Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discounted 2014 Bikes

• 18-09-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Was told by the more senior members in the club that this was the best time of year to buy a new bike with the 2015 ranges being released.

Looking for carbon frame, full ultegra 11 speed groupset, sealed baring wheels.

Have put the word out with my local bike shop and have been stopping off at any I drive searching for that bargain.

Dropped into an agent for specialized that offered me the Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport 105 2014 (with 105/tiagra mix) for 1800e down from 2000. Basically 10% discount for end of range, specialized have their 2015 range released.

Understand that specialized have a superior quality frame but think I would prefer something like the Giant TCR composite 1 with full ultegra for that price. But 'm told Giant or Focus have not brought out their 2015 range yet.

Is 10% discount typical for a end of range bike?

I was surprised, I had been expecting 20%.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

giant have released details on the 2015 range alright, don't know if they are available yet, it's the wholesalers that give the real discounts as they want the retailers to shift old stock to take in new especially coming into Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

was a Willier (cant remember the model but defo not an entry level) in the bike shop in Howth at the weekend for €850 down from €1400. Was 2014 lightly used 2nd hand that looked like it hadnt left the shop before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Tibulus

Has anyone bought a previous season bike? What is the typical percentage discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The 2015 Cube Agree Race is 1599 new. Full carbon, full Ultegra, not 100% sure on your wheel requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The best discounts are on the high end bikes - 6 grand for a ten grand bike, or 3 grand for a 5 grand bike.

That kind of thing. If you're shopping at that level then there are fantastic "bargains".

At the lower end (relatively speaking) the discounts tend to less headline grabbing. They're not going to give away 2014 bikes just cos the 2015 one now comes in blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My LBS had a Focus Izalco Pro (full 11spd Dura Ace groupset) down from €4500 to 2500 a week ago. Not sure if it sold it not but it was a sweet looking bike. Pro tour spec and less than UCI minimum weight without pedals, bottle cages etc etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can get some great value online in the next few weeks but the chances are that they will run out of the common sizes quite quickly. I got my last bike with a 25% discount this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Very hard to get decent discounts on bikes in Ireland thanks to B2W demand. They think giving a 10% discount on a past season bike is giving you a great deal. In the UK, you will often see up to 50% on some models.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Kinet1c wrote: »
    The 2015 Cube Agree Race is 1599 new. Full carbon, full Ultegra, not 100% sure on your wheel requirement.

Where's this bike going for 1600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

detones wrote: »
    Where's this bike going for 1600?

Wherever is a Cube stockist, I'll be getting my Cube bike from Fitzcycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Tibulus wrote: »
    Was told by the more senior members in the club that this was the best time of year to buy a new bike with the 2015 ranges being released.

Looking for carbon frame, full ultegra 11 speed groupset, sealed baring wheels.

Have put the word out with my local bike shop and have been stopping off at any I drive searching for that bargain.

Dropped into an agent for specialized that offered me the Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport 105 2014 (with 105/tiagra mix) for 1800e down from 2000. Basically 10% discount for end of range, specialized have their 2015 range released.

Understand that specialized have a superior quality frame but think I would prefer something like the Giant TCR composite 1 with full ultegra for that price. But 'm told Giant or Focus have not brought out their 2015 range yet.

Is 10% discount typical for a end of range bike?

I was surprised, I had been expecting 20%.

Base2Race Have a Giant TCR Advanced 1 with 20% off

http://base2race.ie/collections/road-bike/products/giant-tcr-advanced-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Online is definitely your best bet I'd say. A lot of sites will mark down previous years' models and there are often discount codes that can be applied on top of that as well. I managed to pick up a bike with a carbon frame, Ultegra groupset at the end of last year from probikekit.co.uk at nearly 50% off the original price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Can you recommend a decent online store for such

These are still eligible for B2W as they are in EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Keep an eye on all the usual suspects, ChainReactionCycles, Wiggle, Ribble, Merlin, ProBikeKit, Rutland Cycling, Winstanleys.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Can you recommend a decent online store for such

These are still eligible for B2W as they are in EU?

Know that ChainReactionCycles do the Irish B2W, they are based in Belfast.

I asked PlanetX UK and know they are not.

I understand that the company needs an Irish VAT number to do the Irish B2W so not sure if Wiggle of any other of the UK companies do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I understand that the company needs an Irish VAT number to do the Irish B2W so not sure if Wiggle of any other of the UK companies do it.

As far as I could find it was on CRC and Wiggle.
    I could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No one technically "does it". It is not like the UK one. If they can provide an invoice then your company can use the scheme. If your company is a little lax, you can provide them with a link, and they could buy for you that way.

If the online shop does not use Irish VAT, then your company should pay this and pass the bill onto you. One guy in work has used Planet X in the UK when they had a ridiculously priced bike. He rang planet X and got them to forward on the price of the bike, then got the company card and rang them back.

Taken from an old post of Beastys

"If the employer is registered for VAT in Ireland and the bike is bought from a UK retailer that is not registered for VAT in Ireland (which is almost always the case, the main exception being Wiggle), the employer should provide the retailer with its Irish VAT number. The retailer should then not charge any VAT. However the employer should then self-account for Irish VAT at 21.5%, and is unable to recover it. If the employer does not provide it's Irish VAT number, as Lumen points out, you end up paying both UK VAT (on the initial purchase) and Irish VAT (under the self-accounting system) - not good news!"

Some shops might just say no to this as it might cause minor annoyance for their accounting/payment system.

mathie wrote: »
    As far as I could find it was on CRC and Wiggle.
    I could be wrong though.

Just got an email from Slane cycles in Belfast and they do the Irish C2W scheme.

Was watching the the following 2014 bike, waiting for a discount when the 2015 range comes out:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.tcr.composite.1/14971/66532/#specifications

Just called to a Giant retailer today and he told me to stick with the new 2015 range:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.1/20119/79353/#specifications

2000e Vs 1800e: on the list price (would get discount with 2014 bike)
    composite Vs advanced: Understand that the advanced is a much better grade of carbon
    Both 22 speed
    The 2015 bike has 105 cassette and chain otherwise both all Ultegra
    Two different wheel types but both are sealed barings,
    Unable to compare wheels after that. Open to advice.

Bikes are getting cheaper?

Anybody able to comment on the wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Here's a CAAD 10 with Ultegra di2 for €2300

Paul's Cycles

That's what I'd go with if I was after a rothar nua.

Westbrook Cycles usually good for big discounts too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Was watching the the following 2014 bike, waiting for a discount when the 2015 range comes out:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.tcr.composite.1/14971/66532/#specifications

Just called to a Giant retailer today and he told me to stick with the new 2015 range:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.1/20119/79353/#specifications

2000e Vs 1800e: on the list price (would get discount with 2014 bike)
    composite Vs advanced: Understand that the advanced is a much better grade of carbon
    Both 22 speed
    The 2015 bike has 105 cassette and chain otherwise both all Ultegra
    Two different wheel types but both are sealed barings,
    Unable to compare wheels after that. Open to advice.

Bikes are getting cheaper?

Anybody able to comment on the wheels?

I was in the same both in relation to deciding between the two. I went for the 2015 model. I don't know much about the wheels but I'm going to upgrade these so wheels did not bother me. Thought the 2015 looked a lot slicker with internal cable routing compared to the 2014 with none. Giant store in cork had the 2014 model for 1600

eoz wrote: »
    I was in the same both in relation to deciding between the two. I went for the 2015 model. I don't know much about the wheels but I'm going to upgrade these so wheels did not bother me. Thought the 2015 looked a lot slicker with internal cable routing compared to the 2014 with none. Giant store in cork had the 2014 model for 1600

Are you planning on upgrading the wheels straight away or in time?

What are you thinking of?

Do wheels have much effect on your times?

Do you plan to train with the existing wheels and race with the upgrade wheels?

Apoligies for the rapid fire question round!

Advertisement