Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE Teacher- Need ALL Your Help Please

Options
  • 02-09-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi there,

Im pursuing my career as a Physical Education Teacher in Secondary Schools but the road to it is far from simple.

Im 22yrs old and have two degrees. In 2008/09 i achieved an ordinary degree in Business Studies in Recreation & Leisure and more recently 2009/10 i achieved a 2:2 Hons Degree in Business Studies (Leisure Stream). My background in the sporting aspect is good. I am an active member of a hurling club, every summer i teach people from the yrs of 6-14yrs hurling as part of GAA Cúl Camps.

More recently i have started (Physical Education) Work experience in a secondary school where i have been told i can stay as long as i want (without pay of course). To me this is great as gaining any relevant experience is great but applying for a qualification in Physical Education is hard. In both my degrees i have studied we have covered teaching education/athletics/rugby/swimming you name it.

I am enquiring to numerous boards/colleges as to what to do next but there responses are far but relevant.

Does anyone out there know (or know of someone) what is the best way to approach getting the qualification i need. I dont mind if i have to go to the UK (although iv been told the Teaching Council are hard to deal with in terms of getting the UK qualification recognised in the Rep Of Eire)

All your help and thought would be seriously a massive help as i cant seem to find a way forward.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sorry I'm not much use (just responding to your PM) as my expertise would be more primary based. Hopefully one of the secondary gang here might steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

It sounds like you may have gone to IT Sligo. I did this same degree but graduated in 2006.

If so your best person for information is who ever the head of the course is now. I know that in 2006 UL were starting a post grad in P.E teaching but at that time the Rec and Leisure course wasn't recognised on it but i think it may be now. Right now its difficult to get into the Pgde courses as you would be applying as a business grad and your grades need to be pretty good because their taking away the teaching hours rule, or so im told.

England is an option i also know people that went there to get their P.E teaching post grad, but i cant help you on the specifics of this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

cassi wrote: »
    It sounds like you may have gone to IT Sligo. I did this same degree but graduated in 2006.

If so your best person for information is who ever the head of the course is now. I know that in 2006 UL were starting a post grad in P.E teaching but at that time the Rec and Leisure course wasn't recognised on it but i think it may be now. Right now its difficult to get into the Pgde courses as you would be applying as a business grad and your grades need to be pretty good because their taking away the teaching hours rule, or so im told.

England is an option i also know people that went there to get their P.E teaching post grad, but i cant help you on the specifics of this one.

Teaching hours are being taken away, but that's for the PAC system. I don't think UL PE postgrad is in that system (a quick look on UL's website will tell you how they accept people).

I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere in the UK to get trained. I have heard of people with unrelated degrees going to the UK and becoming PE teachers. Some have come home here to work afterwards but I'm not sure if they're officially recognised my the Teaching Council, that would be the tough bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

seanie69r wrote: »
    Hi there,

Im pursuing my career as a Physical Education Teacher in Secondary Schools but the road to it is far from simple.

Im 22yrs old and have two degrees. In 2008/09 i achieved an ordinary degree in Business Studies in Recreation & Leisure and more recently 2009/10 i achieved a 2:2 Hons Degree in Business Studies (Leisure Stream). My background in the sporting aspect is good. I am an active member of a hurling club, every summer i teach people from the yrs of 6-14yrs hurling as part of GAA Cúl Camps.

More recently i have started (Physical Education) Work experience in a secondary school where i have been told i can stay as long as i want (without pay of course). To me this is great as gaining any relevant experience is great but applying for a qualification in Physical Education is hard. In both my degrees i have studied we have covered teaching education/athletics/rugby/swimming you name it.

I am enquiring to numerous boards/colleges as to what to do next but there responses are far but relevant.

Does anyone out there know (or know of someone) what is the best way to approach getting the qualification i need. I dont mind if i have to go to the UK (although iv been told the Teaching Council are hard to deal with in terms of getting the UK qualification recognised in the Rep Of Eire)

All your help and thought would be seriously a massive help as i cant seem to find a way forward.:confused::confused:

If you are interested in working in England my own experiences may be relevant. I retrained as a teacher ten years ago in London and gained QTS whilst working in a secondary school (i.e. I started as an unqualified graduate). I got a job here and moved back a few years ago. The paperwork to gain recognition by the Teaching Council took a while, but the process was probably complicated because I had only QTS and not a full PGCE and at that time the Teaching Council was not properly up and running. I had to pass the Structure and History Exam before I could be paid properly here. In general when dealing with the Teaching Council, get them to confirm things in writing.

I'd recommend this route - generally in the UK if the kids are tough, the staff are well looked after (or they leave, because there are plenty of jobs elsewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭seanie69r

dory wrote: »
    Teaching hours are being taken away, but that's for the PAC system. I don't think UL PE postgrad is in that system (a quick look on UL's website will tell you how they accept people).

I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere in the UK to get trained. I have heard of people with unrelated degrees going to the UK and becoming PE teachers. Some have come home here to work afterwards but I'm not sure if they're officially recognised my the Teaching Council, that would be the tough bit.

Dory, when you say they come back here to work, are you referring to them working as PE teachers??

And if they have come back working as PE teachers, is it in a primary school setting or secondary?

Thanks for your reply

• Advertisement

Hi Cassie,
    yes Roddy GAynor is head of the course,

I have found out that if i were to apply for recognition of this course to the Teaching Council (at the cost of €200) that it would more than likely not accepted.and lastly cassie what do you mean by "the teachers hour rule".

thanks also for your reply on the matter

If you are interested in working in England my own experiences may be relevant. I retrained as a teacher ten years ago in London and gained QTS whilst working in a secondary school (i.e. I started as an unqualified graduate). I got a job here and moved back a few years ago. The paperwork to gain recognition by the Teaching Council took a while, but the process was probably complicated because I had only QTS and not a full PGCE and at that time the Teaching Council was not properly up and running. I had to pass the Structure and History Exam before I could be paid properly here. In general when dealing with the Teaching Council, get them to confirm things in writing.

I'd recommend this route - generally in the UK if the kids are tough, the staff are well looked after (or they leave, because there are plenty of jobs elsewhere).

Hi windsurver

what are you teaching at present?

Yes i do not mind going to the UK (it seems like the only route at the moment) but the teaching council are apparently a pain to deal with. see the confusing situation is, will they accept me as a qualified teacher when i come back home to Ireland, or will i only be qualified to teach in UK:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Roddy's the man to give you info, the career office in the college is also helpful.

As for the teaching hours, up to this year you could use teaching experience hours to up your points for applying for PGDE courses. However now they are taking away this rule and only grades/ if you have a masters etc are considered when applying.

England is an option, I know of people went there to do their P.E teaching course. Your best bet is to ask Roddy or go to the career office and see whats on offer.

Hope that helps any bit.

Roddy's the man to give you info, the career office in the college is also helpful.

As for the teaching hours, up to this year you could use teaching experience hours to up your points for applying for PGDE courses. However now they are taking away this rule and only grades/ if you have a masters etc are considered when applying.

England is an option, I know of people went there to do their P.E teaching course. Your best bet is to ask Roddy or go to the career office and see whats on offer.

Hope that helps any bit.

Yes i will ask Roddy, thanks Cassie.

In the mean time im looking for peoples knowledge/experience and help in this matter as i am making little or no progress..

ALL your help will be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 niall1986

I am also looking to go to the UK to do my postgrad in PE over there. Can anyone recommend any colleges which are better/easier to get into and which courses are more likely to be recognised by the teaching council over here. I have an honours degree in PE from Tralee IT and a few months teaching experience in schools but I want to do my H Dip as quickly as possible as there is no jobs over here at the moment. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Yes i will ask Roddy, thanks Cassie.

In the mean time im looking for peoples knowledge/experience and help in this matter as i am making little or no progress..

ALL your help will be greatly appreciated.

can anyone out there help?!?!? much much MUCH appreciated
    sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭tomombo

Have a B.Comm and but i really want to do pe now. would teach business subjects along if i could.

I teach kids swimming and have done the odd summer camp.

would i have a realistic chance of getting into the uk programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

tomombo wrote: »
    Have a B.Comm and but i really want to do pe now. would teach business subjects along if i could.

I teach kids swimming and have done the odd summer camp.

would i have a realistic chance of getting into the uk programmes?

The quote below is from the GTTR course search page for Bangor University in Wales. Train from Holyhead to Bangor. Very popular with Irish students. Normally they require 50% of your degree to be PE related but

"Applicants with other degrees should contact us to discuss the content of their degree; we do offer an 11-16 PGCE course for those trainee teachers who have a broader content to their degree."

Bear in mind that if you get into the PE PGCE in England and qualify as a PE teacher that does not mean the Teaching Council here will automatically recognise your qualification.

The quote below is from the GTTR course search page for Bangor University in Wales. Train from Holyhead to Bangor. Very popular with Irish students. Normally they require 50% of your degree to be PE related but

"Applicants with other degrees should contact us to discuss the content of their degree; we do offer an 11-16 PGCE course for those trainee teachers who have a broader content to their degree."

Bear in mind that if you get into the PE PGCE in England and qualify as a PE teacher that does not mean the Teaching Council here will automatically recognise your qualification.
    but is it more than likely they will accept, provided you pass the irish ed exam?

but is it more than likely they will accept, provided you pass the irish ed exam?

So basically if i go and qualify in england there is a high chance you can get it recognized back here provided you pass an exam??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Two things the secondary system doesn't need any more of are PE and Business teachers. It's very hard to get work because so many have gone down the UK route due to not getting the points (something like 500) to get into UL. Also the HDIP restricted entry by business teachers a few years ago as there are too many Business teachers about. Not trying to knock you but just giving you all the information.

I know 2 ladies who have been looking for PE jobs for 8 and 4 years respectively.
    Dory, when you say they come back here to work, are you referring to them working as PE teachers??

And if they have come back working as PE teachers, is it in a primary school setting or secondary?

Thanks for your reply

There are no PE teachers at primary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

As far as I know there only non PE specific course to allow you to reg with the TC as a PE teacher is Tralee's pe stream. Some others like Rec & Leisure with a pgde allow you to reg to teach business, which as others have said is pointless at the moment.

So without the Tralee degree I dont ULs grad route would work. Otherwise starting a new undergrad in PE in the UK is probably the best bet, one with a second subject and NQT status.

And as others have said the job situation is tight.

I contacted them they basically said if you didn't have an appropriate degree then if you have one a little bit further away from the subject area you may be considered.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Two things the secondary system doesn't need any more of are PE and Business teachers. It's very hard to get work because so many have gone down the UK route due to not getting the points (something like 500) to get into UL. Also the HDIP restricted entry by business teachers a few years ago as there are too many Business teachers about. Not trying to knock you but just giving you all the information.

I know 2 ladies who have been looking for PE jobs for 8 and 4 years respectively.

There are no PE teachers at primary level.

But would I have a chance of getting a job in like anywhere as far away from Ireland as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah you'd get a job in the UK I'd imagine but the pay and conditions are nowhere near as good as here.

If you go further afield you would have to look into which countries would recognise an Irish qualification.

• Advertisement

I contacted them they basically said if you didn't have an appropriate degree then if you have one a little bit further away from the subject area you may be considered.

Thanks Tomombo, great help!!! thanks for all relevant info:)

its just a pain in the ass. Both PE teachers have said to me that i have a high standard of teaching, and its just a pity you haven't got "the piece of paper"... keep up replies please. all information to date has been really helpfull and interesting

its just a pain in the ass. Both PE teachers have said to me that i have a high standard of teaching, and its just a pity you haven't got "the piece of paper"... keep up replies please. all information to date has been really helpfull and interesting

"bump"

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Cheers lads really good info on here I'm thinking of doing a PE postgrad have a 2 2 degree in humanities. But teaching sport and working with kids of all ages is were I am at my best and where I dream of making a living. I understand work in Ireland is impossible but what are my chances of being accepted in the UK and getting work?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

You need to check with the Teaching Council whether your undergrad in humanities would be accepted to register as a pe teacher even if you could get into a PE postgrad without a sports based undergrad- which I cant see as likely.

I think you're looking at starting a new degree tbh.

Alright guys. It's been TWO YEARS SINCE I POSTED THIS.

So I left my full time job and sold my new car and went to England to pursue my dream. After working as a teaching assistant on crap money for a year and countless application forms I FINALLY got accepted into the course of my dreams. Started a PGCE in Physical Education last September which was one of the hardest most challenging years of my life. Finished two weeks ago with a 1st class post grad in PE and achieved a full time job in Birmingham as a PE teacher starting this September. 11 out of my class of 27 got jobs with 4 getting full time.

Moral of my post- if you want something so bad, do everything and anything you need to do to follow that dream. I did, it took three years but at 26 I still have many teaching years ahead.

PS- no jobs in Ireland

So basically if i go and qualify in england there is a high chance you can get it recognized back here provided you pass an exam??:eek:

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

No

Just to clarify, if you wanted to teach in Ireland would your current qualifications be accepted by the Teaching Council?. Thinking of a postgrad in Britain myself.

Advertisement