Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thing is, they've already spunked a load of money into the first team, so at least initially it seems that they wanted to make us more competitive as a priority. It didn't work, obviously. So do they try again, or resign themselves, and the club, to being a top 8 side while the rebuilding work goes on elsewhere in the club?
    I wouldn't say resign ourselves to being top 8 but I certainly wouldn't mind being out of the champions league for another season while we try to bring in young talent and also bring players through from our underage setup.

My point is, if they're in it for the long haul then why splooge all the cash in one transfer window - they'll be looking to spend wisely when we do spend rather than go nuts in an attempt to change the clubs fortunes in one or two transfer windows.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't really see how Cryuff would be suitable to a dof role at Liverpool. Maybe there is to be a redefinition of the role though, and transfer negotiations would fall back more under Ian Ayre's remit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thing is, they've already spunked a load of money into the first team, so at least initially it seems that they wanted to make us more competitive as a priority. It didn't work, obviously. So do they try again, or resign themselves, and the club, to being a top 8 side while the rebuilding work goes on elsewhere in the club?

They also recouped a lot of money from players sales.....just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

delw wrote: »
    Cruyff would be a big attraction for footballers imo but could he also attract Guardiola if Kenny was to step aside

We are a huge club but the reality is the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho, these sort of managers crave the European cup and they would have to be thinking long term to get involved with us.

Hand on heart right now i'd have Benitez back before all others if Kenny steps aside because he is the best available at this moment.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Was going to say this but figured it may lead to a talk on NS - those dreaded two words!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

PaulieC wrote: »
    My point is, if they're in it for the long haul then why splooge all the cash in one transfer window - they'll be looking to spend wisely when we do spend rather than go nuts in an attempt to change the clubs fortunes in one or two transfer windows.
    I agree. I'm just saying that initially they DID try to go nuts rather than the long term approach, and it backfired badly. Personally, I think they need to correct some of these mistakes at the very least irrespective of any long term plans.

On the subject of Cruyff being seen as someone to come in and revamp things totally, didn't Wener say yesterday that they already have a strategy in place and that they need someone to come in and implement it? So I'm not sure any new DoF will have carte blanche.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Yeah, as I said above, and many times before.

Didn't this time as it was irrelevant to the point I wasn't quite making clearly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Might be controversial but, to be honest, if building work began on a new stadium this summer I wouldn't give a **** if we did nothing in the transfer market.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Might be controversial but, to be honest, if building work began on a new stadium this summer I wouldn't give a **** if we did nothing in the transfer market.

Lot of talk of just redeveloping Anfield though is'nt there. Read that the club are installing big screens akin to what Spurs have in the ground this Summer. Not sure what to make of that but i'd say it's just a revenue raising measure with adverts running on them. One way or another we are in dire need of more seats for our fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jayob10 wrote: »
    this is amazing stuff, and not necessarily in a good way

Can anyone shed some light on what he would bring to the table apart from his name?

Whats his expertise? Apart from being a general p*ick wherever he goes?

I'm baffled. Its as if FSG took out there book of football history and just chose a legendary name.

Maybe i'm missing something, what has he specifically done in a role like this before? rather than act as an honourary president kind of thing?

Are you serious? What would Johann Cruyff bring to the table? As a player, he helped create possibly the greatest national team ever, and revolutionised football. As a manager, he assembled Barca's dream team, possibly the greatest club team ever and the foundation and the philosophy for the greatest club team in history.

If FSG want to implement the Ajax/Barca school which is dominating football, there's no better man.

• Advertisement

I agree. I'm just saying that initially they DID try to go nuts rather than the long term approach, and it backfired badly. Personally, I think they need to correct some of these mistakes at the very least irrespective of any long term plans.

On the subject of Cruyff being seen as someone to come in and revamp things totally, didn't Wener say yesterday that they already have a strategy in place and that they need someone to come in and implement it? So I'm not sure any new DoF will have carte blanche.
    I honestly think they attempted to be somewhat aggressive in the market to show fans that they do mean business and aren't afraid to weigh in financially - if they took over and we had only brought in one or two players then we would have been wondering if this crowd were just in it for themselves and not looking to invest.

That said we did have a number of leaks to plug in our first team ship - LB, Striker, LW, RW and CM all needed work so in a way they were in a tough spot starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Are you serious? What would Johann Cruyff bring to the table? As a player, he helped create possibly the greatest national team ever, and revolutionised football. As a manager, he assembled Barca's dream team, possibly the greatest club team ever and the foundation and the philosophy for the greatest club team in history.

If FSG want to implement the Ajax/Barca school which is dominating football, there's no better man.

The only thing is that all these teams had the players to adopt the philosophy.

We currently have players like Adam, Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Kuyt, Spearing etc. who are miles away from that philosophy. They are all very rigid players. Most have been signed very recently.

They are more suited to Sam Alardyce/Stoke City style philosophy than the Barcelona philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

My team for tomorrow:

Jones

Johnson Skyrtel Agger Enrique

Spearing Henderson

Kuyt Gerrard Suarez

Carroll

And a nice 3-1 win for the reds. Carroll to get one. Gerrard Penalty, and Skyrtel to open the scoring.

FACT!

PaulieC wrote: »
    we did have a number of leaks to plug in our first team ship - LB, Striker, LW, RW and CM all needed work so in a way they were in a tough spot starting out.
    A fair point, well made. Just a pity that some of the leaks were plugged with marbles :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

djPSB wrote: »

We currently have players like Adam, Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Kuyt, Spearing etc. who are miles away from that philosophy. They are all very rigid players. Most have been signed very recently.

They are more suited to Sam Alardyce/Stoke City style philosophy than the Barcelona philosophy.
    Careful, if West Ham don't go up Sam might be available :eek: :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

djPSB wrote: »

Disagree over Henderson - more intelligent footballer than the rest of those names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have a feeling that Carragher and Spearing will start, and if Kelly is available then I expect him to play as well.

Kenny tends to load up on local/localish players when playing Everton.

Gerrrard, Carragher, Kelly, and Spearing all started against Everton in the league as well

Daemonic wrote: »
    Careful, if West Ham don't go up Sam might be available :eek: :( :pac:
    We're no Inter or Real Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

G.K. wrote: »
    Disagree over Henderson - more intelligent footballer than the rest of those names.

Very impressive at right back the other night.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Very impressive at right back the other night.

Agreed. I don't get why people keep saying Henderson is a failure of a signing under Kenny (same goes for Carroll). He is still young and imo has shown a lot of good signs in his short time at the club. 20m might seem like a bit of a bargain in a few years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

This seems quite fanciful stuff from Tomkins surely?

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/04/moneyball-statistics-and-damien-comolli/

Opr

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't get why people keep saying Henderson is a failure of a signing under Kenny (same goes for Carroll). He is still young and imo has shown a lot of good signs in his short time at the club. 20m might seem like a bit of a bargain in a few years time.

They have been called failures to date, which I think is pretty accurate.

Neither have been overly impressive this season, and although Henderson was good at RB in the last game, his poor games or games that he has hidden in outnumber his good games probably 5 or 6 to 1.

I do think that he has more potential (in terms of fitting into a Liverpool team) than Carroll though.

£16m-£20m for Henderson might seem a fair price in a number of years, but this season it has been a first team player price for a reserve level player.

People talk about his age, but look at the amount of first team experience Henderson already has to his name for Liverpool and Sunderland, then compare him to a player of the same age with far less first team experience like Kelly, or a younger player with less first team experience like Shelvey and Henderson looks quite some distance between those two in pretty much every department.

Does anyone think that Kelly or Shelvey could be sold in the morning for £16 to £20m? I doubt it, yet both already look far better players in their positions than the player whose ability and potential was valued on the same level as a senior pro.

He might come good, and I hope he does to be honest, but to date he has been a let down in terms of heart, effectiveness, link play, team play and individual play more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have a feeling that Carragher and Spearing will start, and if Kelly is available then I expect him to play as well.

Gerrrard, Carragher, Kelly, and Spearing all started against Everton in the league as well

Who would he leave out for Carragher though?

I think the Skrtel/Agger partnership has done so well this season that it'd be lunacy not to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

he'll probably play him in DM again.

Blatter wrote: »
    Who would he leave out for Carragher though?

I think the Skrtel/Agger partnership has done so well this season that it'd be lunacy not to play them.

Agger and Skrtel would be my choice as well, and Carragher would not even be on my bench as I would have Coates there. But I think that heart rules head sometimes with some of the team selections this season.

Hope I am wrong though and it is Skrtel/Agger tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A

Skagger?

EDIT: Already been done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

opr wrote: »
    This seems quite fanciful stuff from Tomkins surely?

Opr

If you had no knowledge of football and read one of his articles you would think we're one ov the greatest teams in the world. He really gets on my tits.

noodler wrote: »
    Skagger?

EDIT: Already been done?

Skragger sounds better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I think Henderson may have benefited in the last game because he suddenly had a clearly defined role, you're RB, mark their LW and exploit the space in front of you when you get the ball. He looked decent gettng forward because like Johnson he had space to run into.

Some players thrive in a free role, he may be one of those that needs to be given a defined role.

• Advertisement

If you had no knowledge of football and read one of his articles you would think we're one ov the greatest teams in the world. He really gets on my tits.

In fairness it's actually written by Andrew Beasley for his site. The thing is though the article is implying Kenny has team tactics dictated to him to a certain extent which is why we seen the shift away from the kind of football we seen towards the back end of last season to the current season.
    Regarding the apparent switch in tactics from last season to this, my personal theory is that the stats Comolli provided showed that playing as we have in this campaign would be more successful, so he convinced FSG and Dalglish that this was the way to go. As the tactics have in fact proved less successful than last season, Comolli was sacked whilst Dalglish remains.

That’s not to say that I think Comolli has picked the tactics and the players entirely on his own with Dalglish as a figurehead; far from it. But I do think that he could easily have made a convincing argument to a board with a history of using statistics to their benefit, and that Dalglish could have bought in to it too.

The acid test for my theory will obviously be how Liverpool play in the future; if the Reds revert to the type of football that lead them to be the third best team in the division during Dalglish’s tenure last season, and with similar results, then the decision to dump Comolli will be justified. It’s a big ‘if’ at this point though.

The numbers from last season and this one indicate a complete shift in philosophy based on the soccermetrics ideas of how to win a football game. I have to say I find it very hard to buy into the idea that Kenny has let anyone dictate to him on first team issues.

Opr

Daemonic wrote: »
    I think Henderson may have benefited in the last game because he suddenly had a clearly defined role, you're RB, mark their LW and exploit the space in front of you when you get the ball. He looked decent gettng forward because like Johnson he had space to run into.

Some players thrive in a free role, he may be one of those that needs to be given a defined role.

Would agree with this. I think he would be better as a cog than in a free role. I don't think the guy has good game intelligence at all, and struggles badly when he has to come up with something himself or anticipate something.

But put him in a role which has been clearly defined that allows him to operate within a narrow range of parameters,and he may well be an asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They have been called failures to date, which I think is pretty accurate.

Neither have been overly impressive this season, and although Henderson was good at RB in the last game, his poor games or games that he has hidden in outnumber his good games probably 5 or 6 to 1.

I do think that he has more potential (in terms of fitting into a Liverpool team) than Carroll though.

£16m-£20m for Henderson might seem a fair price in a number of years, but this season it has been a first team player price for a reserve level player.

People talk about his age, but look at the amount of first team experience Henderson already has to his name for Liverpool and Sunderland, then compare him to a player of the same age with far less first team experience like Kelly, or a younger player with less first team experience like Shelvey and Henderson looks quite some distance between those two in pretty much every department.

Does anyone think that Kelly or Shelvey could be sold in the morning for £16 to £20m? I doubt it, yet both already look far better players in their positions than the player whose ability and potential was valued on the same level as a senior pro.

He might come good, and I hope he does to be honest, but to date he has been a let down in terms of heart, effectiveness, link play, team play and individual play more often than not.

I agree the price paid for him was probably 5-6 million too high. My biggest concern with him is the lack of desire or heart that he has shown in the majority of the games but he showed that he can play with some the other night and now he needs to display it on a regular basis.
    His lack of physicality and effectiveness in tackling is a major worry if CM is meant to be his ideal position.

The reason why I said he played well at right back was earlier someone said he was too rigid but he has shown he can play in 3 positions or can least do a job there.

I think it's harsh to give a verdict on him yet. As you said he isn't a first teamer, yet, and it has showed over the course of the season. The fee paid for him wasn't his fault and out of the signings made during the summer he will prove to be the best one in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Henderson had come through the youth ranks at Liverpool and you were now looking to sell him, what would be a fair price ? Imo absolute max of 8million, and I doubt anyone would bite at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Agger and Skrtel would be my choice as well, and Carragher would not even be on my bench as I would have Coates there. But I think that heart rules head sometimes with some of the team selections this season.

I wouldn't worry about it Kess, I'd be gobsmacked if both Agger and Skrtel don't start tomorrow.

You're already halfway to victory with those two starting, probably your two most vital players this season. When either one is missing, the negative impact it has on the team is ridiculous especially Agger.

In fairness it's actually written by Andrew Beasley for his site. The thing is though the article is implying Kenny has team tactics dictated to him to a certain extent which is why we seen the shift away from the kind of football we seen towards the back end of last season to the current season.

The numbers from last season and this one indicate a complete shift in philosophy based on the soccermetrics ideas of how to win a football game. I have to say I find it very hard to buy into the idea that Kenny has let anyone dictate to him on first team issues.

Opr

It reads a lot like a Tomkins article anyway, pie in the sky stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Team for tomorrow will be:

Gulacsi
    Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
    Spearing
    Henderson Gerrard Downing
    Suarez Carroll

Jones Carragher Aurelio Shelvey Maxi Kuyt Bellamy

When Dalglish took over last year he dropped Jones as sub keeper and promoted Gulacsi to the position. Gulacsi will also have a lot more game time this season so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start ahead of Jones

Gulacsi hasn't played a game in over two months. He was being kept out of the hull team by a loan goalkeeper from Arsenal.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The team announced already?

If Kennys heart rules his head in this one, I'd be a little concerned.

Gulacsi hasn't played a game in over two months. He was being kept out of the hull team by a loan goalkeeper from Arsenal.

Opr
    Gulacsi came off injured on NY Eve and didn't regain his place from Mannone who came in from Arsenal during the injury period, Gulacsi still has a lot more recent action than Jones. I have never liked the look of Jones and he looked all over the place on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The team announced already?

If Kennys heart rules his head in this one, I'd be a little concerned.

I'm concerned no matter what team we put out tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just read this blog about the Barca youth setup. Not entirely relevant to Liverpool but its something that Opr and others have mentioned a few times. Its an interview with Marti Perarnau who has studied La Masia, and even Liverpools academy as mentioned later in the article.

Found it interesting that he says Barcelona pay no dividend to the physicality or height of a player, its all about technique and awareness.

Edit: Heres the link to Blogs homepage. Just noticed that if you scroll downs theres an interview with Segura about Liverpools academy also.
    http://www.blueprintforfootball.com/
    There are few clubs as fascinating as Barcelona FC. Not only do they play the best football on the planet but they've been incredibly successful with it. Yet the real admiration for them does not stem from that but from the make up of their team that regularly includes some seven or eight players who have been with the club since childhood.

Barcelona's success in this respect is often attributed to a good youth system but, whilst fundamentally true, that is a simplistic way of looking at it. Barcelona have managed to do what they have because they developed a philosophy and weaved it into every aspect of how their football club is run: scouting, training, recruiting of players, everything is driven by a common vision.

Most of this work is carried out at La Masia, where Barcelona have established their cantera. Many have made the trek there to try and analyse the reasons for their success, but few have done so with as much interest as Marti Perarnau.

An athlete who represented Spain in the high jump in the 1980 Olympics, Perarnau subsequently turned to sports journalism authoring a number of books including Senda de Campeones (Path of Champions) where he looked in detail into what goes on at La Masia to ensure that so many players graduate to regulars at the Nou Camp.

Barring those who actually run La Masia, he is perhaps the most knowledgeable person to talk to about what has made Barcelona so successful.
    Barring those who actually run La Masia, he is perhaps the most knowledgeable person to talk to about what has made Barcelona so successful.

How did your interest in player development begin?
    I have always been very interested in the careers of young players to see whether they can fulfill their early promise or, in case they don't succeed, try to find out the reasons for that failure. In recent years I have been interested primarily in the work of the major Spanish canteras: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad.

When did you decide you wanted to write a book about this and how much help did you find?
    In summer 2010 I made some special reports for a sports newspaper on the most promising then Barça B: Thiago Alcantara, Marc Bartra, Sergi Roberto, Andreu Fontàs, Marc Muniesa. After I had finished this report I realized I had a lot of good material, enough to structure a possible book on how players in Barca's La Masia are trained. I found a neutral attitude at the club: they were outstanding in allowing me access to some information, but also quite reluctant about how young people were trained. I felt fine with this as Barca were only seeking to protect their kids. They do not want the pressure of the media distracting them from their path.

How did this production line start?
    In the 70's through Laureano Ruiz, a Barca manager who was tasked with sowing the seeds. Of course, over the last 40 years football has changed a lot but along the way Barca took some important decisions. With the arrival of Johan Cruyff in 1988, Barca's youth system was given a phenomenal boost: he implanted a unique idea of play, a training model, Established the kind of player needed...in short, the main features and characteristics of a Barca player today.

What makes it so special?
    It is a sum of things: the idea, the model, teachers who have spent years and years leading the way, the special type of the player, and the institutional will of the club to fill the first team with players from their youth system.

How important are the results?
    A lot. Pep Guardiola says that you cannot separate training and competition. You aren't there not to lose: you are there to win. Winning or losing is part of the comprehensive education and the club looks to win always, but through a set way to play. In this they are ruthless: you have to do everything possible to win, but with an undisputed way of play.

What are the facilities like?
    The Ciudad Deportiva Joan Gamper (the name of club's founder) contains all of the football club, from Guardiola's first team to the kids' U8 team and the women's teams. There are a dozen training pitches and complementary facilities that are occupied almost every day of the season.

How are the players chosen? What skills do you want?
    Technique, tactical intelligence and mental speed. These three traits are the ones that matter. Players with very good technique, who are able to understand the game (not just play, but also understand it) and speed of mind.

Is physical strength and height given much importance?
    None. Barca does not care about the size of the player. The three parameters I mentioned are the only ones that matter. Not even if you stand out during a tournament. Indeed, Barcelona often signe kids that have gone unnoticed in a tournament, but have those three potential features.

What is the training like? What aspects are given more importance? Technique? Tactics?
    By the time they reach the first team a player will be already have practiced over 10,000 hours of training and games: games of position, piggy in the middle, hours and hours of trying not to lose the ball and great technique. The tactic becomes second nature and players learn that this is how they see the game.

A lot of clubs to produce good players who cannot make the final step and fully realize its potential. However, Barçelona seem to do it over and over again. How do they manage it?
    Pep Guardiola says that there aren’t any major differences between the Barca cantera and others. The difference that exists is that the club uses its homegrown and makes them play with the first team. The latter is true: there is a great boldness in the entire club. They are willing to do almost anything for young people to succeed. That said I do see that there are differences with other canteras.

Although you can never generalize, despite the talent and success is no arrogance among the Barcelona players. People like Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique and Puyol all seem very humble. Is this down to the way they are brought up at La Masia? What factors contribute to this?
    There is a very strong desire at La Masia to educate all young people holistically, not simply to focus football. This is done in basic values such as effort and work, solidarity and commitment to the group, honesty and cleanliness in how they behave, humility in success and sobriety. Of course, this is what they try to teach but everyone takes what he wants from these values. Not all are like Xavi and Iniesta, but overall there is a high rate of well educated people.

There is much talk about how the players train, but what about thecoaches? How are they chosen and prepared?
    This is a very important aspect for the future. They are chosen by club managers among graduates in physical education and football coaches. They hire those who seem better trained and talented, but in recent times the club has gone a step further and also set up a sort of school for coaches. It will not be easy to achieve, but they will try.

Inevitably, there will be clubs that try to copy the what Barca have done, but in my opinion, few will succeed unless they have a philosophy of play of their own. You can take something that the club is doing and copy it, but you have to put in their own ingredients. Do you agree?
    Absolutely. The basic aspects of Barca’s system was to have an idea of how to play the game, create a training model, find the type of player that adapts to it and spend many years and energies in this operation. But each club should put in the pot their own ingredients, no doubt.

One way of clubs have tried to copy Barca is by hiring their youth coaches: Luis Enrique in Rome, Josep Colmer in Qatar, Rodolfo Borrell at Liverpool. Do you see this as a problem?
    I think they are very different attempts from one another. Perhaps the most interesting one is that of Liverpool, where there are two former Barca coaches in Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell, who lead the Academy and reserves. However they do so with a style of play and training model that is adapted to their realities and needs. It is a very interesting experience to observe.

This summer, Barcelona let a player like Oriol Romeu go. Why, given his talent? Have they reached a stage where they can start exporting players?
    First of all, not all players fit into the first team. There is a significant over flow of talent and some promising player should be transferred. Secondly, Guardiola did not seem very enthusiastic about Romeu: he prefers other midfielders.

Historically, teams haven’t managed to keep producing generation after generation of great players. Do you think Barca will succeed? If so, how and why do you think so?
    Probably yes, but another Messi, Xavi or Iniesta is practically impossible. However there are very talented players aged between 14 and 19, boys who are very promising. Not only that but every year refinements are made to make the system better and more sustainable. A great future for Barça’s youth players is predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Dotsey wrote: »
    Team for tomorrow will be:

Gulacsi
    Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
    Spearing
    Henderson Gerrard Downing
    Suarez Carroll

Jones Carragher Aurelio Shelvey Maxi Kuyt Bellamy

When Dalglish took over last year he dropped Jones as sub keeper and promoted Gulacsi to the position. Gulacsi will also have a lot more game time this season so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start ahead of Jones

I would start Maxi, he is better statrting a game as I would see his influence from the bench being realtively limited.

It is definitely a hard game to call, given the neutral venue etc etc

Gulacsi came off injured on NY Eve and didn't regain his place from Mannone who came in from Arsenal during the injury period, Gulacsi still has a lot more recent action than Jones. I have never liked the look of Jones and he looked all over the place on Tuesday

Gulacsi did come off injured in a game but he actually made the mistake if I recall correctly for the goal that night. That was his second spell in the side which he had rightly lost in the first place due to awful form. I think he only regained it as the alternative keeper got injured.

Gulacsi was very highly thought of at both Liverpool and at youth international level. I followed him for a while after he moved to Hull. The guy looked scared to death during his early games. He made some awful errors, I remember particular a leeds game when he was at fault directly for a couple of the goals. Just looked like he wasn't ready to make the step to such a compeitive level and then obviously the mistakes destroyed his convidence further. He may even look the better keeper than Jones in training but not sure I would be trusting him with the occasion of a FA semi final.

Opr

Gulacsi did come off injured in a game but he actually made the mistake if I recall correctly for the goal that night. That was his second spell in the side which he had rightly lost in the first place due to awful form.

Gulacsi was very highly thought of at both Liverpool and at youth international level. I followed him for a while after he moved to Hull. The guy looked scared to death during his early games. He made some awful errors, I remember particular a leeds game when he was at fault directly for a couple of the goals. Just looked like he wasn't ready to make the step to such a compeitive level and then obviously the mistakes destroyed his convidence further. He may even look the better keeper than Jones in training but not sure I would be trusting him with the occasion of a FA semi final.

Opr
    I'm not sure I'd trust either with the occasion to be honest. I haven't followed Hull much I just know from looking at Gulacsi previously with our own reserve and underage teams he looked excellent and was highly thought of by the staff, hence why Jones was dropped from the bench for him last season and they sought the need to bring in Doni aswell is an indication they think Jones ain't upto much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads, Pool are destined to go on a run now. I finally sold Enrique and Reina is suspended from my FPL so expect a clean sheet and at least 2 assists from the flamboyant Valenciano fullback for the next few games.

Not too sure about the FA cup though!

I'm not sure I'd trust either with the occasion to be honest. I haven't followed Hull much I just know from looking at Gulacsi previously with our own reserve and underage teams he looked excellent and was highly thought of by the staff, hence why Jones was dropped from the bench for him last season and they sought the need to bring in Doni aswell is an indication they think Jones ain't upto much

I had high hopes for the lad and still do as he's only 21 but certainly I would be going with Jones tomorrow.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I had high hopes for the lad and still do as he's only 21 but certainly I would be going with Jones tomorrow.

Opr

likewise, id be shocked if Kenny started Gulacsi tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Johnson and Agger weren't fit at the time. The question was whether to start Coates over Carra. The only way I see Carra starting is if Kenny does something weird like go Carra Skrtel Agger Johnson.

Didnt Jones play in some big Uefa cup games for Boro, some decent experience there at least. He was playing it way too cool the other night though, hopefully somebody had a word with him, hopefully Doni i reckon he's Yodaesque in his wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not but its a fascinating look into Moneyball and Comolli's role at Liverpool. If the author's assumptions are correct.

I'd strongly recommend reading this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement