Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating slabs on dry lining?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

We have two bed rooms which have a drop in temperature once you enter them; that coupled with once you get heat into the room it cools pretty quickly. The rooms are dry lined and we have recently got new windows installed. Having seen the results of people adding insulating boards to rooms I was thinking of doing the same to these rooms.

My plan was to remove all of the dry lining that is there and add the insulating boards directly to the wall. However a few people have said to just fix them to the dry lining rather than the mess of taking off what is existing.

Is there pros/cons of either approach? Neither room is damp (that I can see anyway), but definitely colder that the rest of the house (mainly around corners of the walls).

The house was built in 1969, 9” cavity blocks so its internal insulation or win some money and get external insulation :)

Any advice / help would be great.

Thanks,
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,

We have two bed rooms which have a drop in temperature once you enter them; that coupled with once you get heat into the room it cools pretty quickly. The rooms are dry lined and we have recently got new windows installed. Having seen the results of people adding insulating boards to rooms I was thinking of doing the same to these rooms.

My plan was to remove all of the dry lining that is there and add the insulating boards directly to the wall. However a few people have said to just fix them to the dry lining rather than the mess of taking off what is existing.

Is there pros/cons of either approach? Neither room is damp (that I can see anyway), but definitely colder that the rest of the house (mainly around corners of the walls).

The house was built in 1969, 9” cavity blocks so its internal insulation or win some money and get external insulation :)

Any advice / help would be great.

Thanks,
    N.

You can do either but you will lose more room if you slab over the existing, Doors, windows, window boards etc will get painful.

I stripped mine all back and insulated between the studs 50mm kingspan then slabbed over that.

You will need to worry about a vapour barrier also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Remove dry lining and replace with insulated boards onto solid wall.

Slabing over existing wall will have a cold void / draft and reduce efficiency.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

sorry to hijack thread,

am just doing something similar myself.

Scudo, do you think the insulated slabs directly onto the wall is a better job than just insulating between the studs? If so, why please.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Cavity block construction is well known for its draughts.
    Generally the blocks are open to the eaves at the top, so any air(read: heat) that gets into the cavity will simply disappear out the top.

Look at the gaps around the pipes, floor joists, etc. and add even one hole per year drilled into the cavity (pictures, shelves, etc.) then remember all this air is just gone.

So basically, the most beneficial effect of the insulation is when the wall behind is sealed from any air penetration.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the proper (and dirtier) job will be to strip back and start again. I've also been told that if there is any mould or dampness, this will show it pretty quickly.

Two last Qs:
    Is a vapor barrier needed here? or do these go straight to the wall?
    Is this a DIY job? Not the plastering, but fixing the insulation to the wall?

Thanks again - very much appreciated.
    N

• Advertisement
Advertisement