Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda bitten by HIV man.....Assault causing harm....Attempted murder more like

• 15-01-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭

Seriously....its getting worse and worse...

Garda bitten by HIV man in family row

A GARDA had to wait six months to find out if he had contracted HIV after he was bitten during a domestic disturbance, a court has heard.

Noel Winterlich (34) of Edgeworth Court, Enfield , Co Meath, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm on November 9, 2008 on Cork Street, Dublin.

Judge Carmel Stewart remanded him on continuing bail until sentencing in March.

Sergeant Michael Nagle told the court Winterlich broke the garda's skin and drew blood.

Winterlich suffers from hepatitis and HIV but the garda was given the all- clear six months after the incident.

Sgt Nagle said the victim had to take antiretroviral medication which had an adverse affect on his health. He was under severe stress while awaiting the results and suffered embarrassment because he had to get multiple tests in a clinic based in an area where he policed.

The incident occurred while Winterlich's young son was staying with him. The child's mother was concerned for her son's safety but when she went to pick him up Winterlich and the child were not there.

She called the gardai who arrived shortly before Winterlich returned with the boy. When he tried to go into the bedroom to confront her, gardai restrained him because they were concerned for the child's safety.

The court was told the defendant was a long-term drug addict.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-bitten-by-hiv-man-in-family-row-3353763.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Imagine the stress and worry for those six months of waiting to know the results. Nightmare story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Shocking thing to do at the best of times, I mean biting someone FFS!
    Not sure how it would be attemped murder but it certainly is animalistic behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Glad the Garda got the all-clear. Poor man havin to endure that 'not-knowing' for so many months. Scary thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It's an utterly horrendous thing to do.You can't fecking bite someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I misread the title as 'HMV' man. I need a break from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I thought it took 3 months for it to be detectable, not 6?

That's what they say in the STI clinics anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Shocking thing to do at the best of times, I mean biting someone FFS!
    Not sure how it would be attemped murder but it certainly is animalistic behaviour!

Well if he knowingly gave him HIV, which can lead to aids...maybe its doesn't meet the legal burden for murder..but surely a LOT more serious than assault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It's not just the biting, it's the biting knowing full well the risk he was posing doing it. Lowest of the low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

kraggy wrote: »

It's six months in my local STI place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Maybe it's just me, buy I think we have a special breed of absolute scum in this country. I've never been in another country where I felt somewhere was as dodgy as some parts of Dublin at night.

• Advertisement

That's horrible.. Two lads were caught in Hanoi last year for putting hiv infected syringes in random seats with a note saying "welcome to the club".

Anyone who tries to spread it like this lad biting the guard should be done for attempted murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Anyone know the odds of catching HIV from being bitten by someone who has it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus, what an animal. Can't imagine what that Garda went through waiting to find out the results.

Also, why do the tests take so long to come back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That's horrible.. Two lads were caught in Hanoi last year for putting hiv infected syringes in random seats with a note saying "welcome to the club".

That's an urban legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

UCDVet wrote: »

Negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Jesus, what an animal. Can't imagine what that Garda went through waiting to find out the results.

Also, why do the tests take so long to come back?

I think it's because it lays low in the cells. It may be detectable after 3 but 6 is the deffo all-clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Quite low unless the person biting has bleeding gums, cut in the mouth etc. Saliva does not carry the HIV virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's 3 months to be detectable, but probably could show up after 6 months, better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fortunately the chances of catching HIV from a bite is very slim. Saliva isn't a favourable environment for the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

very remote chance of HIV transmission a bigger concern would be HEP C transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Honestly, its time to start outsourcing this scum to the Far East or Northern Russia. Can you imagine the stress and grief that poor Garda had to endure.

Or as Chris Rock says put him in with the Tossed Salad Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I thought there was an injection you could take within a certain time from getting HIV the killed it before it does whatever it is that it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I thought there was an injection you could take within a certain time from getting HIV the killed it before it does whatever it is that it does

There are various options available, however, there is nothing available that will mean you have nothing to worry about. You still need to access treatment immediately, but it still means you have a long few months to see the final outcome.

I think with a bite you under go a programme of treatment and tests not necessarily just looking at HIV/AIDs but also TB,maybe tetanus and a few others
    so its not just a matter of an injection.
    There is no cure or vaccine for HIV only medication for treatment of it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    There are various options available, however, there is nothing available that will mean you have nothing to worry about. You still need to access treatment immediately, but it still means you have a long few months to see the final outcome.

Awwwww , you're always around when I'm trying to be intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Extremely slim - region of 1 in 10,000 as far as i'm aware.
    There was a story in the papers a while back where some judge requested the exact numbers due to all the claims going in from cops (not sure if it was in ireland or england, i'll try find a link)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

Calm down people. First of all that's a bit unfair of the article to say the Garda was embarrassed to go to the clinic. That's some awful attitude of the article's author to have towards a place that aims to help people!?

Second of all Dublin is not the dodgiest place in the world

Third of all the broken man in this story (the criminal) is already a liability. He hardly sounds like a stand up guy so he's not likely going to be thinking 'oh when I assault this Garda I better refrain from biting!'

Fourth of all HIV is not a death sentence. Granted it would be costly to the Garda and make his life very difficult (made even more difficult by people's attitudes in this thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mattjack wrote: »
    very remote chance of HIV transmission a bigger concern would be HEP C transmission.

A justified concern in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

mattjack wrote: »
    Awwwww , you're always around when I'm trying to be intelligent.

From what I seen your posts where spot on. I'm not that up on this area. I have not done any pre/post test work in over a year. Even then I focus on the psych side and leave the other stuff to the nurses and docs.

I generally aviod all that stuff about viral load etc.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

libnation wrote: »
    Calm down people. First of all that's a bit unfair of the article to say the Garda was embarrassed to go to the clinic. That's some awful attitude of the article's author to have towards a place that aims to help people!?

Second of all Dublin is not the dodgiest place in the world

Third of all the broken man in this story (the criminal) is already a liability. He hardly sounds like a stand up guy so he's not likely going to be thinking 'oh when I assault this Garda I better refrain from biting!'

Fourth of all HIV is not a death sentence. Granted it would be costly to the Garda and make his life very difficult (made even more difficult by people's attitudes in this thread).

I think what the garda's superior meant in testimony about him being embarrassed was in reference to being seen by fellow patients, not the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's called post exposure prophylaxis. It reduced the risk of contracting HIV

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

libnation wrote: »
    Second of all Dublin is not the dodgiest place in the world.

There's certainly some amount of scumbags roaming the streets for a first world country. Police in other European cities are a far more intimidating force, and take absolutely no ****. Cops in America wouldn't risk being bitten.

As for the Vietnam story, you can be damn.sure that the guys didn't escape with a petty assault conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A female Garda was stabbed with a syringe in a Drogheda pub a few weeks ago and has to wait 6 months for an AIDS test result. The person responsible is only going to be charged with assault too... mind boggling.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/woman-garda-stabbed-with-cattle-needle-in-bar-3339937.html

That's an urban legend.

There's an urban legend about something that happened in Vietnam a few months ago? It obviously doesn't say "Welcome to the Club".. It said "chuc mung, ban vua nhiem hiv".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Has there ever been a single recorded case of HIV transmission from a bite? I am sure the doctors informed the cop that the chances of contracting it this way were so slim as to be purely theorhetical, and that hepatitis was a bigger concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

The consequence for the action of biting someone should be severe to begin with.

Has there ever been a single recorded case of HIV transmission from a bite? I am sure the doctors informed the cop that the chances of contracting it this way were so slim as to be purely theorhetical, and that hepatitis was a bigger concern.

Its regarded as being biologically possible,but as you say yourself chances are so slim they could be only regarded as being theoretical.

I don't think there's ever been transmission through a bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

At least the accused won't require legal aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lunni

There's an urban legend about something that happened in Vietnam a few months ago? It obviously doesn't say "Welcome to the Club".. It said "chuc mung, ban vua nhiem hiv".

It's been an urban legend in every country for about the last 15 years. Perhaps sometimes it actually happens, but this one has been doing the rounds for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lunni

I think what the garda's superior meant in testimony about him being embarrassed was in reference to being seen by fellow patients, not the staff.

Same thing, though. There's such stigma around sexual health clinics in Ireland, as if the only people who go there inject drugs or have had unprotected sex with hundreds of partners. Plenty of people go because they've had a condom break, or because they want to stop using condoms with a new partner or, like the Garda, they've had a needle stick injury or some other contact with blood. They're full of normal people. Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's crazy that people would rather walk around not knowing what they have than go and get checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

There is a lack of prison space. Maybe it's time for our own guantanemo bay style prison for such people. A manditory few years in solitary confinement. Make it as cheap as possible... making it possible for instance, to put a person who murders someone in prison for 25-30 years. The first 10 years in solitary confinement with no visitors allowed etc.. Brain washing techniques and subliminal messages in music played throughout the cells to turn them into good citizens... too far? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

There is a lack of prison space. Maybe it's time for our own guantanemo bay style prison for such people. A manditory few years in solitary confinement. Make it as cheap as possible... making it possible for instance, to put a person who murders someone in prison for 25-30 years. The first 10 years in solitary confinement with no visitors allowed etc.. Brain washing techniques and subliminal messages in music played throughout the cells to turn them into good citizens... too far? :D

Turn the aran islands into some sort of penal colony like that film No Escape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Chain gangs to fix the potholes with a garda on horse back while branding an automatic machine gun? :D

how low will humanity sink ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lunni wrote: »

It's been an urban legend in every country for about the last 15 years. Perhaps sometimes it actually happens, but this one has been doing the rounds for years.

Ever hear the one about the girls holiday romance in Spain? When she's leaving she's given a present but told not to open it until she's on the plane. When she does it's Miniature coffin with a note inside it doing 'welcome to the club'.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Unless the biter had his own blood in his mouth no transmission of hep c or HIV could have occurred. Blood to blood contact is required.

Lunni wrote: »

Well if it's an urban legend, I feel sorry for the two lads who had their photos given to the papers for doing it.. Might be a hoax all the same but everyone was talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well if it's an urban legend, I feel sorry for the two lads who had their photos given to the papers for doing it.. Might be a hoax all the same but everyone was talking about it.

You got a link for the story in the papers? Cos all i could find were these.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/pinprick.asp

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/aidsmary.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/world_of_aids.htm

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/payphone.asp

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/gaspump.asp

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kelso-burn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imom922

A Firefighter i know was bitten on the arm while on Ambulance duty by a scumbag who was Hep/Hiv positive. The lad couldnt kiss his wife or kids untill he got the all clear, it went to court the scumbag was fined and warned about future behaviour. Well wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Unless the biter had his own blood in his mouth no transmission of hep c or HIV could have occurred. Blood to blood contact is required.

Do bleeding gums count?
    I would doubt that a drug addict would be over concerned with oral hygiene.

• Advertisement
Advertisement