Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 sun holiday

Options
  • 16-02-2015 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some inspiration please.... myself and partner (early 30s) are looking at holiday destinations for the summer. Will be going for two weeks and we both love sun. I know I can just google the usual but would love someone to give me ideas of what towns/places they think are nice to go to. We like sea side places preferably and like the "holiday" type places but not the €1 pint/full english breakfasts if you know what I mean. Would just love to hear your experiences of places you would recommend. Would be open to anywhere in Europe, and wouldn't totally rule out further afield either. Value is important also - middle of the road type prices.

Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

There are the usual sun destinations - Lanzarote, Spain, France.. are you looking to stay in a hotel or a villa/apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

thanks for reply. Prefer hotels really. Am really looking for specific areas/towns/islands suggestions rather than countries. If you had to recommend one holiday destination to a friend what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi, a couple of years back myself and my family spent 2 weeks in Altea, Spain. We flew in to Alicante airport . It was lovely I have to say. The town a little up the road was even better, Calpe. It had lots of bars, cafes , shops and lovely beaches. Benidorm and Alicante are within reach if you fancy the hectic, tourist clubby nightlife but we were very happy with the bustle about these two towns. I would go back in a flash! Also, Collioure in the South East of France. France is generally more expensive than Spain for both accomadation and food etc but for Collioure it was worth it. It is just like a very sunny Galway. Small streets, lots of cafes and galleries with lovely bars to while away a warm evening . There are quite a few beautiful towns around that area, Canet, St. Cyprien and Argeles spring to mind . Plenty to do and beautiful surroundings. Have fun whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Hi, my wife and I went to Barcelona last Summer and highly recommend it. We stayed in a nice 4* Hotel called Hotel Barcelona for 4 nights and 3 nights in Blanes North of Barcelona. We took a Ryanair flight to Girona Airport and relied on bus from the Airport to Barcelona followed by Train to Blanes (2 hour journey) and a short Bus journey back to Girona. The split of city and beach resort made for an ideal holiday.

Alternatively, try Sicily but fly to the East Coast University city of Catania (Aerlingus) and stay in Hotel Romano House (also 4*) and spend a few days in nearby Taormina. I would recommend hiring a car in Sicily as public transport is similar to home i.e. hit and miss!

I'm stuck for ideas this year so any posts are welcome. I'm looking for Sun, City Break 4 days in one and 3 days in the other. Europe is best but am considering further afield also once it stays within a reasonable budget...any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

http://www.sunway.ie/sunholidays/summer/morocco/agadir/royal-atlas-hotel#

We stayed here for a week a couple of years ago, was fabulous. Only went B&B and there's some gorgeous restaurants around, especially down by the marina. Hubby was totally apprehensive about going to Morocco but adored it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Altea is gorgeous.

I'm a Benidorm girl myself and go every year, but I took a day trip to Altea the last time and it was beautiful; very picturesque and traditionally Spanish, with quaint little houses and fabulous seafood restaurants.

Like another poster said, if you did fancy dipping your toe in the nightlife, Benidorm is only a bus trip away. :)

Fagashlil wrote: »
    http://www.sunway.ie/sunholidays/summer/morocco/agadir/royal-atlas-hotel#

We stayed here for a week a couple of years ago, was fabulous. Only went B&B and there's some gorgeous restaurants around, especially down by the marina. Hubby was totally apprehensive about going to Morocco but adored it to.

Um, for 2015, is Morocco a good place to go? I understand that it was indeed beautiful a few years ago but I think in these turbulent times, somewhere in Europe would make me "feel" safer.

Thanks for your input though - much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Chuckler wrote: »
    Um, for 2015, is Morocco a good place to go? I understand that it was indeed beautiful a few years ago but I think in these turbulent times, somewhere in Europe would make me "feel" safer.

Thanks for your input though - much appreciated

Morocco is 1000s of Km from any of the current trouble spots in Middle East / North Africa and is probably as safe a destination as any at the moment. It saw minimal activity during the Arab Spring and indeed when the small number of liberal activists saw what happened to the mainly secular uprisings in other countries, they took a big step back.

As a comparison it's a little like tourists saying they wouldn't visit the Rep of Ireland during the recent past because of what was happening in the 6 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Malta, Tuscany, Lisbon, Vienna.

wagtail99 wrote: »
    Morocco is 1000s of Km from any of the current trouble spots in Middle East / North Africa and is probably as safe a destination as any at the moment. It saw minimal activity during the Arab Spring and indeed when the small number of liberal activists saw what happened to the mainly secular uprisings in other countries, they took a big step back.

As a comparison it's a little like tourists saying they wouldn't visit the Rep of Ireland during the recent past because of what was happening in the 6 counties.

lol.......fair point! Ok, sell Morocco to me for July / August 2015 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Winnie21 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some inspiration please.... myself and partner (early 30s) are looking at holiday destinations for the summer. Will be going for two weeks and we both love sun. I know I can just google the usual but would love someone to give me ideas of what towns/places they think are nice to go to. We like sea side places preferably and like the "holiday" type places but not the €1 pint/full english breakfasts if you know what I mean. Would just love to hear your experiences of places you would recommend. Would be open to anywhere in Europe, and wouldn't totally rule out further afield either. Value is important also - middle of the road type prices.

Thanks guys! :)
    Croatia is fantastic, people lovely food fantastic and beautiful scenery. have been to both Istria (Porec) and Dubrovnik. Both are lovely but if I were to pick between them it would be Porec. Only thing is beaches not good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Chuckler wrote: »
    Hi, my wife and I went to Barcelona last Summer and highly recommend it. We stayed in a nice 4* Hotel called Hotel Barcelona for 4 nights and 3 nights in Blanes North of Barcelona. We took a Ryanair flight to Girona Airport and relied on bus from the Airport to Barcelona followed by Train to Blanes (2 hour journey) and a short Bus journey back to Girona. The split of city and beach resort made for an ideal holiday.

Alternatively, try Sicily but fly to the East Coast University city of Catania (Aerlingus) and stay in Hotel Romano House (also 4*) and spend a few days in nearby Taormina. I would recommend hiring a car in Sicily as public transport is similar to home i.e. hit and miss!

I'm stuck for ideas this year so any posts are welcome. I'm looking for Sun, City Break 4 days in one and 3 days in the other. Europe is best but am considering further afield also once it stays within a reasonable budget...any ideas?

Hi

I recommend Rome for the city part if you haven't been (it's amazing especially if you watch Roman Holiday in advance) and then getting a train south to Anzio and the ferry to Ponza. Ponza is like Capri without the tourists and designer shops though it's still full of yacht-owning rich Italians. It is really beautiful and unspoiled, the main town is gorgeous, there are lots of deserted coves and beaches. We stayed in a studio in Villa Ursula and rented mopeds to go around and also went out on a boat trip. There is nightlife but we didn't really take part apart form the daytime beach rave at Frontone. It's possibly the only place I've been where there were no other English speakers on holidays - there were some French, Germans and lots of Italians who looked like the Kennedy's darker cousins. It's very relaxed - though not super cheap. It's really easy to get to via public transport (train and ferry) but it's off the beaten track. Be prepared for yacht-envy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I recommend Crete! Went there last summer and it was fantastic! You can fly from Dublin to Chania with Ryanair. Great weather and great beaches. Lots to do.

Advertisement