Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage Cycle - Laochra na Laoise II - Sunday September 14th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1) I don't have a pre 1987 bike, I have a 1989 Pug with modern components. Will my bike and I be welcome?
    Assuming the answer to Q.1 is positive,
    2) Is there parking available at the Start/Finish?
    3) Realistically, how many cyclists are you expecting?
    4) What average speed do you anticipate?
    5) I am in my mid 60's, weigh about 88Kgs and am quite fit. I did the W200 this year. I was reasonably comfortable on the steepest climbs. Will I be able for all the climbs on this spin?
    6) Can you give me directions, from Dublin direction?

Thanks.
    E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Fate might give us good weather but it's giving me a kickin! Staving off a chest infection - it might slow me down but it won't stop me.

DBC and I were obviously thinking of crushing some grapes and fermenting some cheese (if that's what you do with it!) but a well placed shop at 60kms has stood in the way!

Eamonn, both you and bike welcome and will be joining another 20 or so I guess. The pace will be 18mph I guess, but no doubt you'll put us to shame. The mid-way food hall is easy to find, can be seen from the M7 when you take the exit at Junction 17 heading for Port Laoise and it has plenty of parking.

Some have mooted a vintage parts jumble. Could we try it in a small informal way, perhaps people might suggest what they need?

Deadon, eventually one of the pics of your two rebuilds, with another on the way I think?

14996040538_8b90b06a78_o.jpg

Best wishes, Brendan

Sarge 10 also sent me these of his 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix rebuild:

14995941430_26124a2837_z.jpg

14996018528_4629d20510_z.jpg

Thank you. See you on Sunday.
    Looking forward to the spin.
    E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

My box of parts and frame are not getting along too well. Some of the parts are more suited to an older frame, so I'm raiding the parts bin and will try a build with Dura Ace. Hope the mix doesn't offend as it won't be period correct.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Hi Brendan, thanks for posting the photo for me. I hope the chest gets better by Sunday. Weather looks like it's gonna hold fine for a change. I took the Lenton out for a 50K tryout on Saturday so any bolts that were going to work loose would do it before Laochra. Lost a toeclip bolt and one of the cotterpins on the crank was a bit worn so that loosened and had to be replaced with a new one later Everything else worked as it should. It's going to be an effort to haul it over the hills!

If anyone is looking for any parts for 50's - 70's bikes I have a few bits lying around. Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular and I'll bring on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I've done up a map of the route and my and Brendan's contact numbers that you can print off. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your email address, and I'll send it onto you.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    6) Can you give me directions, from Dublin direction?

The start and finish is at the midway services on the M7 (http://www.midwaym7.com/). From Dublin, just get onto the M7, come off at junction 17 and then turn right at the roundabout at the top of the sliproad. The food court is on the left after 200m. There's plenty of parking.

We're meeting for breakfast / coffee at 9am with rollout somewhere between 9:30am and 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Tks Brendan for posting the carlton ,hope it lasts the trip ,although my mates peddling that one , I'm on a more modern 80s stead ...some fine looking machines heading down ,looking forward to seeing them in the flesh and great to see the interest building ,don't know about wine and cheese but if weather stays like this I'll be having a wibbely wobbely wonder at the 60 k mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

This is my plan

Transport to Portlaoise. Taking the train to Portarlington and biking the last 12 miles.. IE want €22.56 for the 12miles ... What a ripoff....

Hotel - Maldron Portlaoise - Come and get me up if I'm not there in the morning !!

The only thing I have which is not era specific is my helmet....

This run will be class and I just cant wait..... !

Forecast for Sunday from http://www.met.ie:

"Sunday: Still dry and bright for Sunday with good sunny spells, but the easterly breeze will be that bit fresher in places. Top temperatures 15 to 17 C., along exposed coasts, but 17 to 20 C., elsewhere – best in western areas."

Tl;Dr - Bring era specific sunscreen!

Panasonic build has ground to a halt. Ran into more issues this morning so rather than cobbling something together just for the weekend,I'm putting it aside for now. I'll be running the Road Ace instead. Brendan will be happy.:)

Brendan will be jealous!

9294048447_5a3316b912_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭The Ging and I

I hope to join in the latter part of the ride on a 32year old that I have from new.
    I will be bringing some 80s stuff to sell if anyone interested at the end.
    Various cinelli bars, several types of brooks saddles, leather saddle bag, plastic mudguards and misc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

hey guys
    at the moment Im planning on coming after doing the Rebel Tour but I havent gotten my steel bike fixed up yet. Ill have a retro SKIL jersey from 1984 and enter in with the banter, as well as maybe I could take a few snaps up wolf trap

• Advertisement

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I've done up a map of the route and my and Brendan's contact numbers that you can print off. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your email address, and I'll send it onto you.

A proper old school OS map - You judge the climb by the closeness of the contours. This brings me back to my navigation rally days .. 1/2" to 1 mile maps. That makes more sense to me than that awful strava/google maps malarky...!

Thanks a million Daithi.. It feels like 1982...!

Do you lads need me to print off a ball load in colour..? I'll gladly do them and bring them to the start !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yarisbob wrote: »
    A proper old school OS map - You judge the climb by the closeness of the contours. This brings me back to my navigation rally days .. 1/2" to 1 mile maps. That makes more sense to me than that awful strava/google maps malarky...!

If you did want to get an electronic map that makes sense, try the opencyclemap. That includes contours and proper stuff like that and can be downloaded to many gps devices...

Do you lads need me to print off a ball load in colour..? I'll gladly do them and bring them to the start !

If you had access to a printer and were willing to print off up to 30 of them, that would be great.

Daithi BC wrote: »
    If you had access to a printer and were willing to print off up to 30 of them, that would be great.

30 in A4 coming right up.. Its the least I can do seeing as there is no entry fee and you and Brendan have put a good deal of work in..!

Ill have them on the morning !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I thought this ride was a good idea until I took out the old bike for a dust down. First thing, I was out of the saddle on the slightest incline - no 34/27! Then I stopped for a chat with a neighbour and fell sideways onto the road as twisting didn't get the cleats out.
    Still, I might chance it, but everybody had better give me plenty of space as the brakes take a while to work as well.
    And I can't find a pair of white socks....

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you did want to get an electronic map that makes sense, try the opencyclemap. That includes contours and proper stuff like that and can be downloaded to many gps devices...

Hey 'comon - surely nothing 'digital' allowed!

The aim on Sunday is for everyone to get around together, but in case it splits up, I've done a bit of road marking for the first 30km of the route where there are a few turns that could be missed. If you're in doubt at a junction, there are green arrows on the road (I was running out of paint, so they're not very big).

A few observations on the first 30km:

- When we get to Timahoe after 11.5km, it's the *second* left turn (signposted Luggacurren).

- Continue on until a T junction, then turn right.

- There's a small hill with a graveyard on the left after 17km. The road goes down after this, but take it easy, because we're turning sharp right after about 200m of descent.

- After 19km, in Luggacurren, turn right at the RC church. Be prepared to be in the small ring 500m later.

- When you see a pylon on top of a hill ahead of you, you'll be turning right at a crossroads shortly.

- After this turn, continue up, then down to the next crossroads (after 22km), and take a right (signposted Timahoe).

- At the bottom of the hill, we're back in Timahoe again. We'll regroup here for part 2 of the route and the Mur de Pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jitterbug1974

Hello Brendan/Daithi BC: First off, congratulations on running this event for the second year, looks like the numbers will be up on 2013 and the weather is looking good so happy days...........
    There’s two of us travelling up from Waterford; I'm riding a 1980/81 Saronni Red Colnago Mexico/Super and my buddy is using my 1987 Peugeot Triathlon.
    Hopefully see you all for breakfast around 9am!

Barry

Hi all,

Great to hear more people are coming, and I've had a few contacts off-line also. There'll be a fantastic collection of bikes and gear and we really seem to be building up interest. Fair play to Yarisbob we're even contributing to the local economy. Yaris do you think you could add DBC's additional details on the back of those maps? If not no worries as I reckon the graveyard will call to all of us!

'Skil', some snaps would be great as a lot of those who can't make it are looking for some.

Good news for me is I've found a 20tooth freewheel, I thought it would be impossible, but there was one in a little box courtesy of the Bike Shed in Cork. It's a Bayliss Wiley - they went out of business in the 60's!

HiHo, never mind the socks, what about the shoes? I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia. Any out there? I know some people are bringing gear for sale & swap.

Just to add Dáithí has put most of the work for this spin - thanks a mill DBC.

15191492906_d1d5f68687_z.jpg

I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia.

I have a pair that might fit you that you could borrow. I'm a 10 1/2 and they're slightly too small for me. I'll bring them along on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ardcat

If anyone has a hairnet size 58/59/60 Cinelli or Brancale that they would be willing to sell could they bring it along on Sunday. Looking for one for L'Eroica.

There'll be a few of us oldvelos travelling from Kildare on Sunday. Myself on the pink 87 Nuovo Mexico and Niall on the Pinarello Prestige definitely and a few others may join us dependent on bikes being ready.

Thanks to Daithi for putting this ride together.

Terry

ardcat wrote: »
    If anyone has a hairnet size 58/59/60 Cinelli or Brancale that they would be willing to sell could they bring it along on Sunday. Looking for one for L'Eroica.

If you don't find one beforehand, there's a good chance you'll get one in Gaiole on the Friday or Saturday before L'Eroica.

Hi all,

Great to hear more people are coming, and I've had a few contacts off-line also. There'll be a fantastic collection of bikes and gear and we really seem to be building up interest. Fair play to Yarisbob we're even contributing to the local economy. Yaris do you think you could add DBC's additional details on the back of those maps? If not no worries as I reckon the graveyard will call to all of us!

'Skil', some snaps would be great as a lot of those who can't make it are looking for some.

Good news for me is I've found a 20tooth freewheel, I thought it would be impossible, but there was one in a little box courtesy of the Bike Shed in Cork. It's a Bayliss Wiley - they went out of business in the 60's!

HiHo, never mind the socks, what about the shoes? I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia. Any out there? I know some people are bringing gear for sale & swap.
    I have the real deal but they are a taught eight. I'm wearing leather Sidi touring shoes a I don't trust myself with the cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bjorn Turun

I am travelling from Dublin city center on Sunday if anyone needs a lift

Not to trump Bjorn but I have a brother in law coming from Uganda! However he's 6'5" so I wonder does anyone have a working 24.5" bike (new or old), or a very long 27mm or 24mm seat-post which I could borrow for the day?

Cheers, Bren

• Advertisement

I'm travelling down from Drogheda, on Sunday morning.
    If anybody wants a lift, I will have room for one body and one bike.

Damn,

Take a look at the 20tooth Bayliss Wiley again and you'll realise that it takes some horse of a chain (even bigger than the usual 1/8). As well as checking the kids bikes in the morning does anyone have a 20tooth freewheel or similar?

Cheers, Bren

Hi all,

Is there anyone coming from South Dublin / Dun Laoghaire who could pick up a part from me from the Bike Rack on Johnstown Rd?

Please PM me,

Brendan

Eamonnator wrote: »

Given what we rode through last year, I'm very relieved that tomorrow looks good. It's glorious here today. Tomorrow sounds a bit cooler, but maybe no harm for wearing wool.

Hi all,

Is there anyone coming from South Dublin / Dun Laoghaire who could pick up a part from me from the Bike Rack on Johnstown Rd?

Please PM me,

Brendan

Did you get sorted? Probably too late now but I only just saw your post. Out on the bike all day.

Taxman,

Lost your number when child no. 1 dropped phone on ground! It might still be possible if you're around that neck of the woods. I'll PM my number,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

hey guys my lift fell through :( have a great time tomorrow!

Tks Brendan and Daithi for today's spin , it was great to see so many wonderful vintage bikes,and listen to the story's around the dinner table, sorry we did not stay for the full trip,time was against us (or the legs) will definetly be back again next year .Brendan have a great trip in Italy ,look forward to meeting up for next one ...regards Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Well done Brendan and Daithi, another great well organised spin (and great weather - Hallelujah). Great too see all the bikes and meet new and old friends again. The cafe was a little gem of a find for the food stop. I'll definately go in there again next time I go through Abbeyleix! Good luck to all who are going to L'Eroica and hope to see all again soon. Paul

Thank you Brendan and Daithi for a great day.
    There were some beautiful bikes on show.
    Route was great, weather was lovely, company was marvellous.
    As already mentioned food stop was great.
    I even enjoyed the climbs.
    All in all a wonderful day.
    Looking forward to next year.

Hi all,

Not long back in Cork and reflecting on another enjoyable vintage spin. 20 of us set out and I'm sure someone will post the pic of the amazing Raleigh Panasonic van that accompanied the Tax Man - a nice touch there, but that's not to forget Kerry Ger's 1979 Ford Transit. As it turned out 1979 turned out to be a vintage year, but more of that later. Riders got togged out, scan for your favourite jersey here, and note the woolly jerseys and even the moth holes!

15239734862_075e7c66ca_z.jpg

Dáithí once again came up with a great route, and Conor came up with the excellent OS maps, both testify that Laoise is not flat, certainly not! If anyone is thinking of touring take a look at the route, but not even we managed the Wolf trap, so that animal still prowls. The 2 black dogs that prowl the 'Mur' were out in force, but no bites were taken of dog or man. In fact they could of been happily put to work down the road where 2 black sheep stalled the peleton. A protest by local farmers alá e Tour, hardly? But one man and his Pinarello shot into action and shepherded them to safety.

Our own flock needed a little tending on some testing hills, especially when Barry snapped his chain. Thankfully both man and bike remained intact, Sarge 10 came to the rescue and sacrificed his once pristeen white handlebar tape. Meantime I've heard there's a Colnago for sale in the Deise.

After all our adventures the peleton fractured and eventually regrouped in Abbeyleix. The god of time was pressing for some riders and so a few sadly departed. At which point we copped a lovely restaurant that deserve special mention if I could remember their name: the Gallic I think? Greatly priced food, a lovely welcome, and special dispensation to take our bikes through to the courtyard. Great stories were shared too, Junior tour stage wins remembered and some first veteran revelations. At which point when the chat turned to the Rás, we discovered we had 2 bikes from the 1979 event. A Benotto belonging to Kerry Ger which he rode in the Rás that year, and a TI Raleigh which once belonged to a lad called Roche, showed great promise at the time I believe.

15053401719_94ac2df984_z.jpg

After grub a few more slipped off, and eight of us took a review of the map and DBC's local knowledge came in handy. Eight became four a little later and DBC's orienteering and mountain riding skills again came to the fore. While the wolftrap remains a mysterious unknown, that's not what can be said about 'the cut'. Laoise not only has hill, it has hairpins. Yours truly went off the back in a vein effort to remain true to the goal of riding 48x20 for the day, the other sensible 3 made lightwork of the climb and descent. I was left gasping for a Coke!

Less of the cycling and back to the Bikes: Benotto x 2, Colange x 2, Ti Raleigh x 2, Raleighs Lenton and Roadace, a share of Peugeots, Holdsworth, Sun, Carlton, Harry Hall, Pinarello and Gianna Motta. Others? Photos?

So well done all, sorry to those of you who couldn't make it with the promise of another event in 2015,

Thanks all, Brendan

Big thanks to Brendan and Daithi for orginising today. Nice to put some faces to names and to see some lovely old steel. Apologies for bailing at Mountrath but the body was starting to feel the previous days efforts.
    Best of luck to anyone heading to L'Eroica.

A big thanks to Brendan and Daithi for organising such a great day yesterday. Great to see so many nice bikes being ridden (as they should be!!!!) around such beautiful countryside in the company of such a friendly and welcoming bunch of people.
    Thanks to Paul (Sarge10), Declan (Deadon) and the others for the help on the ‘Mur’- the Colnago (aka ‘the Italian Stallion’) is staying in the Deise for a while longer........
    I’ve mailed some photos onto Brendan this morning so hopefully we’ll see them soon.
    There was some talk yesterday of maybe running a few events like this during the year in other locations or indeed the starting up of a vintage club. I for one would be interested in both and would be willing to lend a hand.
    Best of luck to all those doing L’Eroica and ride safe everyone.
    Talk Soon
    Barry

A big thanks to Brendan and Daithi for organising a great day yesterday. Great to see so many nice bikes being ridden (as they should be!!!!) around beautiful countryside in the company of such a friendly and welcoming bunch of people.
    Thanks to Paul (Sarge10), Declan (Deadon) and the others for the help on the ‘Mur’- the Colnago (aka ‘the Italian Stallion’) is staying in the Deise for a while longer........
    I’ve mailed some photos onto Brendan this morning so hopefully we’ll see them soon.
    There was some talk yesterday of maybe running a few events like this during the year in other locations or indeed the starting up of a vintage club. I for one would be interested in both and would be willing to lend a hand.
    Best of luck to all those doing L’Eroica and ride safe everyone.
    Talk Soon
    Barry

• Advertisement

Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed the day yesterday. It was lovely to be out on roads I know well surrounded by classy bikes and in good weather. Great to meet people and put more names to faces as well.

The cafe in Abbeyleix is the Gallic Kitchen. Well worth a stop and great service for 14 of us yesterday.

I think it would be fantastic to have a few small vintage events for next year. The Sean Kelly 100k route around Dungarvan was mentioned as a possibility. LnL III will be back on September 13th 2015. Hold the date!

15229219736_d0c30a56c5.jpg

Sarge10's 1958 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix; check out the rod lever and guess the chainring teeth

15065528140_c0486c238d.jpg

The 1979 Rás Benotto - not one change except for the cyclometer

15252238315_f3977d1d43_b.jpg

The two 1979 Rás bikes, one Rás rider, and one very old jersey!

What a brilliant day.. In fact the best day cycling Ive had in a long time. Great bunch of genuine enthusiasts.

It was a proper spin with no-body left behind and the craic was mighty. Unfortunately sportives now are basically races where the willy wavers with their carbons/Di2/spinergy are too interested in their Garmins to carry out a conversation with thier fellow cyclist. Too much BS in a modern day spin. All these twats are not cyclists in my poinion.

You are all genuine cyclists and greatt carachters where its all about nice scenery, quiet roads (apart from Flossy and Wooly !) , good pace and everybody enjoying the spin.

No hills in Galway I tell you.. Its pure mirror flat.. Real roads in Laois.

I think I clipped a stone on the way to the train and bulged the back tubular. I then got a blowout between Portarlington and Portlaoise. I had 2 spares but no glue but fare play to Brendan who gave me the tape to get them stuck right... !

A big thanks to the tax man who made sure I got back to the Mid-way. I was in an absolute heap but tax man set a nice pace and I was able to draft off him. BTW your Road-Ace is stunning...!

Time aws against me as well unfortunately but next time I'm taking a day each side so there will be no excuses..

Thanks a Million Brendan and Daithi for a great time and a really well organised and put together run.. Its brilliant to have contacts now with you all !

We will deffo have to meet up again sooner rather than later. I will deffo put sommit together in Galway Mar - Apr perhaps...?

We will deffo have to meet up again sooner rather than later. I will deffo put sommit together in Galway Mar - Apr perhaps...?

That would be great - I think it would be lovely to have a calendar of these spins throughout the year and spread throughout the country.

If anyone's interested, this is the "medium" route that we ended up taking. It's over the Cut from the Mountrath side, and worked out at 110km: http://www.strava.com/activities/194899680

As a final postscript, if anyone is looking for a Raleigh Sun GT10 restoration project, my mate is selling the one he was on on Sunday. Let me know if you're interested.

Great enthusiasm from the cycle ,and seems to be a lot of interest in more spins,loving yarisbobs mirror flat Galway roads ,cycled some of those pan flat roads in cliften ....I for one would definitely be up for a couple or three a year ,if there's one on for Galway nxt spring were in ...😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement