Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing the MCD stickies...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Very much so.

That's just silly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ok, the issue is slightly conflated and I want to clear something up.

On the one hand, there has been a decision in the High Court that is very very positive for the digital rights movement in Ireland. Particularly, it means that the discussion forum/chat room format is shielded (note: not immune) from anti-freedom of speech attacks.

I'd say it merely clarified what was already generally believed to be the case.
    One other thing I want to clear up and I've been at the head of a one-man campaign on boards in relation to this issue: fair comment/truth/justification/opinion are defences in a court case against a claim of defamation. Successfully pleading a defence doesn't necessarily mean that the words complained of are not defamatory.

Has fair comment been accepted by our courts?
    They're separate issues for the jury to decide (yes, jury, not judge).

Provided it's over €38k's worth of defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Has fair comment been accepted by our courts?

According to this, yes Do you disagree, if so why so?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This thread is becoming a little silly in itself. If you want to discuss the finer points of defamation law, there's a forum for it.

The law isn't an exact science, but more of an art (the same way English and Politics are). I'm trying my hardest on this site to make sure everyone's aware of the implication of what is said here. I can't be any more precise than I have been already and I don't want the issues made more difficult by over-analysis. If there's a question in relation to any legal aspects on the site, anyone can contact me or any mods with Judges' Chambers [Legal Issues] in their profile and we'll be happy to assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

That MCD ban discussion has been in existance for as long as I have been on boards. So it is good to see it gone.

Really did seeem a bit like censorship (obviously not boards.ie fault), and I have really problems with censorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

DeVore wrote: »
    we are removing the MCD stickies and allowing discussion of MCD events.

DeV.

Bloody thanks-whore ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've noticed that a certain music festival's name and misspelled element has been swear filtered out. Just thought you might like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

DeVore wrote: »
    Due to recent High Court rulings, http://bit.ly/13hkfh , we are removing the MCD stickies and allowing discussion of MCD events.

There still exists a pending court case between MCD and Boards.ie and
    I would like to remind you all that it is a contempt to court to discuss any current case (MCD related or otherwise) so please do NOT do that.

Normal libel laws still apply and we will remove that which is brought to our attention as per our requirements under that ruling. Please do not libel anyone.

Thanks for your time and attention

DeV.

linked to the cae but it is about BETFAIR
    was that the correct link

• Advertisement

drzhivago wrote: »
    linked to the cae but it is about BETFAIR
    was that the correct link

Yes. The case centered around an Irish internet "chatroom";

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Law is Ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

tba wrote: »
    Law is Ghey an ass.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We have removed Oxegen, Olympia etc from the "banned" words list too, so carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So what happened between Boards and MCD anyway? I joined afterwards and didnt want to be banned for asking.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, we actually still can't discuss the case as such but MCD initiated legal proceedings against boards.ie Ltd in 2006. :)

• Advertisement

Can I post a link to a blog which explains the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If not you could pm me plz Boston, cheers.

Yeah, we're not liable for that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Think this has run it's course, closing as such.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement