Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Kitchen

• 27-10-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm in the planning stage of converting a bedroom ennsuite into a kitchen diner area. My architect and I have come up with a layout.

The architect's advice to me though was rather than write someone a large cheque and tell them to get on with it I should source the material myself (he's drawing me up a detailed plan) cabinets, work tops , that sort of thing and get my own fitter to put it all together. He says I'll save big time! So I was thinking of visiting B&Q and IKEA this week end to see what's on offer (supply only.) However, I'm not at the buying stage yet.

Anybody gone down this road, what are the savings, and what are the pitfalls? It has been suggested to me that B&Q offer better quality than IKEA any comments

With a detailed design and measurements I'm sure there are other less known suppliers out there who would love to quote. To be quite honest I'd rather deal with a local operator than a big multi national. I live near Armagh City. Any suggestions

As always many thanks for your input

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

IKEA stuff is fine. Great guarantee. And you will definitely definitely save a good few quid going down this route as opposed to getting in the kitchen crowd to do the lot. Obvious downside is that you have to select, ensure accurate measurements ( although I guess your arch will be up to that task), arrange collection, source a fitter, etc;

Potentially BIG savings will offset the above minor issues IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Ikea any day over b&q far better units only thing is if you want to change the doors you will have to buy Ikea doors the next time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Ikea over b&q. I extended my old kitchen with a couple of b&q cabinets and they were rubbish. My new kitchen is ikea and is rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭wandererz

I've just gone through something similar myself in terms of converting an existing kitchen (in an apartment though), expanding it into the dining area and creating a breakfast bar/dining area.

I started off by designing the layout myself, putting that into google sketchup with measurements and then getting a 3D view out of it.

I then visited about a dozen different kitchen suppliers in the Dublin area until i found the one that met my needs in terms of price, how well i got on with them, how well they got on with me, how patient they were etc. etc..

Kitchen is now in, the fitters did a great job.
    While seeing it go in, i thought that i could have done it myself (having almost grown up in a furniture factory).

There turned out to be some small bits of customisation to be done which they finished in no time at all. When the stone top was delivered, there was an adjustment to be made due to the sink we selected. That was all taken care of.

There are one or two minor details but they are taking care of it without argument. A couple of doors were delivered with slight damage on them, that's being replaced. The tap is a bit wonky (off center) when installed, no problem they will replace it.

All in all it's saved me a lot of grief and heartache compared to if i had to do it myself.

My grief and heartache now lies with the plumbers/electricians etc who have to connect things.

Indeed, one of the unforeseen costs is the plastering, tiling, electrics and plumbing that go along with a new kitchen put in (as well as the cost of replacing all the appliances).

I did the initial design, got them to effect it and now can concentrate on other stuff to renovate or replace. Things such as the designer light switches that nobody else has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Hi there.

I purchased and installed my own carcasses bought from B&Q within the last 6 months for our utility room. I found the quality of them to be fine.

Definitely get yourself over to B&Q in Craigavon. They have a fairly extensive range.

Their carcasses seem to be standard sizes, as we were able to source the doors we wanted (to match our kitchen) in http://www.osdoors.com/ in Dungannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I visited B&Q today and spoke to a lady in the kitchen department. B&Q will come out to my home and do a full scale design for me, free of charge. I’ll probably take them up on that, if only to collect ideas.

There are two concerns I have and I can't get my head around them. Take a look at my favoured layout (Layout 001) and you'll see that the majority of my work surface is at the bottom of the photograph. You'll note also a window in the centre of the room.

Now here is my problem. The window you see was the old bedroom window and looking out through it there are one or two marvellous views. However, to enable the work surfaces to run smoothly from wall to wall the architect suggests replacing the current window with a smaller one BUT, here’s my problem the window is at the front of the house and matches in with another large bay window, no more than six feet away from it in my good sitting room. To put in a smaller window would, I think, leave the front of the house looking ‘odd.’

My second concern is with the working sink. Look at the drawing carefully and you’ll see that the architect has placed the sink at the end of the kitchen island but I have to say I’m not convinced that an island sink that is expected to deal with dirty dishes, pots and pans etc., is that practical. They look great in magazines and webpages but for a day to day sink, I’d have my doubts.’ Any views on sinks in islands?

If I do eventually decide to replace the window with a smaller one then I’ll move the sink from the island to the window but I’d rather not replace the window.

I’ve also attached another layout my architect has given me. (Layout 002)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I recently put in a new utility room, Ikea from start to finish, their carcass' are dirt cheap and fit together extremely solidly, the doors can be expensive but they've a great range and you can choose to suit your budget, their hanging rails are a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Whats the height from bottom of window to ground level ?

slave1 wrote: »
    I recently put in a new utility room, Ikea from start to finish, their carcass' are dirt cheap and fit together extremely solidly, the doors can be expensive but they've a great range and you can choose to suit your budget, their hanging rails are a great idea.
    Slave1 did you make use of IKEA instore design service? I've read good reports about it on other Forums. Has anybody used the service; what's your opinion. I'm hoping to see one of them next week.

As I said in a previous post B&Q will send a designer out free of charge but you have to be near the ready to go stage

Kevin

dodzy wrote: »
    Whats the height from bottom of window to ground level ?
    820mm

Hopefully some of you can help me out here. Here's a copy of a plan im interested in

VKxFOe.jpg

One of my main problems is I don't want to replace the exsisting window. My architech has suggested replacing it with
    raise ex window sill to 1.0m above FFL and provide new DG PVC window
    that's an increase of about 15cm as it is now but as it is at the front of the house the sitting room window and the new window would look out of line. Of course there is the added expense of replacing a window

I've had two thoughts. The first one was to put in a bespoke window seat. That would solve the problem of removing the window and it would give me some storage space. Perhaps deep drawers for the likes of pats and pans. The downside is that it will rob me of vital worktop space 162 cm to be percise. Here's a view of one I discovered on Houzz

bAOQpZ.png

I've also come across this idea and it would let me move my sink from the island to beside the window. you can read about it HERE

43VQJA.jpg

My two concerns at the moment are: saving the window and wondering if a worksink in an island is a good idea. I've read different views some very negative and some very positive. The island would measure 3000 x 900mm.

I'm off to see an idea designer tomorrow and I'll be taking these ideas with me.

I'd like your views on what I've shown and as always thanks for your input.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Another happy Ikea kitchen customer here. I used their in store design service (I think you have to), took it home, mulled it over, you can change it yourself on their website, go back and have another chat with them, tweak things again and get ordering.

As for your sink on the island, I agree with you that I wouldn't put it there. I think you need to decide which you stand at for longer, the hob or the sink. If you have and use a dishwasher it's likely you'll spend more time at the hob, I think it's nice to be facing out into the room while cooking. The only issue then is your extraction method and if you want a hood in the middle of your ceiling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

kah22 wrote: »
    Slave1 did you make use of IKEA instore design service? I've read good reports about it on other Forums. Has anybody used the service; what's your opinion. I'm hoping to see one of them next week.

As I said in a previous post B&Q will send a designer out free of charge but you have to be near the ready to go stage

Kevin

No, I just looked at dimensions for units and then went and picked them up, 3 double, 1 single and 2 corner units, 100cm high and 40cm deep as it was space space space I was after. I fitted 2 countertops too from ikea, very sturdy. I put in 2 Billy bookcases for more storage and hacked one of them to convert to a 'cleaning' unit for brushes etc, finally I hack two TV benches by turning them upside down and hanging high on walkway through utility room for more storage. Not sure if their in house designers would be open to hacking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Does anyone know at what point IKEA will tell you how much fitting will cost, or is there a link on their website that tells you? (can't find one)

Can you head in there with your design all done on the planner and ask them how much the fitting will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I have my sink in the island and am very glad I did it that way. Dishwasher is beside sink in island which is the deciding factor. If the dishwasher isn't in the island and sink is, it won't work. No splashing on walls, keeps mess away from cooking area so plenty of room to cook etc. When planning it out, I would make sure your dishwasher door when down doesn't stop you opening dish presses or cooker doors on the other side as that would be very annoying.

On raising the cill, or inside 150mm, could you build a window seat or put flower pots or something in the other front window to make it match? Would seem odd with 2 different front windows and its a big expense for very little. The other thing is if you change front window you have to get planning ?

Does anyone know at what point IKEA will tell you how much fitting will cost, or is there a link on their website that tells you? (can't find one)

Can you head ind there with your design all done on the planner and ask them how much the fitting will be?
    if you go to IKEA and work with their designer (instore is free) they'll give you a print out of each item you've selected and its price. The print out will also give the cost of fitting. Be warned they are VERY expensive for fitting, best to spend a little time sourcing a local fitter.

If you've done the design on the IKEA planer then you'll be able to access it instore. A good idea would be to book an appointment with the planner and that way you can go over the plan and the planner may give you some better ideas. Be sure you have your login details with you!

Good luck whatever you decide

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you head in there with your design all done on the planner and ask them how much the fitting will be?
    There fitting is really expensive, there modular systems and are really easy to install. Do it yourself or find a handyman

Advertisement