Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin mobile launches on Monday [3 months Free for existing customers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi how do you get the free tenner? Spend about €100 a month on groceries etc? I'm an aldi/lidl lurker so would it really benefit me going to tescomobile :)

Yeah I'm tescomobile too and I don't know about a free tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Yeah I'm tescomobile too and I don't know about a free tenner?

A €5 Tesco voucher = €15 in Tesco mobile credit via Tesco boost.
    An easy way to build up Tesco vouchers is to get a Tesco credit card. I do 95% of my monthly spend on my credit card and always pay it off. You get one point for every €2 spent on it from most world wide transactions.
    Note: if you are someone who cannot contol your spending then the credit card is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

bromley52 wrote: »
    A €5 Tesco voucher = €15 in Tesco mobile credit via Tesco boost.
    An easy way to build up Tesco vouchers is to get a Tesco credit card. I do 95% of my monthly spend on my credit card and always pay it off. You get one point for every €2 spent on it from most world wide transactions.
    Note: if you are someone who cannot contol your spending then the credit card is not for you.

How much do you have to spend to earn a fiver voucher? I can't figure it out on their site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How much do you have to spend to earn a fiver voucher? I can't figure it out on their site
    €1 = 1pt, 500pts = €5. Technically €500 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

kn wrote: »
    Its cetainly hotting up in the mobile market. I can see Vodafone being left behind very quickly with all these offers.

Correct,They have the best coverage country wide but far dearer. Im with three myself and always have great speeds on 4G.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    €1 = 1pt, 500pts = €5. Technically €500 :cool:

In Tesco stores yes, but if you let's say spend €50 anywhere other than Tesco and use a Tesco credit card you get 25 points. So if you spend €1500 on your credit card every month that is roughly worth €7.5-€15/ month depending how much shopping you do in Tesco using extra point vouchers etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Three's coverage has always been patchy. Their lack of facing up to problems is beyond a joke. More than 4 years with the problem of piggybacking on VF where the phone wouldn't auto switch back to 3G, and Three completely ignored it. Their version of customer service was by far the worst I have ever come across. You have to wonder how much their network can take with Three, TM, ID and now Virgin all piggybacking on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

bromley52 wrote: »
    In Tesco stores yes, but if you let's say spend €50 anywhere other than Tesco and use a Tesco credit card you get 25 points. So if you spend €1500 on your credit card every month that is roughly worth €7.5-€15/ month depending how much shopping you do in Tesco using extra point vouchers etc.

I have a Tesco credit card that really brings in the points but probably the easiest points are the 50, 100 points etc offers in the quarterly mailing. I can generally get it over €10 per quarter or €30 in credit i.e. two months free calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Guys and Girls

I opened this thread for Virgins new mobile offer NOT to discuss how to get cheap Tesco Credit....There's enough threads on that without causing the hamsters to work any harder....thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Correct,They have the best coverage country wide but far dearer. Im with three myself and always have great speeds on 4G.

They actually don't.that may be true 8 tears ago.

All the real investments in roll outs have been
    Meteror despite their non premium image they haven't been just pocketing the cash.

The fact they can piggy back on eircom infrastructure and existing sites across the country has meteor ahead of the rest.actually its a surprise their marketing team doesn't wake up and use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I wonder what the international call rates are with Virgin mobile. Because it's like 2-3 cents a minute with Tesco mo.... oh wait.. lets keep it to Virgin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

whiterebel wrote: »
    You have to wonder how much their network can take with Three, TM, ID and now Virgin all piggybacking on the service.

And 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Three's coverage has always been patchy. Their lack of facing up to problems is beyond a joke. More than 4 years with the problem of piggybacking on VF where the phone wouldn't auto switch back to 3G, and Three completely ignored it. Their version of customer service was by far the worst I have ever come across. You have to wonder how much their network can take with Three, TM, ID and now Virgin all piggybacking on the service.

Totally agree. Their network has been on a downward slide for years now and has never improved. It just dragged O2 down with it. I would love if this Virgin mobile improved things but I have very little hope of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

kendragon wrote: »
    Totally agree. They're network has been on a downward slide for years now and has never improved. It just dragged O2 down with it. I would love if this Virgin mobile improved things but I have very little hope of it.

Not at all.

Here is what the 02/Three merger got us if ya want to read it-->Less competition and price increases and some other stuff from a dopey regulator.

I think this vid goes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Existing Virgin Media or UPC customers will be able to avail of either
    offer for free for the first three months.

.... so you're tied in for another 9m after the free 3m?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Furzy wrote: »
    .... so you're tied in for another 9m after the free 3m?

Doubt it. UPC Virgin will want to quickly capitalise on their existing 500,000 Irish customer base. So it's likely to be a genuine value offer.

From The Irish Times 1/10/15...
    "The mobile service will offer two tariffs on 30-day contracts - one low cost limited offering and a second unlimited subscription service that offers data, with the company offering three months free to customers."

On the other hand, this is being spun as a Virgin takeover of UPC. No so. UPC’s parent company Liberty Global actually bought Virgin Media in 2013. So it's likely that the same appalling and deteriorating customer "service" ethos will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The fact they can piggy back on eircom infrastructure and existing sites across the country has meteor ahead of the rest.actually its a surprise their marketing team doesn't wake up and use it

eircom had no existing mobile infrastructure for Meteor to piggyback on.

Meteor/eircom had a deal that their customers in areas not served by their towers would be served by O2 while they slowly expanded.

The reason their 4G was so successful is because of a very well planned launch that didn't involve adding in an entire another network and because I worked on it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

delahuntv wrote: »
    The O2 network was completely overloaded and utter rubbish at peak time. There was virtually no investment in the network for the 2 years running up to Three taking over.

Unluckily for three, the O2 network finally burst at the seams just after they took it over and as usual the media which is now devoid of real journalists, just went with the most negative story.

IMO, those who used to be with O2 are lucky Three took over and have the capacity on their network - owner fo three is one of the largest comms compnaies in the world.
    Quite the opposite actually.

The Three network was bursting at the seams at peak times, O2 had perfectly usable 3G speeds (I was on O2) until the merge process began.

As soon as Three started piling "all you can eat" subscribers onto the O2 network, the result was going to be no different to how the Three network held up since All You Can Eat data came into play - net result the performance went to hell for ex-O2 subscribers overnight.

Now with two growing MVNOs with large resources behind them gaining access to airtime capacity for pittance the demands on the already oversubscribed network is just going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

On the other hand, this is being spun as a Virgin takeover of UPC. No so. UPC’s parent company Liberty Global actually bought Virgin Media in 2013. So it's likely that the same appalling and deteriorating customer "service" ethos will continue.

This.

I was happy to find out they are coming, until I red they are own by UPC. Not a chance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I was with 02 for the past 8 years, no problems to speak of, the odd outage, but only a couple in that time. Since 3 took over my coverage has turned to muck. I used to have 4-5 bars all the time at home, now only 1-3 and sometimes lose it altogether. My mobile wifi dongle speeds have dropped as well. Thinking of changing to (dare I say it) Vodafone, for an extra €5 a month I will have a LOT better service, (just like my neighbour)

I've heard that 3 are decommissioning the O2 network as it's not possible to install patches on the whole system at once. Apparently patches need to installed separately at each exchange. (I'm no expert, I'm just reiterating what one of my lecturers told us)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think I'll be putting my mam on this, she's a UPC customer who currently has TV/phone/broadband with them and is out of contract.

The plan is to ditch the TV and get a saorview/freesat set up for her, and instead get her signed up for the mobile with them. Hopefully there will be a bundle with even better savings.

Does anyone know, as she's out of contract, can she just cancel the TV for example and sign up the mobile or a bundle and start on that plan immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

cormie wrote:
    The plan is to ditch the TV and get a saorview/freesat set up for her, and instead get her signed up for the mobile with them. Hopefully there will be a bundle with even better savings.

cormie wrote:
    I think I'll be putting my mam on this, she's a UPC customer who currently has TV/phone/broadband with them and is out of contract.

cormie wrote:
    Does anyone know, as she's out of contract, can she just cancel the TV for example and sign up the mobile or a bundle and start on that plan immediately?

Hi ur mom has to send a cancellation email to upc. Then only they will cancel . After contract is finished it's 30 days notice to terminate one service. So better shoot email now as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wow, you have to cancel the whole account to just get rid of the tv service? :eek: Does this mean she'll be without phone and broadband for 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ She can just cancel the TV. No need to close whole account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

cormie wrote: »
    Wow, you have to cancel the whole account to just get rid of the tv service? :eek: Does this mean she'll be without phone and broadband for 30 days?

Better off threatening to cancel everything, chances are she'll be put on a bundle that's cheaper than a standalone product.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

Well when you think of it Three has double the bandwidth than either Vodafone and Meteor now.

Three have 3 x UMTS 2100 Mhz carriers, 1 x UMTS 900 Mhz carrier, an LTE 800 channel and an LTE 1800 carrier. Add to that O2's 3 x UMTS 2100 Mhz carriers, 1 x UMTS 900 and 2G network you have alot to play with.

If you keep Tesco, 24 Mobile, Virgin all on 3G at best (also O2 customers for a while too) then you really do have enough bandwidth to support it. I'm not sure if Virgin will be a full 'piggyback' situation more likely piggyback on the Radio Access Network (Antennas/sites) mainly and potentially have their own core at some point.

It's great for customers with prices so competitive.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/ now shows when upc.ie is entered but just an error page is displayed.

Edit: Site now live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

15 eur and 25 eur pm packages.....not sure they are good offers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

That's that then... :rolleyes:
    VirginUPC_zpsz5fw8um4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Well when you think of it Three has double the bandwidth than either Vodafone and Meteor now.

Three have 3 x UMTS 2100 Mhz carriers, 1 x UMTS 900 Mhz carrier, an LTE 800 channel and an LTE 1800 carrier. Add to that O2's 3 x UMTS 2100 Mhz carriers, 1 x UMTS 900 and 2G network you have alot to play with.

If you keep Tesco, 24 Mobile, Virgin all on 3G at best (also O2 customers for a while too) then you really do have enough bandwidth to support it. I'm not sure if Virgin will be a full 'piggyback' situation more likely piggyback on the Radio Access Network (Antennas/sites) mainly and potentially have their own core at some point.

It's great for customers with prices so competitive.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that they can't use any of the licences o2 had so that's why they decommissioned lots of o2 sites and also the reason the o2 service went from the best for years to barely able to make a call in my area.

Advertisement