Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Language Schools/Courses in South America

Options
  • 03-01-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone may have any recent experience of a good Spanish course in South America. I would like to go for 4-8weeks and the aim would be to be able to converse as opposed to an industry specific course? I've seen some which offer accommodation etc included or should I sort it out myself?

Any advice experience welcome :)

Besos
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

I would just pick a country you would like to visit, fly in as a tourist and stay in a hostel for a week. When you are there, you can call to a few schools and then go from there. You will obviously need to be in a capital or major city to have some options.
    I suppose it depends on your personality but there is little reason to pay top dollar to some place over the internet and then arrive and you might have some issues.
    Any school will definitely be able to suggest some home stays. It could be with some rich family in the suburbs whose kids go to a top school or some teachers might offer or they will tell their neighbours that someone has money for a room. It would be a nice bit of cash for them.

I lived in Ecuador and one to one classes were very cheap. I think i was paying 6/7 dollars an hour. I got on well with the teacher so stayed but if it didn't work out I would just leave. Beware that if you do one to one, two hours really is the max you and your teacher will be able to do without getting bored, tired, frustrated or whatever as it is very intense. You brain will give up at some point when you have had enough.
    Speaking as a teacher now, after two hours each of you will definitely have had enough of each other for the day.
    Do you speak any Spanish at all? Unless you are very very very dedicated and go crazy studying every night I think the best you will do is get a really good grounding in the basics in 4-8 weeks. You will be able to have some mini conversations in a controlled way but "chatting" comfortably to a random person at the bus stop takes quite a bit of time and effort as you also have the task of trying to understand the speaker - a normal person. With a teacher you will have some reference or idea what the questions are and the teacher will be very clear and know potential problems. With a passer-by, it will be more tricky to not lose the thread, especially as like us, they might use more local colloquial expressions or pronunciation.

I know it's easy for me to say just go there and figure it out but the premium price you will pay to a company over the internet might have you kicking yourself as you arrive there and later in that first week you come across several other schools in the area (any language academies will all be in a fairly central area readily accesible to tourists who decide to take some class, just like whatever dance schools are there too). These other schools might be fine too or they might not be so good due to some students just being passers by. Be bold and ask to come to a trial class or just limit yourself to one week. Renew if you are happy. Do they give homework? Do you have to buy books? Do they just photocopy everything. If you stay in a hostel you could ask other guests if they have tried any schools. The hostel owner probably is friends is one of the schools so that recommendation may be a bit suspect but have a look.

You might meet some interesting people in group classes and can go do stuff together or you might want to just knuckle down and do one to one for a while.

Whichever way you go, DO travel, Do enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elgirl

Thanks for the advice - the above is very helpful - plans were sidetracked but now back on track. Need to take the plunge!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

Hey there,

Colombia might be a good option, given the ridiculously low peso right now. A few years ago, when I was studying, I signed up for the 8 week - Spanish for foreigners course in the Universidad Nacional in Bogota. If the price I paid back then is the same now, it works out as about 170 euro (given the time since I did it, I'd budget 200). This is for two hours per-day Monday to Friday, 4pm to 6pm if I remember correctly.

In the present, a one-on-one spanish class will be about 15 euro for 90 minutes.

An apartment in the general area of the university will be about a 175-250 euro month, depending on what you are looking for.

You can even pick up teaching classes yourself pretty easily, with or without experience. I wouldn't accept anything less than 15 euro a class. It sounds low, but the peso is really really weak right now, and you could probably get by pretty comfortably (without dipping in to your savings) working around 25 hours per week.

Hope this is of some help.

Advertisement