Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Being a dick"

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've not gotten into trouble, or received an infraction or warning, or anything like that, but it's just a small thing I'm wondering.

Is it ok for users to use the phrase "Don't be a dick" or "you are being a dick", or "you are being dickish", or other similar phrases, but containing these magic words "Be/Being a Dick"?

Would they cause an infraction or warning for "Being a dick".

Is it ok for a Moderator to use a templated insult to tell you to stop insulting people?

We are all aware, "Don't be a dick" has a special place in Boards.ie Lore, but it is that a one-sided special place?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hi all,

I've not gotten into trouble, or received an infraction or warning, or anything like that, but it's just a small thing I'm wondering.

Is it ok for users to use the phrase "Don't be a dick" or "you are being a dick", or "you are being dickish", or other similar phrases, but containing these magic words "Be/Being a Dick"?

Would they cause an infraction or warning for "Being a dick".

Is it ok for a Moderator to use a templated insult to tell you to stop insulting people?

We are all aware, "Don't be a dick" has a special place in Boards.ie Lore, but it is that a one-sided special place?

I liken it to calling someone a troll

Mod says

Stop acting the dick is = to stop trolling.

Just my couple of pennies worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah fine, but it doesn't really address my overall point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you think that someone is being a dick, you should report the post rather than calling them out yourself.

Edit: So, in that respect, it probably is a bit one-sided, but for a good reason. If posters do it - it is back seat modding & that can disrupt threads/lead to rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

yeah fine, but it doesn't really address my overall point.

If you call me a dick in a thread and i take ofence and report it then i would assume the "attack the post not the poster" rule would apply and it would result in an infraction. If a mod calls me a dick in a thread it's probably because i'm being a dick in the thread and mod is pointing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you think that someone is being a dick, you should report the post rather than calling them out yourself.

so in a roundabout way you've told me it's a one-sided affair.

Mods can do it, and that's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See my edit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Usually the Phrase is used as a rule of thumb about general behaviour that is desirable on the site.

I do remember, vaguely, that some people have wanted the phrase to be changed to a more professional/civil one.

"Act in a way that others will perceive to be as beneficial to the site and welcoming and helpful to others." doesn't roll off the tongue.

I think most people reference it to Will Wheton, however, I know it was used on this site long before he is publicly acknowledged to have used it. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wheatons-law

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHo "being a dick" is right up there with "s/he's sound" in terms of meaning free phrases.

One person's idea of a dick is another's idea of detail orientation. (A bit like the way that Ireland is the only place I know where being bold, aka brave/courageous, is regarded as a bad thing).

If I have a problem with someone's behaviour, then I'd rather name the specific behaviour than use a catch-all phrase which, as you say, is actually rude in itself.

I would always say "being uncivilised" rather than "being a dick".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

so in a roundabout way you've told me it's a one-sided affair.

Mods can do it, and that's ok.

Mods do it in the vein of not actually referring to someone as a dick, but utilising one of the site rules "Dont be a dick" in the context of Wheaton's Law.

A mod can't flat out call someone a dick during a discussion. A mod enforcing the "Dont be a dick" rule, that's a different case altogether and is based more on the actions of the poster rather than the poster themselves.

If you think someone is breaking the "Dont be a dick" rule, report them and let the mod deal with it. Calling the poster a dick yourself is both backseat modding and too difficult to distinguish if you're referring to the rule (as you're not a mod) or if you're actually calling the poster a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've fallen foul of this before, I genuinely thought it was a word that was accepted on here at the time. I told somebody to "try and be less of a dick" if they wanted to continue the conversation. I'm only sorry I didn't say something a bit stronger and got my yellow card's worth :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm only sorry I didn't say something a bit stronger and got my yellow card's worth :pac:

:-)

I said to someone (who well deserved it, and got banned shortly afterwards) "you're some tulip". Which simply means you're a very different sort of flower. But still it got a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Actually, this was done to death and eventually ended up with the closure of an account IIRC
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056986772

Advertisement