Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 Price variation

Options
  • 06-11-2010 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm trying to decide the best place to buy a Samsung Galaxy Europa. I am currently on O2 prepay and i'm very happy with that, so i'd rather not change network if I can avoid it. The problem is this phone is way more expensive on O2 than every other network!

Prices for Samsung Galaxy Europa on Pre pay (online prices)

O2 - €199
    e mobile - €139
    Meteor - €119
    3 - €119
    Vodafone - €99

Sim free phone on mobilefun.co.uk £175 (€201)

Has anyone got any ideas why the phone so expensive on O2!? Do you think there is any chance of this price going down soon? My current phone is on it's last legs. Is it possible to bargain them down, considering the other prices? It seems odd that i could get an unlocked phone for pretty much the same price they are offering it for, i thought they usually subsidised handsets.

I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

O2 will probably drop the price in next few weeks for Christmas and will advertise it as 100 off seeing as they had it at 199 for a few weeks. Think there is something in marketing that you have had to have something at a certain price for a certain length of time to advertise it at money off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aoifecmcc

Hmm interesting, I hope you're right! I'd really prefer not to have to change network. Thanks :)

Anyone know when o2 usually bring out christmas offers? getting a bit sick of having to regularly sellotape my phone back together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why would you want the phone on o2, they have no pre pay data add on, your going to get ripped off topping up. Meteor & eMobile have only a tiny 3G network and there is well reported problems of meteor/emobile and android.
    It leaves you with 3 and Vodafone, tbh I'd leave the other networks alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That phone from metoer isn't locked! I bought one on prepay a few weeks back, and am still using it with my o2 sim now!

In regards to 3g, I have my 3g turned off most of the time, But I can connect to the wifi at home so that is enough for me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Timmaay wrote: »
    That phone from metoer isn't locked! I bought one on prepay a few weeks back, and am still using it with my o2 sim now!

Yours may be unlocked, but models in other stores could have a network lock. their is no hard and fast rule, its luck of the draw. You increase the chances by buying early after launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm thats interesting, I wasn't too pushed weather I was on meteor or o2, i would have ported and used the meteor sim if I had to but because the o2 sim worked I never bothered!

But anyway, for the record I bought it online from the meteor.ie , whether that changes the odds of it being locked or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

The Europa has gone down to €89.99 (online price) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Was thinking of getting one of these. Are they difficult to unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

i telephoned a shop which unlocks phones and they said they could not unlock that phone!!!

Anyone else try unlock it??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It can be unlocked, try a few other shops.

• Advertisement

thanks davy will do.

anyone from Limerick know a shop?

was on this website http://www.mobileunlocked.co.uk/Samsung/i5500/ .

Has anyone ever used this site before? Charging €18.99 to provide unlocking key. I sent them an email to see if they can

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Timmaay wrote: »

In regards to 3g, I have my 3g turned off most of the time, But I can connect to the wifi at home so that is enough for me!

Just to confirm that I got one delivered this morning from the online store. It IS LOCKED to Meteor. It's still looks to be a great little phone for the money and this is not the end of the world. Can anyone recommend a good reliable online SIM unlocking service?

hi sky ster,

I would definitely recommend the above on line service.

I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Europa from Meteor and inquired in three different phone unlocking shops to unlock it. They all told me that I would be impossible to unlock that phone.

I emailed this company and ask could they do it. They confirmed that this would not be a problem. So I took a chance on it and they got back to me with unlocking codes for the phone.

And the code unlocked my new phone. So def try this website. It worked for me.
    Cost €18.99 and they got back to me with half a day with code.

PS i also got another phone unlocked in one of these shops and was charged€30 euro to do so. If i knew about this site beforehand, it would have cost me €11.99.!!!!!!

Thanks for that. I was thinking of giving them a shot. Ordering now.

Let me know how you get on.

sam27 wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on.

Ordered from http://www.mobileunlocked.co.uk/Samsung/i5500/ on Thursday. Had the code Friday morning. Worked first time. Great service. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 turtle2

aoifecmcc wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to decide the best place to buy a Samsung Galaxy Europa. I am currently on O2 prepay and i'm very happy with that, so i'd rather not change network if I can avoid it. The problem is this phone is way more expensive on O2 than every other network!

Prices for Samsung Galaxy Europa on Pre pay (online prices)

O2 - €199
    e mobile - €139
    Meteor - €119
    3 - €119
    Vodafone - €99

Sim free phone on mobilefun.co.uk £175 (€201)

Has anyone got any ideas why the phone so expensive on O2!? Do you think there is any chance of this price going down soon? My current phone is on it's last legs. Is it possible to bargain them down, considering the other prices? It seems odd that i could get an unlocked phone for pretty much the same price they are offering it for, i thought they usually subsidised handsets.

I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom! :confused:
    seriously, why not change to 3? I pay less than 30 per month (best of both 25) and have a free phone. I have unlimited calles to 3 users and free texts for life plus 200 free minutes to any land line and mobile in Ire. (you have to top up to get 1850 or irregular type numbers though!)
    My husband is on pre-pay with 3. You will get the samsung for 99 on pre-pay. And whenever you top up by 20 they add on 10 every single time. I was on to them tonight for my husband. I am thrilled with the customer service and I promise I have tried all the networks. O2 was the biggest rip off!

You have probably got one by now.

Advertisement