Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Philadelphia-Las Vegas

Options
  • 29-08-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all, I'm flying US Airways from Dublin to Las Vegas with a stopover in Philadelphia and I have some queries.
    1. Where will we be going through US immigration? I've seen on Boards a few different opinions as to whether it's in Dublin or the US.
    2. Is 2 hours enough to make our connecting flight in Phili bearing in mind we will need to change terminal?
    Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are on a direct non stop flight from Ireland to the US, you will pre clear Customs & Immigration in Ireland.

Two hours is plenty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The US flight to PHL preclears, so 2 hours will be plenty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you are on a direct non stop flight from Ireland to the US, you will pre clear Customs & Immigration in Ireland.

Two hours is plenty.

Just to be clear, NOT ALL IRELAND FLIGHTS DIRECT USA CLEAR CBP in Ireland. Thought CBP closes too early for some flights in Dublin.

In OPs case, it will clear customs in Ireland.

Sorry if I have misread your post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just to be clear, NOT ALL IRELAND FLIGHTS DIRECT USA CLEAR CBP in Ireland. Thought CBP closes too early for some flights in Dublin.

According to the Dublin Airport website, the only flights that don't pre clear in Ireland are a couple of Aer Lingus flights to New York and Boston (or Boston & New York, I forget which.) Either way, the OP will be fine, as the US Airways flights to Philly do pre clear in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What's to early? Isn't STD closure 45 minutes which is more than acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

From the Dublin airport website;

"There are currently three Aer Lingus US bound flights - two to Boston and the service to Chicago - which do not avail of the USCBP facility at Dublin Airport."

Can be found at;

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx

I thought it was something to do with timing issues, but that can be right looking at the times of the flights. Read somewhere else that it could be an issue with not enough CBP staff to clear passengers at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I made the same trip with three friends a while back. Clearence is in Dublin. The two hours will just about be enough, you probably won't have time to get something to eat in Philly, all because of a huge queue to check your passport, it was unavoidable even with clearance in Dublin and it was a slow process.

I am guessing you are going with US Airways? they can check you in for both flights in Dublin. I will never fly with them again, they treated me and a friend like dirt....(they checked two of us on to a later flight from Philly to Vegas without even informing us, because they overbook all their flights, then when we tried to complain in Philly they just shrugged their shoulders and told us to pi$$ off. Then to add insult to injury, after waiting around for four more hours, they also overbooked the later flight and I had to scream blue murder for 10 minutes to get on the plane (the only reason they let me on was because I had baggage checked in, so some other poor slob did not get on))...they are scumbags as far as I am concerned, hope you have better luck :)

/Phew, sorry about the rant, just make sure they check you on to the correct flight and put your luggage in the hold, it's too much hassle for them to take the luggage back out so someone else will get bounced insted of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sconsey wrote: »
    The two hours will just about be enough, you probably won't have time to get something to eat in Philly, all because of a huge queue to check your passport, it was unavoidable even with clearance in Dublin and it was a slow process.

I'm guessing that was because you left the international terminal and had to go through "domestic" security to get on the domestic flight?

Annoying.

Getting "bumped" when a flight is overbooked can be great though, they usually give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I am guessing you are going with US Airways? they can check you in for both flights in Dublin. I will never fly with them again, they treated me and a friend like dirt....(they checked two of us on to a later flight from Philly to Vegas without even informing us, because they overbook all their flights, then when we tried to complain in Philly they just shrugged their shoulders and told us to pi$$ off. Then to add insult to injury, after waiting around for four more hours, they also overbooked the later flight and I had to scream blue murder for 10 minutes to get on the plane (the only reason they let me on was because I had baggage checked in, so some other poor slob did not get on))...they are scumbags as far as I am concerned, hope you have better luck :)

wow I'm glad I wasn't on YOUR flight ...

depending on which terminal your LAS departs from , you should be able to stay airside which means 2 hours is plenty. Do be aware though that there usually are no food services on domestic flights (you will get a drink) - there are snacks for purchase or you might like to buy something at a concession stand near the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Sconsey wrote: »
    they checked two of us on to a later flight from Philly to Vegas without even informing us, because they overbook all their flights, then when we tried to complain in Philly they just shrugged their shoulders and told us to pi$$ off. Then to add insult to injury, after waiting around for four more hours
    If you had a confirmed ticket and you were bumped from the flight then you are entitled to Denied Boarding compensation. Did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

steve-o wrote: »
    If you had a confirmed ticket and you were bumped from the flight then you are entitled to Denied Boarding compensation. Did you get it?

Right. Normally(?) you get a refund plus a free flight.

They also usually call for volenteers, and they usually get them too because its such a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

steve-o wrote: »
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    Right. Normally(?) you get a refund plus a free flight.

They also usually call for volenteers, and they usually get them too because its such a good deal.

Yeah you would think so alright, they said I was checked on to the later flight, I wasn't denied boarding from my flight because I never got a boarding card for it. They just checked me on to a diifierent flight without telling me. I should have known something was up when they came looking for me at the gate in Dublin and the lady who checked me in asked to see my boarding cards, she disappeared and came back later saying all was fine. I asked her what the problem was she mutterred something about checking luggage.

I did try complaining when I got home, after three emails to customer service, where they denied making any mistakes/wrongdoing, I was eventually offered a $75 US Airways voucher (for use on US domestic flights only):mad: I gave up at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

If you had valid tickets for a flight and didn't get on it through no fault of your own then you were denied boarding. If there were 4 of you and you were delayed by more than 4 hours then it would be worth at least $2000 (it's about 80% of the total fare).

If there was a schedule change that you were notified of beforehand then this doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Delsar

Thanks again for all the replies guys. We cleared customs in Dublin and 2 hours was more than enough time between flights in Philadelphia.

Advertisement