Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spot Fix Felt Roof

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 4 yr old got up on to the shed roof and had a whale of a time picking felt off it wherever he could.

What is the best way to spot fix the roof? Is it necessary to use felt or is there any other way to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Esho wrote: »
    Hi,

My 4 yr old got up on to the shed roof and had a whale of a time picking felt off it wherever he could.

What is the best way to spot fix the roof? Is it necessary to use felt or is there any other way to do it?

The first thing to do is make sure your 4 year old child never gets on the roof again or you may have much bigger problems than a hole in the felt.:mad:

Anyway, take a trip to your local hardware store and they should have temporary felt fix to take you to next summer when you can repair the holes with felt strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

True, I nearly died.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Ive limited experience with this but id say it depends on the damage....
    if there's lots of holes or places water will get in might be as well to put down new sheets.

If its one or two a tin of bitumin might do the trick.

Had a hole in our extension (about 2 or 3 inches long half inch wide) and i covered it with a square of torch on felt. Then i went round the edges with bitumin to be sure - then i did same again with a bigger piece of felt to be sure to be sure.

But you can use the bitumin on its own. The tin says for bigger gaps you could put a mesh over it and put the bitumin on. They have them in any hardware shop.

That's a good idea, thanks for that.
    I have some aluminium paint which could work maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Get some good felt from a supplier,the hardware stuff isn't worth a crap and you'll be just up there fixing it again.

A good 3mm roll wont break the bank and you'll have loads left over in case it happens again.
    Step by step

Get the patch to size
    Place it in the right position
    Roll it back about halfway
    Torch it from lap to lap and try to make it bleed on the edges
    Press around the edges softly but firmly
    Do the same for the other half

If you find you have fish mouths around the edges try and trowel lightly over the edges.

That's it and should last years.

Or maybe get a roofer in,shouldn't be too expensive for a patch.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. There's a roofer doing some work up the road, I'll price him how much to nip down. May be cheaper than buying a blow torch and felt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Esho wrote: »
    Thanks for that. There's a roofer doing some work up the road, I'll price him how much to nip down. May be cheaper than buying a blow torch and felt.

Yeah do that,its the type of job that would take longer to set up than to actually do so I wouldn't expect any type of crazy estimate.

Thanks for that Celly, and if not I'll invest in the blowtorch and a roll of felt. Not like it'll never be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I would think if a 4 year old could pick off bits of the roof its seen its day and needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

How long would a felt roof last In Irish weather conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian Flat Roofing

Have you thought about fully adhering a sheet of ClassicBond rubber to the roof? no joints and cant be picked at? alot of hardwear stores are starting to stock it or you can buy it direct,easier to fit than felt and longer lasting....just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks for the posts. It was raining by the time I got round to it, so went with Jimmy M's suggestion and got a can of Tek 7 mastic. There wasn't a whole lot to fix up, but its showing lots of signs of wear ( 7-8 years old) and will need to be replaced come better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Be sure to get a company that will stand over there work as insurance company's dont cover felt roof's any more

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian Flat Roofing

As regards to the video posted would it not be better to feature a ClassicBond supplier from Ireland rather than Britain? Roofing Systems cover all of Ireland.

Advertisement