Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any good apps for teaching with a tablet??

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using an android tablet in the classroom, I just got one for my birthday and would love to be able to utilize it in my teaching and make life a little easier!
    I'd like to be able to connect it wirelessly to the projector and be able to use it as a portable whiteboard. Any ideas? Any suggestions for useful apps/games would be much appreciated also!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

TeacherKit
    Edmodo
    Keynote
    There is one that can connect to projector but can't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

It depends a lot on the subjects you're teaching...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

Thanks! I've got edmodo and will have a look at the others. English is my main subject, with a bit of RE thrown in. would like to be able to annotate and plan essays in real time for some classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Been using the iPad For three years in school and my kids use them too.

Videolicious
    Educreations
    Slide shark

There are loads, just type in keywords for whatever topic you're doing and you can be sure there's a free app for it. Are you part of INOTE? Their website should have plenty of English apps.

I have my iPad connected to the data projector, wirelessly through Apple TV. Cost me a few quid but well worth the investment. I can be down the back with the kids and change what's up on the screen. Also, the kids can tap into my Apple TV to show these work on the board.

For any science teachers with iPads, there are loads of brilliant apps to use in class. I was very dubious about ict in school but the kids love learning using the iPads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

kronsich wrote: »
    For any science teachers with iPads, there are loads of brilliant apps to use in class. I was very dubious about ict in school but the kids love learning using the iPads!

Don't use ipads in my school unfortunately. Out of curiosity what science apps do you recommend? Might look at trying to incorporate some of them myself.

The exploratorium apps are really good for physics.
    3D brain, 3D heart, nova elements, ptable, goReact, solve outbreak. Virtual heart, etc, etc.

To be honest, I just search in the play store when I start a topic and see if there's anything that could supplement the learning. Most of these apps would be grand if the kids haven't got iPads. Just put them up on the screen and give pass your iPad around and gives the kids a go!

Kids can work on Edmodo or prezi at home, send you presentations and use your iPad to present their learning.

Te iPads are fantastic but it's then a nightmare when ya want the kids to put them away and do some writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

any recommendations on an app for history?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Idoceo is a great app for planning and using as a grade book

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I find Dropbox is great if you want to type things out at home and then have them in school on your ipad.

I use ScanDoc a lot to take pictures of students' work, sometimes take photos of pages of books. Recently I've just started taking photos using the normal camera APp and then making photo albums as it's much quicker. Then I have a folder of pictures of certain activities so I have a lot of them I can use for whatever topic I'm on.

Many Apps can be hard to use in the classroom, especially if only half the kids have ipads, but ones like Busuu for languages can be good for them to use at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yeah, taking images is great.
    Especially for long calculations etc like Kc constants.
    I do it out, take a photo and then project it on the screen after giving them some time to do it.

Check out the pdst website. They have made some big improvements over the summer. The resource section for the science subjects is brilliant!

Advertisement