Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on roofing this?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

im gunna slate this(or someone else is!)
    my block layer has built this up to wall plate height

looking advice on putting hip roof on this garage
    what way would be the best/easiest way to hip roof this garage (if u can edit my attached would b great)
    ive put in one end of the hip but need advice on what way to hip the rest!

C940548F-E10B-4922-BC5A-390F488331BD_zpsjs0ipp93.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

im no expert but that doesnt look right. On the left hand side as you look at it where you have the "notch" - that bit of the roof would have to be steeper than the rest of the roof.. or the wall built higher.

What about splitting it into 2 rectangles.
    Roof the larger one as normal.
    Then the smaller one, again as you would expect if it was by itself - tying it into the larger one.
    So the two ridge boards would not be on the same line.

(Edit: your second post that i was referring to seems to have been deleted)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    im no expert but that doesnt look right. On the left hand side as you look at it where you have the "notch" - that bit of the roof would have to be steeper than the rest of the roof.. or the wall built higher.

What about splitting it into 2 rectangles.
    Roof the larger one as normal.
    Then the smaller one, again as you would expect if it was by itself - tying it into the larger one.
    So the two ridge boards would not be on the same line.

(Edit: your second post that i was referring to seems to have been deleted)
    Sorry yes i deleted it as i was looking at this maybe??

mmm not sure thats right either!

Attached is my rendition...

Does it have to be hipped at the ends?
    If youre doing it yourself without experience, it might be easier for you to do gable ends.

• Advertisement

thanks jimmy i have asked a roofer to come n have a look at it ,ur way looks very complicated to me ,dont think id be able to manage that

you want to be sure the slope is consistant on all surfaces.
    Not sure how you would do that without all four corners of that main ridge board going back at the same slope. You're trying to make your top left hip go back to the corner of the notch - that wont work un less the wall there is higher (which would cause knock on problems all over the place).

Fair play for having a go yourself - interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

If you must have it hipped, then you treat it as a simple rectangle, but build up the 2 wall cutouts up to meet the roofline.

You could do this with timberframing and some cladding.

Or why not extend the roof over the cutout area. Could make a smoking area, barbeque, bike shed etc...

whizbang wrote: »
    If you must have it hipped, then you treat it as a simple rectangle, but build up the 2 wall cutouts up to meet the roofline.

You could do this with timberframing and some cladding.

Or why not extend the roof over the cutout area. Could make a smoking area, barbeque, bike shed etc...
    thanks wiz thats what was recommeded by someone its only over 1 metre square so gunna pvc under it for w walkway and do a standard apex roof with no hips thanks for all comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi see attached
    NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Thats what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

coleria wrote: »
    Thats what your looking for

Quick Sketchup/Indigo render of Coleria's roof:

327287.jpg
    327288.jpg