Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DART reaches Skerries (kind of)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wow, that's a new one. Developing a fault on the way back from maintenance, suppose it was only wheel turning but seems to be a related problem or a coupler connection issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Wow, that's a new one. Developing a fault on the way back from maintenance, suppose it was only wheel turning but seems to be a related problem or a coupler connection issue.

"and now has one axle on a wheel skate"....I think that "may" be the issue. These skate jobs are very speed restricted and have to make regular checks to make sure none of the bearings are starting to overheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Could that be why it was dumped, to do the move in stages due to the speed restriction and not block up the line, like the Mk3 DVT back to Inchicore on a wheel skate took a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Was wondering what that was doing there alright.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

If I were travelling that far on any rail vehicle, I'd want to have on-board restrooms and somewhat more comfortable seating than on the 8100 class.

The last Interconnector proposal had the DART ending in Balbriggan. That would cause congestion for the current Northern Line commuter trains, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

MGWR wrote: »
    If I were travelling that far on any rail vehicle, I'd want to have on-board restrooms and somewhat more comfortable seating than on the 8100 class.

The last Interconnector proposal had the DART ending in Balbriggan. That would cause congestion for the current Northern Line commuter trains, wouldn't it?

Not really as DART would take the place of DMU's and the current Malahide services on the line. DART was to get a new depot in Balbriggan as well so there would be sidings to move sets off the running line.

I'd agree with you on the former point but then again some London Underground services run long trips with less onboard comfort levels than DART; Picadilly line is one that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not really as DART would take the place of DMU's and the current Malahide services on the line. DART was to get a new depot in Balbriggan as well so there would be sidings to move sets off the running line.

I'd agree with you on the former point but then again some London Underground services run long trips with less onboard comfort levels than DART; Picadilly line is one that comes to mind.
    Berlin and Munich also have long S-Bahn stretches with no toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

While turnback congestion would (hopefully) be less at Balbriggan than the inferior arrangements at Malahide, wouldn't the 60mph max speed of DART sets be an issue? Or is the presumption that the "outer" services would be handled by a new order of higher speed EMUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    While turnback congestion would (hopefully) be less at Balbriggan than the inferior arrangements at Malahide, wouldn't the 60mph max speed of DART sets be an issue? Or is the presumption that the "outer" services would be handled by a new order of higher speed EMUs?

It wouldn't make any noticeable difference due to the stops at stations en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

That DART was finally tagged last night. Big gap in the fence right beside it for years, no security...the only variable was when it would be attacked. Someone might think about moving it now...... Or maybe even fix all the gaps along that small stretch of fence. Disappointing..:-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement