Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claris with 10 speed cassette question

• 24-09-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Against my better judgement I bought the wife a bike, it comes with Shimano Claris.

I have a turbo trainer she wants to use (problems starting already) with a 10 speed cassette. It has variable power resistance so she would never have to change gears. Is the 10 speed cassette on the trainer compatible with the shimano Claris chain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Claris is an 8 speed AFAIK so I presume the chain would be too wide for a 10 speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Sheldon Brown says
    using a chain one size narrower than standard rarely presents any problem. Thus, you can use a "9-speed" chain with a 7-speed or 8-speed system, or a "10-speed" chain with a 9-speed system. This is not the ideal approach -- shifting may not be quite as smooth -- but it's workable.
    Narrow chains bring other problems, though. They are usually more expensive and -- with 10 or more speeds -- don't last as long -- even when used in the intended system.

http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

As you're never actually shifting gears maybe it will work. I've no idea really! I'd give a try personally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

At the worst you could buy her a 10 speed chain?

Advertisement