Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Lactose intolerant friendly cupcakes

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with baking for people with a lactose intolerance?

I wanted to bake some cupcakes for my friends baby's christening and one of her daughters is lactose intolerant. I've done a bit of research and I can get a butter replacement but can anyone recommend a brand that works well?

Trying to find out if the fluff marshmallow is dairy free, potential topping?! Seen it in Supervalu

Would appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I've used both Stork margarine (the one in the foil is dairy free, the one in the tub isn't) and Pure for lactose intolerant baking before and they've both worked well. I'm not sure about the fluff marshmallow stuff but I'd imagine it is dairy free.

Edit: I've been told that the fluff stuff is dairy free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Does butter have significant amounts of lactose in it ?

My recollection is that it does not ( and nor do hard cheeses )

Is this incorrect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

0lddog wrote: »
    Does butter have significant amounts of lactose in it ?

My recollection is that it does not ( and nor do hard cheeses )

Is this incorrect ?

I asked her mam and butter is out at the moment. She's only 2 so they'll be introducing things like butter in small amounts to see how things go but for the moment it's out.

I'm making the christening cake so I thought a few cupcakes for her might be nice as she can't eat the cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Macaroons? The old fashioned coconut kind- they're very quick and yummy. Just egg white, sugar and dessicated coconut. I would dip them in dark chocolate and sprinkle more coconut on top for adults. Or meringues? Tea brack is dairy free too although it might not be to her taste. Glacé icing or marzipan or royal icing would be fine as well as the marshmallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Give her something else she likes instead? Like a marshmallow lollypop? Did marshmallow in simple sugar/water icing and attach sprinkles. Can get fancy and do faces etc.

CIMG0086.JPG

Seriously, don't penalise everyone else at a party for one two year old!

I say this as a mother of a child with egg and nut allergies. I baked away as normal for every party and did something small for her separately. A 2 year old doesn't eat much and doesn't notice what other people are eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Thanks for that. Great idea for the marshmallows and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Philidelphia have started advertising a lactose-free cream cheese, I haven't seen it in the shops yet, but if you track it down you could make a tasty tasty topping with it & icing sugar? I've set my hubby the challenge of finding it & making me a cheesecake, mmm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Google dairy free cakes and you will get lots of recipes. American cake recipes are good because a lot of them use vegetable oil instead of butter or margarine.

You can use any cake batter for cupcakes just pour into a cupcake tin/tray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Philidelphia have started advertising a lactose-free cream cheese, I haven't seen it in the shops yet, but if you track it down you could make a tasty tasty topping with it & icing sugar? I've set my hubby the challenge of finding it & making me a cheesecake, mmm!!

The philadelphia lacto-free is 8.2% fat. It won't set into anything other than a puddle with icing sugar I'd say. They reduced the fat content in their full-fat cream cheese as well (to 21%), and nothing sets anymore.

Advertisement