Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rusted exhaust and NCT - will I pass??

• 10-03-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

The exhaust back box on my 03 Alfa 147 got quite rusty over last year or so..I had a good look the other eve and lots fell away (and I pulled off a large lump of metal/rust too)... Now the back box is solid, no holes nor noise...it appears to be an 'outer shell' that rusted (see pics) Any ideas if I'm ok for NCT (26 march) - could I just weld the gaps and clean it up? New back box is 180 - 300 depending on where one goes

Comments

I honestly don't know if they'd fail it on the outer skin being like that. I had the same experience recently and all the mounting brackets rusted too, I got a stainless steel box made up that's as quiet as the OE one without any flash pipes either so it looks OE too.

I'd remove the rest of the skin and paint it with black VHT paint to make it look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

RoverJames wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if they'd fail it on the outer skin being like that. I had the same experience recently and all the mounting brackets rusted too, I got a stainless steel box made up that's as quiet as the OE one without any flash pipes either so it looks OE too.

I'd remove the rest of the skin and paint it with black VHT paint to make it look better.

I'd be concerned about removing rest of skin....might make the whole thing unstable..maybe a buddy might put a weld line across join and I'll paint with VHT ..cheap and easy ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.kwasny.de/index.php?id=184&L=1

Just spray that over it ..

Looks the job....will still need a weld though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Zipppy wrote: »
    Looks the job....will still need a weld though :(

I dont think they'd fail your on an outer cover, The Heatshield is always rusty on most cars going through the NCT, I dont think its an issue unless the exhaust is blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

An exhaust system would be classified as a disposable part of a car right? Their not going to last forever and anything which is not stainless steel is going to rust soon enough. I don't seewhy they would fail you unless it was structurally defected.

I dont think they'd fail your on an outer cover, The Heatshield is always rusty on most cars going through the NCT, I dont think its an issue unless the exhaust is blowing.

Not blowing, no holes, no noise...just looks unsightly :(

Just coming back to this to say I passed no bother...didnt do ought with exhaust :)

Cheers All ...

Advertisement