Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eircoms Fixed SMS service?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got an email there from eircom about their fixed sms service dissappearing.

http://support.eircom.net/article/pricingupdate
    My notification said that Fixed SMS service was going to be withdrawn - what does this mean?

The Fixed SMS service, which is the ability to send text messages from your home phone and which may be included in your plan, will be withdrawn from 30th June 2015. It will not be possible to send or receive text messages via your home phone after this date. Certain security and alarm monitoring services may be impacted by this change and we would advise you to contact your alarm monitoring supplier for further information. This Fixed SMS service withdrawal does not affect the sending or receiving of text messages on mobile phones.

Are there any other telecom providers that offer this service?

Kindest regards,

Bal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sms has had it's day, it's time to move to instant messaging, there are plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Sms has had it's day, it's time to move to instant messaging, there are plenty of options.

SMS may have had its day as you say and I think should be more exclusive to mobiles. However the fixed SMS feature issue has more of an effect on those who have alarms that send messages when activated and potentially monitored services too. Something Eircom themselves charge for.

If other telecom companies will offer the facility I can see Eircom losing a serious amount of customers and as a result revenue. Something they would deserve if they go on like this. What service will they remove next?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

cunnijo wrote: »
    SMS may have had its day as you say and I think should be more exclusive to mobiles. However the fixed SMS feature issue has more of an effect on those who have alarms that send messages when activated and potentially monitored services too. Something Eircom themselves charge for.

If other telecom companies will offer the facility I can see Eircom losing a serious amount of customers and as a result revenue. Something they would deserve if they go on like this. What service will they remove next?

Dial up. The minute every lotto machine stops using them. I think a lot of them use ISDN where there's no broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Mr. G wrote: »
    Dial up. The minute every lotto machine stops using them. I think a lot of them use ISDN where there's no broadband...

I think all lotto machines are at least on ISDN and that soon this form of communication will be outdated too. As for dial up it will be quite some time, as Eircom will not be providing broadband to most rural areas anytime in the near future.

Have a friend works with lotto machines, most are isdn but there's a 3g modem too that works on all networks, uses whatever's available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    I assume using a multi-SIM gateway/modem?

What I understood is there was no SIM, the modem just worked on all mobile networks, maybe they just shipped with SIM fitted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

But who actually uses dial up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nigel Alexander

I don't think SMS has had its day. Unlike text, instant messaging requires a) all parties to have the same app b) all parties to have a smartphone

Advertisement