Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cash for certified scrap of a running 2000 Mondeo?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a Mondeo in which the clutch just started slipping. I've investigated getting it fixed and learned that it requires a CSC (concentric slave cylinder) as well as the normal clutch kit and will cost €500-600 to fix. It has 115K miles and is due the NCT in 2 months and will need 2 new tyres (and quite possibly more work) to pass the test (not to mention a new clutch and CSC). Basically, I might get 500-600 for selling it now with a fixed clutch and 2 months NCT. I might get 1000 for selling it with a new NCT cert. So, I'm not going to bother fixing it!

Another factor is that I just paid €550 tax and want to get most of that back by scrapping the car with a registered End-Of-Life scrap yard.

Soooo... after all that, my question is, should I expect to get money for this car, considering it is running and in reasonable condition - some scratches but no major dents/damage?? I think a good scrap yard could get at least €1000 for all the different bits and pieces. Will I get €200-300 for giving it to them? If so, where's a good place to ask?

PS - Sorry, I'm not good at making a long story short! :o

Cheers,
    Brian
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It sounds as though the car has otherwise been good to you OP and trouble free(until now) - I'd fix it, there will be another few years left in it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but it's hardly "old" being a 00 reg car.

The only reason not to fix it is if you were availing of the scrappage scheme, and by the sounds of it you're not.

PS you'll probably have to pay a scrappie to take the car from you(unless the exterior and interior are like new, you might get something for it then) and you won't get 600 for it in its current condition. Mondeos are ten a penny so a scrappie is not losing out on much by not taking the car from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks very much captainspeed,

I'd agree with you that it is a shame to have to scrap a car which is otherwise fine (and would, I'm sure, go for several more years)... but I'm thinking of it in the following terms:

Scenario 1 - Scrap the car at a registered scrap yard and get and End-Of-Life cert
    Money spent: 0
    Money made: approx €450 (tax refund - possibly more if I get €100-200 for it from a scrap yard*)
    Net gain: €450

Scenario 2 - Sell the car to a private buyer/dealer (with clutch slipping)
    Money spent: 0
    Money made: approx €150 (if I'm very lucky)
    Net gain: €150

Scenario 3 - Get the clutch fixed and sell the car (with only 2 months NCT)
    Money spent: €600 (clutch repair)
    Money made: approx €500 (optimistic sale value of car with no NCT)
    Net Gain: -€100

Scenario 4 - Get the clutch fixed, book the NCT, pass it and sell the car
    Money spent: €600 (clutch repair), €150 (2 new tyres), potentially €200-300 on other work required to get NCT passed (usually the case in my experience) - Total approx €900
    Money made: approx €800-900 (optimistic sale value of car with NCT)
    Net Gain: -€100

Yes, I could keep the car but I just don't want to keep spending money year after year on it. I'd rather spend that money on having a much newer car with low mileage!

* Anyway... anybody point me in the direction of a EOL-registered scrap yard that gives money for cars? It seems only fair since they can make so much by selling off bits and pieces from it. And the fact that mondeos are 'ten a penny' should work in my favour because people will always be looking for parts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Is it just the clutch going on it then?

You cant get around getting new tyres for any car and using that as a for and against keeping your current car in my mind doesnt make sense so lets keep that out of the consideration.

If everything else has been well maintained and isnt showing genuine signs of age and you can confirm its not your driving style effecting the clutch then Id say theres another 5 years left in the car at least.

My 00 car flew through the NCT last week so its not like you have less of a chance of passing with an older car if its well maintained.
    What exactly is the quite possibly more work needed to pass the NCT you talk about?

Well, the last couple of times I've had the NCT, I've had some random suspension/under-body issues that have cost €150-200 afair (sorry, can't be any more specific than that because I don't remember). So, I'm assuming that that trend will continue.

I've kind of decided that I want to sell it at this stage because I think it is a liability. I never thought I'd get much for selling it because it is not all that 'clean' body-wise (wife learned to drive on it a couple of years ago and left her mark, no dents, just plenty of scrapes - allows for example). It is showing it's age on the outside and in terms of engine power, so I just don't want to risk forking out 200-500 for different jobs now and then for the next 2-3 years only to be left with a car worth nothing anyway. Plus I'm kind of tired of driving a 1.8L petrol guzzler (I've calculated that I can save €700 per year on tax, insurance and petrol on a 1.4L which I would be perfectly happy with).

So, on that basis, I want to sell or scrap the car and the above scenarios highlight the fact that scrapping and taking my tax refund is the best (and least risky) option. I agree with you that all cars need tyres (and tax) but I'm just not sure if my old 'banger' deserves them at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Well, the last couple of times I've had the NCT, I've had some random suspension/under-body issues that have cost €150-200 afair (sorry, can't be any more specific than that because I don't remember). So, I'm assuming that that trend will continue.

I've kind of decided that I want to sell it at this stage because I think it is a liability. I never thought I'd get much for selling it because it is not all that 'clean' body-wise (wife learned to drive on it a couple of years ago and left her mark, no dents, just plenty of scrapes - allows for example). It is showing it's age on the outside and in terms of engine power, so I just don't want to risk forking out 200-500 for different jobs now and then for the next 2-3 years only to be left with a car worth nothing anyway. Plus I'm kind of tired of driving a 1.8L petrol guzzler (I've calculated that I can save €700 per year on tax, insurance and petrol on a 1.4L which I would be perfectly happy with).

So, on that basis, I want to sell or scrap the car and the above scenarios highlight the fact that scrapping and taking my tax refund is the best (and least risky) option. I agree with you that all cars need tyres (and tax) but I'm just not sure if my old 'banger' deserves them at this stage :pac:

I get ya. Well I have no experience with scrap yards but would there be any way you could cheaply get past the NCT and try and avail of the scrappage scheme?

A friend said you needed an NCT to avail of it but anyway, it could work out better in your favour.

• Advertisement

That's true. But the car only needs to have an NCT that has expired no early than 90 days ago. Mine doesn't expire until July so the car would be a suitable candidate for the scrappage deal (although not til July because it was registered in July 2000 and it needs to be at least 10 years old).

However, I'm not really in the market for a new car despite the huge scrappage incentives. I've been saving for years for a house deposit and I'm not sure if I want that big of a hole in my savings for the sake of a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I think your mind is already made up !

Bazzy wrote: »
    I think your mind is already made up !

I know, that's why I'm asking about scrap dealers that give money for running, un-crashed cars (and also give an EOL certificate)

I really must learn to make a long story short :o

Just spoke to this* fella and he's collecting it from my house and giving me €80 for it. I still reckon it's worth a lot more although a lot of the breakers I spoke to in Dublin said they were worth very little for parts because there are more and more of them going into the scrap yards at this stage and less and less on the roads! Seems you were right about 'ten a penny' captainspeed ;)

Cheers,
    Brian

* Ad details (just in case it's removed):

All scrap/unwanted cars/vans/jeeps ect wanted
    Prices starting from 50Euros,
    So turn your unwanted cars into cash today,
    All areas covererd within 100miles of longford,

We pay for more for cars in bulk,
    PH:087 204 9466 or 085 137 8887,

Longford,Westmeath,Offaly,Kildare,Laois,Wicklow,Dublin,Meath,Louth,Cavan, Monaghan,Fermanagh,Roscommon,Mayo,Galway,Sligo

Advertisement