Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Kickstand?

• 24-09-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice regarding kick stands, my current one a cheap oxford stand bought for about £5 just snapped (2nd time in months) now I have learned a lesson should of bought a dearer one in the first place. Looking online it's difficult to find any recommendations, I use my bike mostly for practical reasons and need to keep rack with heavy bag balanced.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm no kick stand expert, but I'd be wary about using one to prop the bike up with a kid in the carrier seat (have I interpreted your message correctly?).

Park at a wall or fence and start by angling the rear wheel/carrier close to the wall. Balance the handlebars against the wall to stop the bike rolling away, but do not use them to prop the bike up, any shift in weight will topple the bike if you do this.

If there is a problem, do not leave go of the child! Let the bike fall, it won't hold it against you.

Perhaps someone will suggest some make of two legged stand like on a bakfiets which would be strudy enough. I can't imagine a single leg stand would be adequate.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

check_six wrote: »
    I'm no kick stand expert, but I'd be wary about using one to prop the bike up with a kid in the carrier seat (have I interpreted your message correctly?).

Park at a wall or fence and start by angling the rear wheel/carrier close to the wall. Balance the handlebars against the wall to stop the bike rolling away, but do not use them to prop the bike up, any shift in weight will topple the bike if you do this.

If there is a problem, do not leave go of the child! Let the bike fall, it won't hold it against you.

Perhaps someone will suggest some make of two legged stand like on a bakfiets which would be strudy enough. I can't imagine a single leg stand would be adequate.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your post.

Sorry I got terms mixed up I meant to say that I've got a loaded rack with bag not a carrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The Rose Bikes site is always good for bits and bobs. I got a steering stabiliser spring from them before.
    They do heavy duty kickstands: http://www.rosebikes.com/article/hebie-632-centre-kickstand/aid:450608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

check_six wrote: »
    The Rose Bikes site is always good for bits and bobs. I got a steering stabiliser spring from them before.
    They do heavy duty kickstands: http://www.rosebikes.com/article/hebie-632-centre-kickstand/aid:450608

They don't seem to have on in carbon or ti tho

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Have a look at this - http://dutchbikeshop.ie/simson-ursus-king-kickstand/
    They sell Dutch bikes and assessories. I believe they frequently have a stand at Saturdays Marlay Park Market as well as online and bricks & mortar shop.

I have such a stand on my Dutch bike and would not be without it. It's ok with loads front and back. Double ones are available with are supposed to be more stable but might not fit all bike types. In addition it's possible to fit a steering stabiliser which is sprung to prevent front wheel turning when on the stand.

Good that kickstands are making a comeback, they are brilliant for parking and quick stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

doozerie recommended the Greenfield stabilizer rear mount kickstand to me, and I've found it very good. If you're on a slope, you need to point the front wheel uphill and turn the handlebars to the side of the bike opposite the stand. Works very well that way.

Advertisement