since december and I wanted to tax it from 1st March. Tried online but system said its impossible.
    I had to avoid driving the car for few days (as it was weekend), pay for taxis, and then take day off work on Monday to get 40km down to motortax office to pay the bloody tax.

• Advertisement

Unfortunarely there is no grace period so you can be prosecuted the minite uou drive off he seller's door.
    Obvioualy garda might choose not to prosecute you, but it's fully up to him.

I dont know. Thats just a way their system works.
    My car was declared off the road since december and I wanted to tax it from 1st March. Tried online but system said its impossible.
    I had to avoid driving the car for few days (as it was weekend), pay for taxis, and then take day off work on Monday to get 40km down to motortax office to pay the bloody tax.

Ouch! thanks for the info

wonski wrote: »
    I remember there was a 10 day after purchase to either tax or declare the car off the road, too.
    Not sure if it was introduced already, or due in 2020;)

Also as soon as car is sold the non-use declaration is cancelled automatically.

I remember reading of a young lad driveing around with no tax or insurance the evening after he bought a car. He was up in court and looseing the licence and had a nice fine to go along with it. Possibally the lack of insurance was the main problem but i dont know now!

I remember reading of a young lad driveing around with no tax or insurance the evening after he bought a car. He was up in court and looseing the licence and had a nice fine to go along with it. Possibally the lack of insurance was the main problem but i dont know now!

Insurance was the issue there; you wouldnt lose your license (or indeed end up in court) for not having the car taxed, not for a first offense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Would this be a possible loophole for the op?

If the op can book an NCT near their home for the car on the day they will be driving it back(you should be able to NCT three months in advance of expiry date) You can then legally drive the car for the purposes of getting it tested.
    If you were stopped by the gardai you should just have to show that the car is in transit to be tested and that you are insured to drive it. You may just need the sellers help in booking the NCT, cant remember whats required for that.

What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
    A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:
    to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.

FROM: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q12

pippip wrote: »

If the op can book an NCT near their home for the car on the day they will be driving it back(you should be able to NCT three months in advance of expiry date) You can then legally drive the car for the purposes of getting it tested.
    If you were stopped by the gardai you should just have to show that the car is in transit to be tested and that you are insured to drive it. You may just need the sellers help in booking the NCT, cant remember whats required for that.

A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:
    to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.

FROM: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q12

Brilliant idea, the bloddy NCT is for July though I need to get the car on the road for the start of the month.

pippip wrote: »

Smart idea, but won't work.
    Firstly, as it says in your FAQ question, it applies to the car which is declared off the road.
    Once OP buys this car, it's not declared anymore, so this exemption doesn't apply.

Secondly, this exemption is doubtful, as there doesn't seem to be any law allowing for it. Or just no one on boards could have find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Bring the log book signed to the tax office. They will send it away for you and you can get tax that day. Done this on my last car but before the new declared off road rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭ffocused

I went through a checkpoint unscathed after buying a car a few years ago with no tax on it. I was driving the new car & the wife was behind me in our old car.
    I told the guard i had just bought the car & my wife was in the car behind me, he checked the windscreen of my old car (which was all in order) & waved us on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Bring the log book signed to the tax office. They will send it away for you and you can get tax that day. Done this on my last car but before the new declared off road rule.

It's a stupid seller who hands the VLC to the buyer.

The seller could get it taxed but it all depends on how far away the tax office is from their home.

Advertisement