Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acoustic guitar for beginner

• 29-10-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar for beginners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

depends what you want to achieve.

if you intend to still be playing in 3 months time then buy the best guitar you can possibly afford.

cheap rubbish wont stay in tune, will have sharp fret ends that'll cut your hands to ribbons and an action so high that you'll need G clamps to press the strings down

BUT

in a shop a while back I did put a £1600 Yairi back on it's hook to play a £100 nameless wonder as it was a nicer guitar to play.

same advice as you should always get....

take a friend who plays well and visit every shop in town and see what they have.

ESPECIALLY used.....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

If you can afford something by Yamaha, they make decent cheapish guitars. But as mentioned, it depends on your budget really and if you think you're still going to be using it in 3 months time. Realistically, most beginners won't feel much of a difference between cheap/expensive guitars, so I think it it more about budget at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I started with a Yamaha F310, very nice guitar for good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Thanks for the input guys, I might have a look around at the weekend and post up a few potential purchases here to see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

It might sounds a bit silly, but it's always good to get something you like the look of too. It's always easier to pick up a guitar that you actually like I find!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

It might sounds a bit silly, but it's always good to get something you like the look of too. It's always easier to pick up a guitar that you actually like I find!

That's true too. So many different factors can and will occur in the progression of time, but the main thing for a beginner/re-starter is to get going, and to get a guitar that's good to learn on.

I play a few instruments, but a good while ago I bought an electro-acoustic guitar to gig with. For the price it sounded very good miked up and good action, sound enough construction.

BUT, unplugged, it sounded real scratchy, so much so that I couldn't bear to pick it up. And as a result, I stopped playing acoustic for a good while.

Back on the wagon now.

Advertisement