Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

neighborgoods.net

• 06-09-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

This is a bargain alert as far as it can help save money - I hope mods are OK with this, otherwise, feel free to remove.

I just came across this site. Brilliant idea: instead of buying a drill or a power washer, take a loan from a contact. Think about how many things you have at home that you might have used just once or twice in the last year...

The site tracks your incoming and outgoing lendings and feedback from other users.

There are only about 15 users in Dublin so far (it is getting big in the US). If anyone around here wants to hook up with me I have the same user handle (zynks). I am willing to do business there with anyone who has a good track record in Boards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Is there any for wifes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Nah, you can't give things away on that site... wait, you want her back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Hmmm, more thinking of a swap - for good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

It's early days yet it seems.

Just signed up and got "There are currently 6 people within 100 miles sharing 1 item". :D

Great idea though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sok2005 wrote: »
    Just signed up and got "There are currently 6 people within 100 miles sharing 1 item". :D

Sounds like that dogging site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sounds like that dogging site..

First thing that came into my mind but with me being a lady and all...... :D

This post seems to have worked to a certain extent. Sign ups have grown from 15 to 27 so far. Hopefully we will see more "social business" taking off in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I seriously cant see this taking off... its bad enough when someone borrows something from you and you get it back less some bits or covered in oil/dirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

This is a great idea and has great potential IMHO. Dispute resolution seems to be a weak area though and that is the important bit in facilitating borrowing like this.

I would be interested to hear feedback from the Irish users that have signed up already - I know it's very early days here yet though.

If there was an open sourced (i.e. free) version of it for local communities, down to the level of, say, a row of houses, then that might work better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Would be great if there was a boards.ie group, http://neighborgoods.net/groups/new

Link it into a new forum on boards for it. Could work really well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

problem with something like this is that there will never be the level of trust in Ireland to loan to strangers, which will make this difficult to get off the ground. Somewhere like Japan it would be very successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Can I borry a lend of yor strimmer, dayr? I'll puh a drop a petural in her after for yeh.

I have to say that all those reasons to hesitate have crossed my mind. The way I see it I am managing the risk by sharing with:

- people I know (you can chose to share with specific people)
    - People with good feedback and verified
    - People coming from Boards with a "good track record" who I can check out

Sure, there are some risks, but in my view the potential benefits outweigh them.

Edit: PS - there is a paid option to set closed groups up - the cost is $6/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I signed up for this when I lived in NYC but never got much traffic from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

I wholeheartedly endorse these efforts. I think the afore-mentioned reservations regarding trust and feedback are entirely valid, but hopefully if people keep their wits about them and the project organisers implement appropriate mechanisms this won't be a serious issue. (I have already reported one user who was clearly taking the piss and the staff responded very quickly.)
    Doodlebug wrote:
    If there was an open sourced (i.e. free) version of it for local communities, down to the level of, say, a row of houses, then that might work better?

I tried something similar to this a few years ago (albeit local but not at level of "row of houses") in Dublin. You can read about it here. It wasn't as well-designed as neighborgoods.net though - and I'd suggest using these sort of facilities for the time being (even though they aren't open-source).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I've 20 grand out the back garden ,I need a loan of a back scrubber ......

I wonder ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

DSLC wrote: »
    I tried something similar to this a few years ago (albeit local but not at level of "row of houses") in Dublin. You can read about it here. It wasn't as well-designed as neighborgoods.net though - and I'd suggest using these sort of facilities for the time being (even though they aren't open-source).

Fair play to ya - would have liked to see that in action! I was actually thinking about putting something local together myself and about the possibilities of using it for other odd-jobs/skills, etc. The more I think about it, the more work I can see in getting it up and running, but it does seem like something worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

community spirit use to drive things like this ,I'd say this would work wonders in newer estates where folks haven't got a lot of time to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I think the idea in principle is really good....but like anything, it just takes a few people to wreck it.

Where i think it would work really well is in an apartment block complex where storage is limited in comaprison to house owners. Ive often found myself in my mad DIY bursts (few and far between) goin " aww crap i really need a ladder/carpet cleaner/sander" etc. Even a mulituse hoover in one set of apts id be happy to share rather than store the feckin thing in my place.Space is precious!

Hmmm.....as im typing, im havin a lightbulb moment :D

Edit/ to clarify...theres 8 apts in my "section" of an apt block. So i think sharing 1 hoover between that amount seems more realistic than with 48 apts in a whole block now that i think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

While I like the idea - in principal - there are very very few people that I know personally to whom I would loan various tools. Give them to relative strangers? ... I think not :(

My experience of such 'lending' has been - in the main - negative over many years ....... and that to people well known to me.

Tools were abused whether due to ignorance or carelessness ..... it is immaterial to me as the result was the same.

• Advertisement

While I like the idea - in principal - there are very very few people that I know personally to whom I would loan various tools. Give them to relative strangers? ... I think not :(

My experience of such 'lending' has been - in the main - negative over many years ....... and that to people well known to me.

Tools were abused whether due to ignorance or carelessness ..... it is immaterial to me as the result was the same.

I think that is where the value of rating and feedback comes into play. If someone has a good history, your risk is likely to be smaller. Another point to consider is that even if one of your loans goes sour and you compare it with the savings on taking loans rather than buying new gear, you are still likely to be better off.

I am willing to take some controlled risks for the sake of the concept.

The criticisms against this initiative are quite predictable, but ultimately I think they are tenuous. If people's heart isn't in it, that's fine, but these endless arguments that "people can't be trusted" are slightly lame. Everyone knows that some people can't be trusted. The idea is that you use your noggin to distinguish those who can from those who can't. There are already a number of mechanisms in place to prevent loss and abuse, and if you think these are deficient you can always offer suggestions for improvement.

Obviously there is a risk involved, but the idea is that you use your wits to minimize this. There is no onus on you to ever share with someone who you don't deem to be competent or trustworthy. Nor - as far as I can discern - is there any stipulation that you can not demand compensation in the case of damage or breakage. Also, it should be noted that - e.g., if you don't trust someone - you can always demand a fee. To quote:
    For example, you can allow your friends to borrow the item for free and charge others a rental fee. NeighborGoods: About
    Another option might be to charge people a deposit - as a sort of collateral (or whatever the term is).

Lastly, while Zynks touted this project as potentially a money-saver for bargain-hunters, I would view it somewhat differently (although I suppose it is that as well). I think this sort of initiative is very badly needed in our current climate. I would view it more as a sort of antidote to the culture of the mé-féiner - which as far as I can discern has wreaked absolute havoc both privately and publicly.

I am with you DSLC, the value of this goes way beyond savings. However, if I used any other argumentation it would be hard to justify this thread in Bargain Alerts ;-)

I understand Zynks - and no criticism intended. Indeed, well done for initiating the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

An excuse for me NOT to purchase a new tool for a one off job? jasus, don't let my wife see this...:pac:

The question of borrower accountability, deposits, and collateral was addressed by the NG staff here. To quote:
    You absolutely can request a deposit, and the ability to do so is built right into the transaction tools! In addition to setting a deposit you can also set pickup and return dates, and a rental price.
    Once you register you have an option to run through a test transaction to see how these options are implemented.

Would it be ok to mention this in one of the regional - e.g. Dublin - forums? There are probably a few people who would be interested but don't necessarily read these subforums.

I guess that would have a different angle, so not double posting, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

This reminds me of the time a neighbour borrowed a little hand held sander from us. Returned with burnt out motor - fecker sanded his entire floor with it:P

Good idea in principle tho :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Zynks. I'll probably mention it at some stage over the next few days, but - perhaps needless to say - if moderators object I won't pursue it.

That was my point. Since it will have a different angle it is not double posting, so I don't think that the moderators would object. Of course, I could be wrong, it has happened before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Fair play to ya - would have liked to see that in action! I was actually thinking about putting something local together myself and about the possibilities of using it for other odd-jobs/skills, etc. The more I think about it, the more work I can see in getting it up and running, but it does seem like something worth doing.

Dunno if its on any other regional forum but The Galway Forum has a Skills Swap thread going for a while. It has over 100 posts now. I cant link from mobile but its a Sticky at the top.

Advertisement