Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a website accessible to select email addresses and streaming webcams?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I have a vague idea of a website I would like to develop but immediately there are some obstacles in my way as I am relatively new to the world of programming and web development.

The main problems are:

- Making registration for the website restricted to users with a certain email address; eg. only gmail users.

- streaming webcam of one user to screen of another. I know how to access the webcam but sending it over the web to another I have no idea.

I realize there are probably fundamental skills I am lacking to achieve this goal but if somebody could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreicated. I am quite good at javascript, html, css and python but that is my limit at the moment. Will I need other languages such as php to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

have a read of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

You should look into WebRTC, which covers video, audio and networking. Here is a demo:
    http://www.webrtc.org/demo

WebRTC is however is quite new and not supported by all browsers.

This kind of thing could also be done using Flash or Java applets, or by developing an installable component for users to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

- Making registration for the website restricted to users with a certain email address; eg. only gmail users.

Web Servers typically have authentication built in to them, you just need to configure it.
    So you first need to select the Web Server you wish to use, then google "Basic authentication" for it.

Some use properties files, others XML, others can delegate to a directory server or database.
    So you would need to work out how to add, update and remove users programatically from those.

- - streaming webcam of one user to screen of another. I know how to access the webcam but sending it over the web to another I have no idea.

You probably want to look up the RTMP protocol, designed for streaming audio and video.

But due to NAT routers, you probably won't be able to get one user talking directly to another, without a workaround.
    So one user has to make an outbound connection to the other, so that their router will accept connections from the other unknown IP address.

Alternatively, you would have to accept all the video data through your own server and retransmit it back to the other user(s).

Note : HTML 5 might have some fancy new ways of doing some of this, I was just thinking of Java applets there.
    HTML 5 Example of webcam/audio capture

Advertisement