Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gorey 3 Day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Robin Seymour won the TT this morning.

I might be wrong but I think he was only second but took the overall lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sorry, C3PO, my correction coincided with your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Got very ropey with the rain halfway through today, lumpy windy and slippy! No chance of breaks staying away with the wind, I made it home with the bunch, Seymour still in yellow (edit: he isn't, apologies) think a Lucan lad got up in the sprint, few crashes, a young Kanturk lad looked and sounded in a world of pain after a spill.

Edit: wasn't a bunch sprint, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Shane Baker didn't finish the stage. Ciaran Kelly did a monster time in the TT considering the brutal headwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

Seymour still in yellow, think a Lucan lad got up in the sprint,

Really .. the "Bush Telegraph" was saying that someone from Lucan had taken the lead? Delighted for Robin if it's correct!

C3PO wrote: »
    Really .. the "Bush Telegraph" was saying that someone from Lucan had taken the lead? Delighted for Robin if it's correct!

Unless there was someone up the road but thought we were altogether, Lucan guy raised his arms at the finish line and Seymour was there within the last km anyway, a decent bunch finished together, I didn't hang around and check results though but that's what I thought happened

Shane Baker didn't finish the stage. Ciaran Kelly did a monster time in the TT considering the brutal headwind.

Great time and total domination, wind was brutal!

That was GC after TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

darragh zaiban won lads.

• Advertisement

darragh zaiban won lads.

The sprint or was he up the road? I saw Lucan lads celebrate straight after also so assumed they had won, I was probably hallucinating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

The sprint or was he up the road? I saw Lucan lads celebrate straight after also so assumed they had won, I was probably hallucinating :)

according to orwell wheelers twitter earlier zabian and marc reilly were up the road with another two just behind them.

Well that explains the Lucan celebrating so, thanks, apologies on the misreporting, I left the finish straight away as it was freezing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Reilly is 19secs up on GC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Coldest I've ever been on a bike today, well done everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

What was the temperature or was it the wind and rain that made it so cold? Typical Irish weather I guess. How did you get on J Madone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Wind rain and hailstones. Brrrrrr. Very cold indeed. Today is to be warmer.

What was the temperature or was it the wind and rain that made it so cold? Typical Irish weather I guess. How did you get on J Madone?

wind and rain made it freezing, heart rate low due to cold made it worse,
    Top 20 on gc and being minded by those very nice swords lads!

Number 11 won the stage. It was close.

40.7kmph today, Lucan shut down everything and kept the pace high throughout, class day out for racing though!

GC at start of final stage attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

40.7kmph today, Lucan shut down everything and kept the pace high throughout

Well done to the team!

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Well done to the team!

I'm the other non Lucan Duffy! :)

Well done LCRC. Shows what good preparation and hard work can achieve. Some year for us already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great result for Robin Seymour in 2nd on GC and Mark McGauley 9th..

Amazing what two hairy legged mountain bikers with mountain bike shoes and pedals can do! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Amazing what two hairy legged mountain bikers with mountain bike shoes and pedals can do! :)

I saw Mark McGauley at the Stamullen GP the other week and I am pretty sure he didn't have MTB pedals on his bike ;)

Inquitus wrote: »
    I saw Mark McGauley at the Stamullen GP the other week and I am pretty sure he didn't have MTB pedals on his bike ;)

Ahh sure next they will have been riding their mountain bikes as well :D

Well... not Mark, certainly Robin Seymour and the rest of his team...;)

Ahh sure next they will have been riding their mountain bikes as well :D

Nope, but close, one of the team was on a Cyclo-Cross bike... :D

J Madone wrote: »
    removed at J Madone's request

I know that lad. Pride is badly dent after it!!!!

removed at J Madone's request

Leaning on another rider? :confused:

As for the question "How many points do you have?" surely you jest?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

Yeah I've got road pedals there lighter :p. cracking weekends racing felt epic at times especially stage 3 in the wind/rain and cold , tt was miserable into the wind! Overall winner Mark Reilly was class

• Advertisement

Leaning on another rider? :confused:

As for the question "How many points do you have?" surely you jest?

He ended up bar to bar and shoulder to shoulder with another rider in the middle of the bunch, when told to get off he was more interested in denying who had caused the situation and looked down his nose at the other guy by asking how many points they had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Legends! on and off mountain. Few other MTBs in the first page of results!

To finish first, first you must finish. It follows that to finish last one must also finish. I can now add the Gorey 3 Day Lantern Rouge to my palmares.

Lots of suffering. Cant wait till next year.

Lawdie wrote: »
    Legends! on and off mountain. Few other MTBs in the first page of results!

Yes Indeed, we had a National XC Masters cat champion in the mix along with some MTB Senior 1 riders also high up on GC..

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Great weekend's racing. Pity about the first day but they made the right decision to give the breakaway whatever time they had at that point. Looked around me when we were pulled up and there was a lot less than 180 riders there... plenty of lads caught a lucky break!

Day three was fine but day two was one of the toughest I've endured on the bike. Legs felt heavy from the gun and as soon as they started to improve the race went nuts on a crazy-hard, lined-out third lap. Spent the day yo-yoing through the group; flirted with the rear door once or twice but managed to hold on. Thankfully the final lap wasn't as bad and I finished in the bunch.

Three bunch finishes and a mediocre time trial in all. It's a strongman's parcours and I learned a lot over the weekend. In such a huge bunch positioning is so important and it's definitely not a strong suit of mine; too much of a tendency to drift back and have to then expend energy moving forward each time. And I've to learn to time trial!

All in all a very well run race. Chapeau to everyone involved. The marshalling was superb. Great garda and motorbike presence. Almost every car we passed was stationary and pulled right into the ditch.

Finally, a massive thank you to the Waterford Racing Club lads and their director sportif. I was staying in the same place as them and as well as being all round great craic, they lent me a wheel after I realised I'd lost a spoke on the morning of the last stage. And thanks of course to buffalo for lending me his areohelmet for the TT. While it didn't speed me to the top 10 I'm sure it was worth a few places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

lennymc wrote: »
    To finish first, first you must finish. It follows that to finish last one must also finish. I can now add the Gorey 3 Day Lantern Rouge to my palmares.

71 others didn't manage to finish so chapeau to you Lenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well done.
    There were a serious number of non finishers.
    Onwards and upwards.
    To infinity and beyond.

Well done Lenny
    From sunburn to hypothermia_ you will look back fondly on your first Gorey.
    A lot of guys packed, tough race

Did you get a pot for Lantern Rouge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Aodho

Was that you arriving in with 2 slaney or maybe naas lads (similar jersey) y'day? I'd say ye boys had a tough day, ye all looked fairly flogged!

• Advertisement

Did you get a pot for Lantern Rouge?

dont think so.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. It can only make me stronger!

@Aodho - yeah - that was us. I was finishing even if I had to crawl on my hands and knees.

yeah - that was us. I was finishing even if I had to crawl on my hands and knees.

Fair play Lenny, at least you had some company to share the load

I was talking to 1 of the Naas lads after in Tallaght, they were hosting a German team (who won last stage sprint actually), he was telling me they were pretty annoyed because one of the <snip> guys spat in 1 of the Germans faces in a break the day before because he wouldnt work. But the German guy was just marking the move as they had a rider in the top 5 or 10 at the time. Only for a moto marshal spotted it and called up the commissaire it would've gone unpunished, but then the guy threw his water bottle over the German in anger to add further insult. I think the rider was only given a warning but his team told him not to start the next day, but I would have thought that would be a disqualification straight away.
    Anyway thats pretty bad form, especially towards a guest rider. Disgusting actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Adho, if that happened its pretty disgusting and not something you want to broadcast to foreign soil. I had words with a rider from a club that had 15+ members in the race, wont be forgotten!

Great race and thanks to usher!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Unfortunately the spitting incident by an <snip> rider did take place. As one of the support crew looking after our german friends i was mortified that this happen to our guest. I've no idea how he kept so calm especially when the spit was followed by the contents of the bottle as well. It is a good thing the race was otherwise such a success or there would be a very unimpressed german team returning home with a very dim view of the state of irish cycling.

All the dirt beginning to come out now :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You're right. It seems much longer ago, than that.
    At least, it was an Olympic year.
    Tempus doesn't fugit.

Came across this (start list is down the page)

http://www.anpostmedia.com/Media/Ras_Archive/www.anpostras.com/event/fbdras_470.html

Ireland
    1 David McCann
    2. Paul Griffin
    3. Roger Aiken
    4. Michael Concannon
    5. Robin Seymour

Disgusting behaviour from <snip>. Hopefully it won't go unpunished.

All in all it was a great weekend. Saturday was unique,Sunday was freezing and Monday the bunch finish was lovely to see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Folks,
    I've removed names and club names from discussion of the incident. There's been no official communication about the incident as yet. So while plenty of us were there over the weekend and heard some version of what happened, can we please not start naming names unless something official emerges.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Awful stuff, what kind of sportsman does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Awful stuff, what kind of sportsman does that.

Footballers usually ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement