Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Roxanne in the dark

• 16-01-2013 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Just watching the news there and the two women outside the Dail protesting against the proposal to criminalize the purchase of sex by the 'Turn off the red light' campaign.

http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie/news/

The campaign cite Sweden as a model as they brought in this law in 1999. Do you feel that it will just push prostitution further underground? Or maybe would it instill a new attitude in the the emerging generations on the purchase of sex?

The campaign recommends that..

The Government act by amending the 1993 Sexual Offences act to criminalise the purchase of sex whilst at the same time decriminalising those who sell sexual acts. We believe that following the Swedish model and introducing legislation to criminalise demand will act as a deterrent for people who buy sex.

We also recommend that the change in legislation would be complimented by enhanced and sustained support services for people in prostitution who wish to exit.

A diminished demand for purchase of sex, leading to a diminished trade would support An Garda Síochána in prioritising their limited resources to effectively target persistent criminality.
    My own worries about this would be that the enhanced support they are calling for would fall well wide of helping women who have turned to prostitution as a last resort, in the sense that maybe there will be more counseling available to women but that it won't pay the bills or in some cases fund a lifestyle.

I also don't believe that it will create a diminished demand for purchase of sex, at least not for the present generation from which there are those who are accustomed to the availability of sex in this manner. Though I do believe that it may positively affect the coming generations in regards to not having the availability of sex for purchase as a 'done thing'.

Also there would be the fear that it will push things further underground and most likely make things even more dangerous for these women.

How do you feel about this proposal? Maybe you might believe that we should be moving more towards the Dutch way and make sex for purchase available for those who wish, while at the same time keeping the women somewhat safer.

And especially looking at you Mods. How would you feel about having to snort your lines of coke off tables like everyone else at your get togethers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Totally not the right forum for a serious discussion on this matter.
    The campaign cite Sweden as a model as they brought in this law in 1999.

Ah Sweden, where you can only buy wine/spirit in government owned shops.

If you think the off license laws in Ireland are strict:
    They are generally open Monday - Friday from 10.00am to 18.00pm. On Saturday from 10.00am to 13.00pm. Closed on Sundays.

Considering their 'model' approach to alcohol, I wouldn't be in a hurry to adopt too many of their other policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My own genuine worries on this issue would be...err, none, mainly because I reckon it's up to the Sex-workers to demand what legislation they would like to see, and not a bunch of do-gooders or kerb crawlers. Sit them down and ask them, then give them the laws they want to protect themselves.

Leave out the moralising, do-gooding, fantasising, perfect worlding and hand wringing- We have Priests for that, supposedly. Or "had", hopefully. They probably need more of a break from people trying to "save" them than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I don't understand how a law works that criminalises one party and doesn't the other. Like it's cool to sell drugs but you can't buy them. Can't see that law standing up in the courts. I hope the government see this lobby group for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Criminalizing the oldest trade in the book ? Yeah good luck with that.

Vices between consenting adults should be contained, not outlawed.

Fcuking nuns and parochial knuckle draggers still dictating legislation. Thankfully they're numbers are diminishing to extinction. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

In my opinion there's no logical reason NOT to legalise prostitution.
    If it was legalised, regulated and closely monitored then it'd be much safer for everyone involved. It's a no brainer.
    No point in going into more detail here though as the thread has been done to death at this stage.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how a law works that criminalises one party and doesn't the other. Like it's cool to sell drugs but you can't buy them. Can't see that law standing up in the courts. I hope the government see this lobby group for what they are.
    It is cool to sell drugs, as long as you are a corporation. Any idea how many people here in Ireland are addicted to prescription painkillers? As in opiates? As in just as addicted, begging for them and willing to do anything for them as Anto down the boardwalk? Same with sex - the girls who work the streets will get hassled and arrested etc, the "high class" workers in luxury hotels and apartments/yachts will get 0 hassle. As per usual, it comes down to perception and money, and bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

But that is the problem as in the law is antiquated so it's illegal to buy it off the street but you can buy it over the phone or internet happily.
    I just don't see how women can waltz down the street wearing next to nothing offering to have sex with men and that's cool.
    But as soon as a guy gives in and says how much gone to prison.
    It should be legalised completely and regulated imo.

But that is the problem as in the law is antiquated so it's illegal to buy it off the street but you can buy it over the phone or internet happily.
    I just don't see how women can waltz down the street wearing next to nothing offering to have sex with men and that's cool.
    But as soon as a guy gives in and says how much gone to prison.
    It should be legalised completely and regulated imo.
    Have a goo at the age of consent for males v females if you want fair. Life is rarely fair, in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

There's something seriously wrong with the whole process if prostitutes have to protest on the street in order to get an invite to the hearings whilst women who have taken a vow of celibacy are allowed to pursue their agenda unchallenged within.

Advertisement