Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

CSF wrote: »
    Pathetic strawman argument right there.
    I'm pretty sure your coming in here and telling us how great it would be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international come manage in our league would be is equally ridiculous, if not as far as offensive.
    Get over yourself. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club that seemingly have not been able to compete with a League 2 side to keep their manager. Scores of much bigger teams have went with unproven managers and it has worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Well Kilbane won't be our manager. Thats about all we learned at the fans forum tonight. The rest was mostly hysteria and bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My moneys on Damien Richardson, unfortunately.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Well Kilbane won't be our manager. Thats about all we learned at the fans forum tonight. The rest was mostly hysteria and bullsh1t.
    If that's confirmed, then I suggest that this topic is locked as it'll go nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My moneys on Damien Richardson, unfortunately.
    Again I'd rather Kilbane. My moneys on the Egil.

• Advertisement

If that's confirmed, then I suggest that this topic is locked as it'll go nowhere.

We confirmed it this morning before this thread was even created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Get over yourself. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club that seemingly have not been able to compete with a League 2 side to keep their manager. Scores of much bigger teams have went with unproven managers and it has worked out.
    Again, keep the condescending nature of your posts coming. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club who as you can see have overlooked the almighty ex-Irish international Kevin Kilbane.

For the record, I never said it wouldn't/couldn't work out, I took issue with the idea that Sligo should be so privileged to have an ex-Irish international enter the Showgrounds.

I took issue with the idea that Sligo should be so privileged to have an ex-Irish international enter the Showgrounds.
    Can you please direct me to the bit where anyone said that Sligo Rovers should be "privileged" to have an Irish international on their books?

Can you please direct me to the bit where anyone said that Sligo Rovers should be "privileged" to have an Irish international on their books?
    I never used a direct quote so why are you? You've come in and said how great it would it be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international in its ranks, and then when challenged on it, you've taken a condescending swipe at the club in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

maybe we should just leave it...because all these threads turn into LOI vs ROTW and to be honest the majority of people are fúcked up of it

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    maybe we should just leave it...because all these threads turn into LOI vs ROTW and to be honest the majority of people are fúcked up of it
    If it is bothering you so much, why are you still reading?

Serious stuff went down tonight.
    Confirmed, again, Kilbane is a no go, never, never gonna happen.

As stovelid said, appointing a manager appears to be a bit away yet...!!
    Turns out Aaron Greene got a signing on fee, even though he didnt sign, which he now has to repay.
    All appears to be a bit of a mess.
    Angry enough scenes tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If it is bothering you so much, why are you still reading?

Because I'd like to see it, just to once, go down a different route.

Is the reason why you're still posting because you enjoy it?

Kevin Kilbane at Sligo won't happen, and I'd understand why Sligo fans and even LOI fans from other clubs would be shocked, worried and even annoyed... but surely to fúck it can be discussed like other stories/debates that link the LOI with other aspects of the game, without it going down the LOI vs the world debate again and again and again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Turns out Aaron Greene got a signing on fee, even though he didnt sign, which he now has to repay.
    All appears to be a bit of a mess.

Isnt this exactly what happened with Turner? What kind of a circus are they running over there, caught paying players off the books AGAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A "signing on fee" eh.

CiaranC wrote: »
    What kind of a circus are they running over there

Can i start a new thread?:rolleyes:
    Just as the going was good.

They couldnt run a fecking race night imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

well this thread went off on a bit of a mad tangent while i was in work!

I never used a direct quote so why are you? You've come in and said how great it would it be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international in its ranks, and then when challenged on it, you've taken a condescending swipe at the club in question.
    I am in no ways being condescending towards Sligo Rovers, a club who I respect. The reality for them is that with a limited wage budget, and the fact that they operate on a small, peripheral island with a rubbish climate, that their potential pool of candidates is going to be limited (hence why we're seeing so many risky candidates up for the job).

To use an analogy; I cannot afford to purchase a Bentley, but it wouldn't offend me if someone suggested I buy a Skoda instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

It wasn't just any League 2 club, it was his last club to play for, also near his home and young family in England. Sure he turned down an SPL club a few months before, which is a higher standard than League 2. You're right plenty of teams have given an unknown manager a chance and has worked out very well. But rarely have any of those teams been in a position to challenge for the league. A lot of people who are posting in this thread wouldn't have an opinion on who the next Rovers manager should be if it wasn't for the fact that Kevin Kilbane was linked with the job.

Isnt this exactly what happened with Turner? What kind of a circus are they running over there, caught paying players off the books AGAIN

If it's that clear that we are paying players off the books why haven't the FAI done something about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Your board just announced at a public meeting that they paid Greene even though he wasnt signed. Id ask the same question of the FAI, but I suspect I know the answer already - that they are incompetent fools.

Your board just announced at a public meeting that they paid Greene even though he wasnt signed. Id ask the same question of the FAI, but I suspect I know the answer already - that they are incompetent fools.

Only paid since the beginning of pre-season, but he should not have been when there was a chance of him leaving. Some gross incompetence shown by our board. Very amateur on our part but they obviously took it in good faith that he would sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Don't ask me why Des found it necessary to tell someone to **** off. Ask him yourself. For the record, I don't think Des telling someone to **** off is going to have any impact on attendances anywhere, but allow him to explain his own reasoning behind the necessity.

Nope, that wouldn't put people off going at all. But his attitude is very representative of the general vibe given from LOI goers towards other people... and that is the problem. I try to go to random games on occasion, simply as a fan of football, not a fan of any particular Irish team, and it's extremely difficult to avoid negative treatment from regular LoI fans if I ever get chatting to them.

Back On Topic: Kilbane can only fail by coming here to manage a club that people expect to do well. It would be a horrible way to start a management career, IMO. He's much better off at a lowly English club that aren't expected to do much, with the hope of "proving people wrong", than going to a decent Irish club were the media will be dying for him to "prove people right" by failing. He'd have to win the league here to be considered "worth the gamble".

carlcon wrote: »
    I try to go to random games on occasion, simply as a fan of football, not a fan of any particular Irish team, and it's extremely difficult to avoid negative treatment from regular LoI fans if I ever get chatting to them.
    Well I have to say I find that interesting as I've been going to games for years and never hear the word barstooler used, or even insinuated at a game. I can only suggest you are possibly visiting the wrong clubs.

In any case, that sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable towards people who are showing a genuine interest in the league, and naturally would turn those people off Irish football.

I don't buy however that a few lads on the internet with a different opinion (even presented rudely) has any impact, because in the end if you post on any forum about anything on the internet, you're probably going to encounter this in some form. I can't accept that this is any different in the United or Liverpool threads.

stovelid wrote: »
    A "signing on fee" eh.
    This is seriously dodgy, and following on from Turner someone should definitely have a peek at Sligo's accounts, to make sure everything is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I have never, ever seen someone actually AT a match being openly mocked in that fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Going to old firm games; Manchester and Lancashire derbies and Chelsea games: grand.

Going to LOI games: highly dangerous due to scant chance of somebody asking you to produce season ticket evidence of attendance for last 10 years and judging you.

stovelid wrote: »
    Going to old firm games; Manchester and Lancashire derbies and Chelsea games: grand.

Going to LOI games: highly dangerous due to scant chance of somebody asking you to produce season ticket evidence of attendance for last 10 years and judging you.

Get and give abuse all over the Man U, Liverpool, Celtic, Ranger "super" threads. Still go to games/watch on TV

Someone uses the word barstooler in a thread; get "offended" and pretend it's the reason I don't like the LoI.

Pull the other one lads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Des wrote: »
    Get and give abuse all over the Man U, Liverpool, Celtic, Ranger "super" threads. Still go to games/watch on TV

Someone uses the word barstooler in a thread; get "offended" and pretend it's the reason I don't like the LoI.

Pull the other one lads. :rolleyes:
    Actually have to agree with you here Des, but I still think your early comments were moronic. Some of the anti-LOI element on this thread seemed to be waiting in the long grass ready to stick the boot in.

I have never experienced a closedshop attitude from LOI fans. The reason I rarely go to matches is because I'm too lazy.

Xavi - you say you could develop a real interest in LOI if people were nicer to you. I think you're being a bit disingenuous. You're hardly going to go to matches if you live in Australia! Debates on internet forums don't affect attendences. What is more damaging to football in general (LOI included) is the emergence of glory-hunter clubs like Manchester City. These overnight sensations are bad for the game. I feel there has been a knock on affect in LOI.

I still think Kilbane would be good for Sligo, if he'd be interested. An experienced LOI campaigner as his no.2 would go along way too.

• Advertisement

Xavi - you say you could develop a real interest in LOI if people were nicer to you. I think you're being a bit disingenuous. You're hardly going to go to matches if you live in Australia!

Xavi is a Shelbourne supporter, and when he lived in Ireland, he was a regular at Tolka Park. I even spotted him at a pre-season friendly a couple of years back when he was on a visit home, he was freezing his tits off in the back arse of nowhere on the roads between Finglas and Blanchardstown. It was not a nice evening to be out, especially for someone on a visit from Down Under in the middle of February (their summer, don't forget)

Advertisement