Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Veles wrote: »
    Woooa what a day!

I'll be happier when things are set in stone to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

BluesChronicle Dan Levene
    An incredible story if Villas Boas becomes Chelsea boss. Got his first break as 16yr old offering tactical advice to neighbour Bobby Robson

Amazing..he wrote to Bobby Robson as a fan of Porto & criticized his team selection. From then on Robson & him became friends. Robson advised him to take exams to earn his coaching badges.

The rest is history....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

superfrank wrote: »
    Amazing..he wrote to Bobby Robson as a fan of Porto & criticized his team selection. From then on Robson & him became friends. Robson advised him to take exams to earn his coaching badges.

The rest is history....

Ya hear that Gav, write to someone let ya!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jun/20/andre-villas-boas-chelsea-manager

Five reasons why Chelsea want André Villas-Boas as their new manager

The 33-year-old Porto manager inspires loyalty in his players, has a keen tactical mind and knows how to handle the media
    1 Tactics

Porto had a poor 2009-10 season under Jesualdo Ferreira but when André Villas-Boas took charge he insisted that 4-3-3 was a core part of the club's identity and he would not be changing it. However, he made the team more offensive by inverting the midfield triangle. So instead of Ferreira's two defensive midfielders (Raul Meireles and Fernando), Villas-Boas played two midfielders further up the pitch (João Moutinho and Fernando Belluschi or Fredy Guarín), with Fernando sitting deep. It brought spectacular results in terms of goals – 145 goals in 58 games – but left Porto exposed at the back. They kept only three clean sheets in their last 15 games last season.

2 Man-management

Villas-Boas's team-talk before Porto won the Europa League is a powerful illustration of his ability to motivate players. "It was so moving it brought tears to my eyes," said the Porto goalkeeper Beto. "Every player left that room sure we would beat Braga." He is also known for being calm under pressure. In the Europa League semi-final home leg, Porto were being outplayed by Villarreal and were a goal down at the break. Villas-Boas did not panic, or make any change in formation. Instead he trusted his players, who stormed back to win 5-1.

The glowing praise lavished on Villas-Boas by his players is down to his close relationship with them, perhaps helped by the small difference in age. "He brought an enormous will to win to our team and fostered a great spirit of sacrifice among all of us," says the forward Silvestre Varela. "He's a coach who is close to the players and talks a lot with us. He's always interested in knowing our opinion about every matter and gives freedom to the players."

3 Transfer nous

The 33-year-old has less contol over transfers than he would in England due to the way Porto is run. They have an unrivalled scouting network in South America and a well-oiled backroom structure – and it is often the president, Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa, who oversees transfers. As such, making the most of the market is one test Villas-Boas is yet to take.

But his ability to get maximum commitment out of everyone (even squad players such as Beto) is a hallmark of his management. He relaunched what appeared to be the waning career of Moutinho to the extent that he has now called "the Portuguese Xavi" and had a similarly stimulating effect on Belluschi. The Argentina playmaker looked out of place in his debut season at Porto but has excelled under Villas-Boas.

4 Political operator

Villas-Boas has always stood side by side with his president while his frequent allusions to his past as a fervent Porto fan who travelled to away games immediately endeared him to fans. Although less inclined to seek controversy than his mentor, José Mourinho, Villas-Boas is not averse to meting out sharp ripostes. Last October he was sent to the stands by the referee against Vitória Guimarães, leading Benfica's coach, Jorge Jesus, to suggest that his lack of experience was showing. Two months later, after Jesus got involved in a physical altercation with an opposition player, Villas-Boas retorted: "Who would have thought it? The wizened master losing his rag and behaving far worse than the upstart kid."

5 Media

It is easy to forget that his appointment last summer was a huge surprise and considered a big risk. But his initial nervous demeanour soon gave way to intelligent and self-assured press conferences. Indeed, his energetic displays of emotion on the touchline contrast sharply with what has become a calm and measured style off it. He also does a nice line in soundbites. Upon taking over at Estádio do Dragão and being asked who out of his two famous superiors had had the biggest influence on his career he replied: "I see myself much more in the image of Bobby Robson than Mourinho. Like him I've got English heritage, I've got a big nose and I like red wine."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

papagormo wrote: »
    I'll be happier when things are set in stone to be honest.

Nearly there!

Porto's Alvaro Pereira bids farewell to Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas on Facebook

The Uruguayan defender has hinted that his coach is on the brink of completing a move to Stamford Bridge via the social networking site

Find the best odds and bet on the Premier League.

Porto defender Alvaro Pereira has given a very strong indication that Andre Villas-Boas is on his way to Chelsea after bidding farewell to the coach via his official Facebook page.

The Portuguese tactician appears poised to join Chelsea after just a one-year stint with Porto and left-back Pereira has spoken of his coach's departure as a certainty.

"Andre Villas-Boas is going to Chelsea. Abramovich has taken our coach from the [Estadio] do Dragao," he said on his Facebook page.

"We have to thank the coach for all the work and the trophies conquered with us this season. We have lost our coach but we will remain strong. WE ARE PORTO!"

Chelsea will reportedly spend €15 million [£13.2m] to buy Villas-Boas out of his contract, with Portuguese sources suggesting the 33-year-old has been offered a €5m-a-year deal [£4.4m-a-year], which is five times higher than his current contract at Porto.

Apologies for the double post, but heres what we can possibly expect formation wise - yep its the old 4-4-3! (But with a twist)

"Probably a continuation of the 4-3-3 favoured under Mourinho and, broadly, Carlo Ancelotti, but a much more attack-minded approach than Mourinho," said Zonal Marking editor Michael Cox.
    "In the press conference after the Europa League final in Dublin, Villas-Boas paid tribute to Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola, saying how much he admires the style of football at Barca and also almost apologised for winning that final in a scrappy game, saying he wanted to put on a show."
    There is a brutal efficiency about Porto - the defensive organisation, the tempo of play, the speed of transition to attack. It is as if the players are almost remotely controlled by Villas-Boas.
    But with the exception of the gifted Colombian striker Falcao, there is not much beauty on offer; Porto have ruthlessly demolished the opposition at home and abroad.
    "Compared to Mourinho, Villas-Boas is certainly more attacking. It is functional in that is based on collective movements and patterns, but there is room for improvisation and freedom," added Karlsen.
    "If you are going to be successful with a team that has lots of South American players, you have to be flexible. It is not necessarily Guardiolaesque, but it is more positive.
    "Compared to Mourinho, Villas-Boas is less about show and deflecting attention. But he is also very reflective and full of interesting ideas."

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Greetings all on what looks like a very exciting day!! Trust those with CTV will be tuning at 7pm as a slot cleared then and schedule says TBA. Dont mind the Skyguide - does not get updated.
    This will be brilliant if we pull it off!
    So - nothing on CTV at 7. (just the originally scheduled 'Best of Gus Poyet'. I see reports on twitter that Reps of both clubs to meet tomorrow to thrash out the deal. So, looks like nothing more on it today. Roll on tomorrow. On Nights tonight and tomorrow - so looks like its gonna be hard to get Sleeps for the next 2 days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Really happy with Villas Boas. Seems a top manager.

Will Guus be joining as Director of Football as well though?
    Could be useful with scouting/signing players, however having someone so high profile in the club could put un-necessary pressure on Villas Boas if we go through any bad patches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Won't it be such a let down if Sparky gets the nod!:eek::D

Shut up, shut up, shut up.

hands-over-ears.jpg
    Ya hear that Gav, write to someone let ya!:pac:

Ha, I'm on it. Although I dont think writing to Bobby Robson will do any good. Maybe I should write to Mourihno.

Hhhhhmmmmmm...............

< gets pen and paper >

:pac:

Article on Neymar, nothing really new in it though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2006104/Real-Madrid-want-Cheslea-target-Neymar.html

For Boards users on mobile :

Real Madrid have inquired about Chelsea target Neymar, according to Santos president Luis Alfaro Ribeiro.
    The Barclays Premier League club are long-time admirers of the Brazilian forward and looked to be in pole position to snap him up.
    But Spanish giants Real have made their first move in what could be one of the summer's biggest transfer deals.

Ribeiro insists no negotiations can take place until after his side's Copa Libertadores final second leg against Penarol on Wednesday night.

'It is not just Madrid; a lot of other clubs in Europe have been calling us,' Ribeiro told a press conference. 'It is no surprise - it would be strange if they didn't want him.

'If they pay the buy-out clause of 45million euros and the player wants to go, there is nothing we could do.'

Nevertheless, the Santos chief hopes his side can hang on to the 19-year-old - especially if they win the Copa Libertadores.
    'The clubs can talk to Neymar after the Libertadores, but I am sure that if we win the title, the reasons for Neymar to stay will be even stronger,' he said.

Success for Santos on Wednesday would ensure a place in the Club World Championship in December, while Ribeiro also revealed ambitious plans for the club's centenary year.

'Next year we celebrate our centenary; we are hopeful of bringing Robinho and Diego back to the club, and of keeping Elano and Ganso, and Neymar could be the biggest star of that movie,' he said.

'Santos will write a page in the history of world football that will change the lives of the footballers involved.'

I think he will go to Real in the end.

Johner wrote: »

It does seem that way alright. I'd love if he came here though, theres no player in the EPL like him and he'd be an absolute joy to watch.

Although if he goes to Real Madrid, I'd happly take Ozil or Di Maria or Canales if they we're been let go. ;)

Alert - Alert!

Barca tapping up Luiz Alert! :eek:

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523732

Alert - Alert!

Barca tapping up Luiz Alert! :eek:

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523732

£75 Million and they can have him, or swap for either Iniesta or Messi. Seems fair to me.

Otherwise they can fcuk off. Why would they try and sign Luiz though? With Pique they already have their " Classy " Defender. it with be more in their interested to sign a bruiser to replace that awful Puyol, someone like Vidic or alex, a defender in that mould.

• Advertisement

The Times this morning has us linked heavily again with the player, and with a decent chance of signing him. Can't link as subscription only, but it's there. We're definitely still in with a chance of this guy. They are saying it will be decided after the final, which is in a couple of days. By then AVB will be in place as well, so it makes sense.

Still hope we can get this guy.

gavredking wrote: »
    £75 Million and they can have him, or swap for either Iniesta or Messi. Seems fair to me.

Otherwise they can fcuk off. Why would they try and sign Luiz though? With Pique they already have their " Classy " Defender. it with be more in their interested to sign a bruiser to replace that awful Puyol, someone like Vidic or alex, a defender in that mould.

I think I could just about live with a swap for Messi. :D

The Times this morning has us linked heavily again with the player, and with a decent chance of signing him. Can't link as subscription only, but it's there. We're definitely still in with a chance of this guy. They are saying it will be decided after the final, which is in a couple of days. By then AVB will be in place as well, so it makes sense.

Still hope we can get this guy.

I'd love if we got Neymar, he would offer genuine width and trickery and creativity coming in off the wing, hes excellent on either foot, hes so quick over the ground, hes a bit slight but that means nothing, more chances of free kicks when he eventually gets stopped by a tackle :pac:

He's only 19 and hes a slightly better player then C.Ronaldo at the same age with better end product, in saying that he is a different type of player then C.Ronaldo and i dont think their careers will be similar, but my point is his level of raw talents at this age are just out of this world.

Where ever he goes he will be a star but his attitude and temper may prove his downfall like a lot of Brazilians, but with our 3 current Brazilian internationals Im sure they would let him know how to conduct himself and how to carry himself on the pitch.

If they buy ouy clause is £40-45 Million, Santos will not let him go for a penny under that, they know that clubs will pay that,mainly ourselves or Real so I wouldnt expect him to leave for less.

Heres hoping Roman can pull it off.

Also if anyone has a spare few moments, check his penalty technique out online. :eek:

I think I could just about live with a swap for Messi. :D

Seems fair, worlds best attacking defender for the worlds best forward. ;)

Gourlay - slimey Toad but done good???

Maybe I have been too quick to slag off Gourlay.

It looks like he got 10 million off Luiz and Ramires.
    He helped get Torres as well.
    Now it looks as though he helped persuade Roman to go for Villas-Boas

If he can pull that off, I'd be impressed

• Advertisement

Gourlay - slimey Toad but done good???

Maybe I have been too quick to slag off Gourlay.

It looks like he got 10 million off Luiz and Ramires.
    He helped get Torres as well.
    Now it looks as though he helped persuade Roman to go for Villas-Boas

If he can pull that off, I'd be impressed

Well TBF with Luiz and Ramires, Benefica made over £40 Million from us and I dont think either player was going to cost much more, maybe they had buy out clauses and we negoiated just under these figures.

As soon as Torres knew we we're in for him he was going to leave, to further his career and enhance his chances of medals 9 watch us win F'all with Torres :P )

Villa Boas would be more appealing considering the candiadtes we have mentioned to take over, I can imagine the only persuading Roman needed was on his age and relative lack of experience at the top tier of football.

all in all gourlay is a great guy, I've always loved him.

Not
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

AVB has resigned according to reports in Portugal, the report says AVB paid the claise himself (presume it was funded by CFC) :)
    Delighted

chelseayouth Chelsea Youth
    Reputable Portuguese sources indicating AVB has faxed Porto his intention to resign: http://bit.ly/jIEP5q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Bringing two players over with him as well :D

Reports also saying Moutinho and Falcao following for a combined
    €65m deal, Moutinho €40m???????????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

smuckers wrote: »
    AVB has resigned according to reports in Portugal, the report says AVB paid the claise himself (presume it was funded by CFC) :)
    Delighted

Any links on this ?

Try A bola portugal newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Sky Sports News is reporting everything, this is way I love being a chelsea fan.

All over Twitter that hes resigned, the Chelsea Journos saying he faxed his resignation this morning, if true Porto will still have to be paid money, possibily from his own pocket,but CFC funded I can imagine, I think it woudl be to buy out the remainder of his contract.

I dont want Falcao TBH, not with the options we have already, Mothino would be a decent option, great passer of the ball with an eye for the killer ball, good technique, would be a good CM fr the right price.

More reports saying he's gonna pay his release clause of 15 Million Euro.

I'm sure Roman has a hand in this, I dont think Villa Boas would just happen to have a spare 15Million hanging around.

Things are picking up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

rorysmith_tel Rory Smith
    Villas-Boas has faxed his resignation to Porto, but I believe Chelsea will be paying the clause. #CFC

Will bring Abramovich's spending on just compensation for managers to over £70m.

rorysmith_tel Rory Smith

Will bring Abramovich's spending on just compensation for managers to over £70m.

Drop in the ocean. :pac:

Sure when Villa Boas wins us everything next year it will be money well spent.

;)

gavredking wrote: »
    More reports saying he's gonna pay his release clause of 15 Million Euro.

I'm sure Roman has a hand in this, I dont think Villa Boas would just happen to have a spare 15Million hanging around.

Things are picking up again.

I doubt very much Villas Boas is paying a penny. :D Falcao's agent said he would welcome a move here.

chelseayouth Chelsea Youth
    OFFICIAL: Andre Villas-Boas has resigned from his post as FC Porto manager: http://bit.ly/kB6DqT

Porto have announced Andre Villas-Boas' resignation to the Portuguese Stock Exchange. Everything else now mere formalities.

:D

smuckers wrote: »
    Reports also saying Moutinho and Falcao following for a combined
    €65m deal, Moutinho €40m???????????

Really not so happy about bringing players esp if it means missing out on our real targets

but hey - its all kicking off again, and once he is in place, the hunt for more players will truly be on. Its going to be some summer!

(Then lose to Stoke and the gloom descends :eek:)

Statement from Porto,

A Futebol Clube do Porto – Futebol, SAD, nos termos do artigo 248º nº1 do Código
    dos Valores Mobiliários, vem informar o mercado que a Futebol Clube do Porto –
    Futebol, SAD foi hoje notificada da intenção do seu treinador, André Villas Boas, de
    resolver, sem justa causa, o contrato de trabalho desportivo em vigor com esta
    sociedade, accionando a respectiva cláusula de rescisão, de imediato.
    Nesta conformidade, o contrato de trabalho será considerado, por esta sociedade,
    resolvido, com o depósito da quantia aí prevista.
    O Conselho de Administração
    Porto, 21 de Junho de 2011

THE Football Club of the Port - Football, TRISTE, pursuant to article 248 paragraph 1 of the Securities Market Code , come to inform the market that the Football Club of the Port - Football, TRISTE today was notified of the intention of its coach, Andre Villas Boas, to deal with , without just cause, the sports employment contracts in force to this company, triggering the respective termination clause, immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Villas-Boas is going to be a risky appointment, he has a lot of talent but this really is going to be a step up in pressure and quality of opponent. Think given time and patience he'll be a fantastic manager for you ie not being sacked if he doesn't win anything next year :pac:

Hopefully everything is wrapped up today. Delighted about this appointment though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Villas-Boas is going to be a risky appointment, he has a lot of talent but this really is going to be a step up in pressure and quality of opponent. Think given time and patience he'll be a fantastic manager for you ie not being sacked if he doesn't win anything next year :pac:

I agree, I hope chelsea have learned from their mistakes in the past and give andre a chance, he could be amazing. I also hope they support him in the transfer market. This team needs some fresh faces.

I dont think we need falcao tbh but I would love to see moutinhno at chelsea but only for a reasonable price

• Advertisement

He is in london for talks so hopefully this deal is done today.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I agree, I hope chelsea have learned from their mistakes in the past and give andre a chance, he could be amazing. I also hope they support him in the transfer market. This team needs some fresh faces.

I dont think we need falcao tbh but I would love to see moutinhno at chelsea but only for a reasonable price

A lot of managers are under pressure, (Arsne, Mancini and Kenny to name a few) and unless Villas-Boas has been living in a cloud, he will know what the job entails and the price of failure. 4,5 million helps soften the blow though.
    Maybe Chelsea will take some notice of this and as long as he competes and delivers attacking football, the minimum requirement will be a top four finish and reaching a cup final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

evanfanning Evan Fanning by DanKennett
    Pleased for Andres Villas-Boas. Apparently it's been his lifelong dream to have his team picked by a Russian oligarch

Funny haha/sarcasm:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

:rolleyes:

garbosj Ian McGarry
    AVB contract states that he must exercise release clause, not #CFC. The payment source is irrelevant in law but #CFC are picking up the bill

• Advertisement

Really not so happy about bringing players esp if it means missing out on our real targets

but hey - its all kicking off again, and once he is in place, the hunt for more players will truly be on. Its going to be some summer!

(Then lose to Stoke and the gloom descends :eek:)

Monkey? Is that you?? :P

Agree on the players, but there was alot of uproar when we sepnt £20 Million on a curly headed Portguese CB who turned out to be an ok player for us. ;)

carvalho.jpg
    garbosj Ian McGarry
    AVB contract states that he must exercise release clause, not #CFC. The payment source is irrelevant in law but #CFC are picking up the bill

Hope the deal is done ASAP. Be a huge coup anyway from us. Please god Roman dont sack him, even if we win nothing next year, as long as hes given time he will deliver.

From Twitter, garbosj :

CFC we're in discussion with Hiddink, he refused.

Interesting. Although I must admit Villa Boas is an adequate alternative. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

"Pleased for Andres Villas-Boas. Apparently it's been his lifelong dream to have his team picked by a Russian oligarch "

In fairness at Porto he didnt do any of the transfers either, he just managed the team, maybe thats what we need, someone to say give me players and i'll turn them into a winning team!!

He is in london for talks so hopefully this deal is done today.

I understand he landed at London City Airport and walked down the middle of The Thames to Battersea Bridge where he got a cab for the final half mile of the journey :-)

Welcome AVB! :D

This is the managerial equivalent of signing Messi before he became big for a relatively small fee, signing Fabregas for nothing from Barca, or signing Cristiano Ronaldo for £12 million before he established himself. (Or signing Jose before he won the CL with Porto, rather than after.)

The future's bright - the future's BLUE!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Thought AVB would be too much of an ask, chuffed now, hopefully Roman gives him time (very unlikely)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement